Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Needs…?

(56 Posts)
Cabbie21 Tue 28-Mar-23 07:51:53

I have always said something needs doing eg This shirt needs washing, but nowadays I hear a past participle being used eg This shirt needs washed.
Are both correct?
The latter grates as I want to say “ needs to be washed”
Any thoughts please?

Caleo Fri 31-Mar-23 10:55:52

Isn't there a popular song "Lay Lady, lay!" ?

Caleo Fri 31-Mar-23 10:51:25

As elderly Edinburgh man said of the pear ripening on his window ledge "That pear needs eating".

Baggs Fri 31-Mar-23 10:46:35

Duvetdiva

I was going to say I’m quite tolerant about regional expressions until I read georgesmum quoting her Cheshire outlaws and now I must defend my neighbours as we definitely don’t speak like that in Cheshire!
However someone close to me from Lancashire often omits the word ‘the’ as in ‘it’s in garage’. But you can’t change the way people talk unless you start when they are young

Are you sure the Lancastrians aren't saying "in't garage" with a silent t?

ditto in parts of Yorkshire.

Romola Fri 31-Mar-23 10:34:21

What annoys me is people mistakenly using the subject pronoun "I " in combination with another person (e.g. my sister and I) when they are the direct or indirect objects in a sentence.
"He came to see my sister and I" is just wrong. Use the object pronoun "me"!
I think it's worse than "My sister and me" as the subject of a sentence: compare the disjunctive French pronoun "moi" as in "Ma soeur et moi, nous allons en ville."

sodapop Fri 31-Mar-23 08:59:56

Just seen this, I won't give the context as it's a spoiler
" someone was sent to a wartery grave"
Death by warts ?

Duvetdiva Fri 31-Mar-23 08:22:34

I was going to say I’m quite tolerant about regional expressions until I read georgesmum quoting her Cheshire outlaws and now I must defend my neighbours as we definitely don’t speak like that in Cheshire!
However someone close to me from Lancashire often omits the word ‘the’ as in ‘it’s in garage’. But you can’t change the way people talk unless you start when they are young

Katie59 Fri 31-Mar-23 07:37:01

It’s part of any regional accent, different words are used and used differently, it’s maybe not kings English but as long as it’s understandable I don’t see a problem.

Some modern terms irritate me , backstory, meet with, several others

LucyW Thu 30-Mar-23 20:32:14

I cannot stand "yous" and have even heard my son of 24 mutter "ewes are female sheep" when he hears some say "yous" as he has heard me say it so often. It is definitely a Scottish thing. One thing that drove my very correct late husband mad was when "how" was used instead of "why" eg "I am going to Edinburgh tomorrow" to which the response would be "how?" He just thought it was so silly which I suppose it is but as a Scot I knew the response to such a question would be " to do the Christmas shopping/get my haircut/etc" not "by bus".

Grammaretto Thu 30-Mar-23 19:35:02

I'm with Marydoll on this. It needs addressed!
Yous as a plural of you is the local dialect here south of Edinburgh.

There are some expressions which sound lazy to me. Bored of is one.

Some Scots: Back of the hour for telling the time. Meaning past.

Outwith as mentioned
There are plenty to be heard on the bus or up the town when getting my messages shopping

Coffeenut Thu 30-Mar-23 19:34:04

Yes. It does grate a lot. I blame mobile phone users and texters.

Starseeker Thu 30-Mar-23 19:31:46

What really bugs me is when people say,
off of
For example ‘I got off of the bus’
‘I got off the bus’ is perfectly acceptable without the added ‘of’
Is this American?

Marydoll Thu 30-Mar-23 19:20:30

It makes sense: if the singular is you, why shouldnt the plural be yous?🤣

Marydoll Thu 30-Mar-23 19:18:49

yous is also very common in the west of Scotland.

Jaxjacky Thu 30-Mar-23 19:17:31

It is Irish HannahLoisLuke.

rowyn Thu 30-Mar-23 18:43:03

Beebawbabbity

That’s what I say, lol. How would you say it? I’m Scottish if that makes a difference😁

I'm bored WITH this dialogue. (Not really).
And no, being Scottish makes no difference if you wish to speak/write grammatically.
However, you can of course use the Scottish dialect if you prefer, when grammar is no longer the same.

I did my first degree in Aberdeen many moons ago, and the phrase that really amused me was " Jock got me down on the bus'. When translated it meant that the speaker saw Jock on the bus.

jerseygirl Thu 30-Mar-23 18:05:51

Or Dont even !! what does that mean

winterwhite Thu 30-Mar-23 18:00:06

My mother, whose own mother was from the north east used to say 'going down the town' for going grocery shopping. Don't think she used other similar constructions.

I'd say that 'that needs washed' was a sort of homely jargon rather than dialect. Would users also say of the grass 'that needs cut' or in an office 'this needs filed'? Just wondering.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 30-Mar-23 14:33:49

What sets my teeth on edge is yous instead of you. The friend who says it is of Irish descent so perhaps it’s another local dialect thing.
Also can’t bear haitch instead of aitch and I instead of me. These crop up everywhere, even from BBC presenters.

Beebawbabbity Thu 30-Mar-23 13:41:56

That’s what I say, lol. How would you say it? I’m Scottish if that makes a difference😁

missdeke Thu 30-Mar-23 13:38:54

rowyn

Definitely grammatically incorrect!

But not as unbearably incorrect as 'bored of'

Bored of makes me cringe, and then today on This Morning there was a cook who has just brought out a cook book called 'Bored of Lunch'.

It's an evolvement used mainly by the younger generation, so is now accepted usage. But it still makes me cringe, it just sounds wrong.

Callistemon21 Thu 30-Mar-23 13:11:37

Saggi

When someone misuses ‘laying’ I just say “eggs or bricks”…. they looked bemused!

In Bristol some might say 'I bin led down orl day'

I've been lying down all day

cc Thu 30-Mar-23 12:36:50

Marydoll

I've always said, needs washed

This is a feature of Scots dialect: “This is needing cleaned ”, so people who say “This needs cleaned ” are either Scots, or influenced by Scottish English. Educated Scots do use dialect features when they think they are speaking Standard English. Continuous tenses of the verb “need” are another of these features.

By the way, I am an educated Scot. 😉

Yes, I agree. It's correctly used by many Scots that I know.

But "Go toilet" is one I hate, my adopted granddaughter used this phrase when she first arrived.

Marydoll Thu 30-Mar-23 12:22:27

ninamoore

Needs washed is purely bad grammar

Who says?

It is perfectly acceptable in Scottish dialect.

ninamoore Thu 30-Mar-23 12:19:47

Needs washed is purely bad grammar

rowyn Thu 30-Mar-23 11:41:49

Definitely grammatically incorrect!

But not as unbearably incorrect as 'bored of'