Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Needs…?

(55 Posts)
Cabbie21 Tue 28-Mar-23 07:51:53

I have always said something needs doing eg This shirt needs washing, but nowadays I hear a past participle being used eg This shirt needs washed.
Are both correct?
The latter grates as I want to say “ needs to be washed”
Any thoughts please?

Juliet27 Tue 28-Mar-23 07:56:09

As annoying as ‘I’ll come with’ !

notnecessarilywiser Tue 28-Mar-23 08:06:39

Agreed. It's on a par with "going school/toilet/Sainsbury's" - really offends my ear!

Marydoll Tue 28-Mar-23 08:08:43

I've always said, needs washed

This is a feature of Scots dialect: “This is needing cleaned ”, so people who say “This needs cleaned ” are either Scots, or influenced by Scottish English. Educated Scots do use dialect features when they think they are speaking Standard English. Continuous tenses of the verb “need” are another of these features.

By the way, I am an educated Scot. 😉

notgran Tue 28-Mar-23 08:09:50

I wonder if this is a regional thing. I haven't ever heard anyone use "needs" in that way.

Cabbie21 Tue 28-Mar-23 08:22:29

Really, notgran? What do you say?

eazybee Tue 28-Mar-23 09:19:24

Well, needs must but other than that I have never heard This needs cleaned.
I go toilet I have heard frequently and it revolts me.
Oh, and I will write you. Dreadful.

eddiecat78 Tue 28-Mar-23 09:22:23

I think it might be regional. I have spent my whole life saying "I'm going a walk", not "going for a walk". I raised this on another forum and discovered several others (but not all) brought up near to Birmingham did the same. Meanwhile I have a Yorkshire friend who always says "while" instead of "until"

Nurse60 Tue 28-Mar-23 09:25:38

This triggered a memory of my late Irish grandparents whereby one of them would often say " will i make a cup of tea now" - makes me smile to this day!

NanaDana Tue 28-Mar-23 09:28:13

Often heard that use of "needs" here "oop North".. also "could do with". Doesn't grate for me. What does is hearing : "I was like.. she was like". Also dropped "g's" at the end of words, even by some Beeb presenters, plus the likes of Priti Patel with her "asylum seekin' ". Our language deserves better.

GrannySomerset Tue 28-Mar-23 09:35:32

I had noticed this construction and assumed it was Scots dialect; my Yorkshire in-laws used while in place of until. It would be sad to lose some of these local forms of speech, quite different from just plain sloppy.

Sparklefizz Tue 28-Mar-23 11:28:56

I get irritated when I read "I looked out the window" instead of "out of" - mostly American rather than the UK (as far as I'm aware).

sodapop Tue 28-Mar-23 13:14:48

I hadn't heard this before either, I always say "the shirt needs washing"

I always smile when one of my American family asks a child if they "want to go potty" different meaning in UK obviously.

Baggs Tue 28-Mar-23 13:52:00

"Needs washed" and similar phrases are standard Scottish parlance. Get annoyed if you like, or just accept that different regions sometimes have different ways of speakng from what you're used to. I love regional variations in the use of my mother tongue.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Mar-23 14:09:23

Sparklefizz

I get irritated when I read "I looked out the window" instead of "out of" - mostly American rather than the UK (as far as I'm aware).

Nope - west of Scotland. It may well be American usage too, but they got it, like Hallowe'en from us.

Blossoming Tue 28-Mar-23 14:16:28

I worked on a project at a manufacturing facility in Cumbria for about a year and I remember the engineering reports often contained the comment ‘This needs fixed”. Seems to be a regional thing.

Kalu Tue 28-Mar-23 14:22:32

I often look out the window or, on occasion, look out the door. Not in the least irritating, rather, regardless of how well educated one is, acceptable Scottish dialect.

Doodledog Tue 28-Mar-23 14:28:36

I would say it needs washing, and probably 'will I make a cup of tea?' I think so, anyway - maybe I'd be more likely to say 'shall'? I don't know - I'd have to catch myself saying it. There is both Scots and Irish influence on my English speech though. #mongrel

Georgesgran Tue 28-Mar-23 14:36:59

My Cheshire ‘outlaws’ go shop, go school, go golf - never putting to before the noun. In the NE, I’m more likely to say ‘that needs a good wash’ - no idea what a bad wash would be!

MiniMoon Tue 28-Mar-23 14:49:33

I'm from Cumberland and I say that things need a wash too.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 15:49:23

Marydoll

I've always said, needs washed

This is a feature of Scots dialect: “This is needing cleaned ”, so people who say “This needs cleaned ” are either Scots, or influenced by Scottish English. Educated Scots do use dialect features when they think they are speaking Standard English. Continuous tenses of the verb “need” are another of these features.

By the way, I am an educated Scot. 😉

That's where I've heard it, Marydoll 🙂
My dear friend was a 'posh educated' Scot and she used that expression. "This car is needing cleaned" etc

Cabbie21 Tue 28-Mar-23 16:10:26

That fits. I hear it most from my Scottish relatives, but from others too.

Marydoll Tue 28-Mar-23 16:36:34

Who is to say what is correct or not?
Language is always evolving, that's the joy of it!

crazyH Tue 28-Mar-23 16:39:14

My English comes from Wren and Martin’s Grammar …

Marydoll Tue 28-Mar-23 17:17:18

I tried Wren and Martin's online grammar checker and it accepted, This car needs cleaning. wink