Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Grants and benefits to help you pay your energy bills

(41 Posts)
PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 15:21:35

I hope this helps sort out the different payment you may or should be able to get.

The Winter Fuel Payment. This is a benefit that goes to all who have reached state pension age.

Cold Weather Payments. These are one-off payments that are triggered by exceptionally cold weather for a set period. This is a means-tested benefit. Those on Pension Guarantee Credit should receive these automatically as do those on some other benefits.

The Warm Home Discount scheme is run by and funded by energy companies. They each have a core group which will include those on Pension Guarantee Credit so should mean that group get it automatically. Each company also has a "broader" group - not always the same. If your income is just above the Pension Guarantee level it would be worth applying.

MamaCaz Mon 25-Oct-21 15:46:49

Based on my experience of applying for this on my Mum's behalf, I know that British Gas are good, allowing pensioners to claim as part of the Broader Group.

I have found that the Broader Group criteria of many companies focus on younger people in receipt of certain types of benefit, effectively ruling out pensioners who are not in receipt of the Guaranteed Credit element of Pension Credit.

It would be useful to know which other companies make this discount available to non core-group pensioners, as it it is something to take into consideration when comparing deals (when there are such things again!) and deciding which company to change to.

MamaCaz Mon 25-Oct-21 15:47:45

Just to clarify- I was talking about Warm Home Discount

midgey Mon 25-Oct-21 16:00:14

If any one in the house hold has a stoma or similar (such as a permanent catheter) or a condition that requires extra need for water you are able to apply for Water Sure. You do have to have a water meter but your bills will be capped. I think it may apply to families on certain benefits as well.

Chestnut Mon 25-Oct-21 16:17:29

Just had my winter fuel letter today and it's down to £100. Normally £200 every year. I really think this should not be paid to people on higher incomes who don't need it. I know some people give it back but lots probably don't. And if you give it back it won't go to some elderly person living on the breadline.

midgey Mon 25-Oct-21 16:19:56

Chestnut is that because your partner now qualifies? My letter told me £200 but I am widowed.

Chestnut Mon 25-Oct-21 16:33:06

Nothing has changed. I just thought it had gone down because the government can't afford the normal amount!

Chestnut Mon 25-Oct-21 16:37:48

Just noticed that they think I live with someone else who qualifies.....which I don't. I'll have to query it.

PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 16:39:40

It shouldn't have changed if your circumstances haven't changed Chestnut.

Have a look a this and see if it's right. www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/how-much-youll-get

PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 16:44:55

Just a thought - have you got a partner who has started getting the State Pension since last year? I think that would mean you get half and they get the other half.

Chestnut Mon 25-Oct-21 16:55:40

Nothing has changed. I'll have to query it, should definitely be £200 as I live alone.

Chestnut Mon 25-Oct-21 17:02:10

Just phoned them. All sorted. Goodness knows why they think I'm suddenly living with someone.

PippaZ Mon 25-Oct-21 17:08:23

Maybe that was their Christmas wish for you *Chestnut" grin. They sound as if they have got back to being more contactable than they have been.

MamaCaz Mon 25-Oct-21 17:40:05

Warm Home Discount Broader Group:

If you are with Scottish Power, are over 65 AND your total gross household income is less than £16,190, you might be eligible and should put in an application asap for this year's Warm Home Discount.

The criteria are similar to those of British Gas, mentioned upthread.

I will try to check out other suppliers, but if those criteria above apply to you (and you are not already getting this discount as part of the core group), you have nothing to lose by checking your own company's criteria right now.

If any of you reading this who are pensioners who are not eligible to be part of the core group, but have successfully claimed the Warm Home Discount as part of the Broader Group, please consider sharing the name of your energy company on here, as it could be very useful to others.

MamaCaz Mon 25-Oct-21 18:37:47

EDF A very broad range of criteria for the Broader Group, including:
Gross taxable annual household income* of less than £16,190 and ... aged 62 or over

www.edfenergy.com/for-home/help-support/warm-home-discount

MamaCaz Mon 25-Oct-21 18:46:58

EON More restricted Broader Group eligibility for pensioners.

This seemed the most relevant, but check the link below to see if anything else might apply to you:

Are not recieving the Guarantee element of Pension Credit on 4th July 2021and either Born on or before 31 March 1956 and in receipt of Council Tax Reduction for low income. OR ^ In receipt of the Savings Element of Pension Credit only^

utilityswitchboard.com/gas-electricity/providers/eon/warm-home-discount/

MamaCaz Mon 25-Oct-21 19:02:35

Octopus

Their Broader Group criteria include this:

Your total annual household income is £16,190 or less (before tax and National Insurance) along with any one of the following:
- You're aged 62 and over (OR receive any pensioner premium)

- You receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

- You receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA), any disability premium (all rates) or disabled child element of Universal Credit

- You receive any Income-related benefit which includes:Carer’s Premium and Carer’s Allowance (for someone within the household) ORAttendance Allowance (for applicant or their partner) OR Industrial Injuries Benefit

That is just a selection that might apply to some Gransnetters, but here's the link to the full list.

octopus.energy/blog/warm-home-discount/

Saetana Tue 26-Oct-21 10:50:38

British Gas include people in the support group for ESA and those receiving PIP in their wider group for Warm Home Discount - my husband has been getting it for a few years now.

Keeper1 Tue 26-Oct-21 11:08:02

I just looked up Winter Fuel Payment snd it is for people born on or before 36th September 1955

Keeper1 Tue 26-Oct-21 11:08:25

Sorry obviously 26th September

polnan Tue 26-Oct-21 11:11:38

EDF seem to operate this facility.

win Tue 26-Oct-21 11:24:50

Contact Ecoe, they will you every detail you need to know and apply for everything on your behalf.

Schumee Tue 26-Oct-21 11:44:06

I recently applied for a water meter as I live alone now. Unfortunately, after visiting to fit a meter, I was told that my plumbing system doesnt have room for a water meter but the water company have put me on Single Occupancy Billing which has reduced my payments by a considerable amount

Gabrielle56 Tue 26-Oct-21 11:55:01

Chestnut

Nothing has changed. I just thought it had gone down because the government can't afford the normal amount!

The gov can afford a mahoosive amount in excess of what it lies to us about! It's not their money IT'S OURS!!!! WE should be getting back what we paid in for all our working lives! And two fingers to all the bleating younger gens. Moaning about us because they're jealous we can have a lie in whenever we want!?

Riggie Tue 26-Oct-21 12:03:41

Just to add that there's a qualifying date for winter fuel allowance. I have just reached pension age but have missed out on winter fuel for this year as my birthday was after the qualifying date.