Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

What a word!

(5 Posts)
ferry23 Sat 05-Sept-26 21:32:25

I'm probably stretching things a bit putting this here, but I learnt a new word today and it's wonderful. I keep saying it -

verisimilitude -

perhaps everyone else knows this word, but I didn't. Just a wonderful word 🙂

sodapop Sat 05-Sept-26 21:38:57

Excellent word ferry23 I have seen it written down but have never had cause to use it in conversation.

Gmax3 Thu 01-Oct-26 12:55:09

Sometimes, we remember the when & where of learning a new word. For verisimilitude, I was reading a review of the film, 300. Ever since, I've been fascinated with this word! But I only rarely find opportunities to use it!

Gmax3 Thu 01-Oct-26 12:58:13

Here's a fun word for you
Onimonipea
Which are words that make sounds - Bam! Pow! Whoosh, goes the wind
Pronounced ah' nuh mah' nuh pee' uh
Say it fast 3 times!
;-)

butterandjam Thu 01-Oct-26 13:42:14

Gmax3

Here's a fun word for you
Onimonipea
Which are words that make sounds - Bam! Pow! Whoosh, goes the wind
Pronounced ah' nuh mah' nuh pee' uh
Say it fast 3 times!
;-)

Unfortunately, you pee-uhd up the wrong tree.

You meant onomatopoeia, which is pronounced an entirely different way.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia