Gransnet forums

Pets

Cats facing up to each other, should I worry?

(27 Posts)
numberplease Wed 16-May-12 16:01:24

We took in a cat from a rescue centre a few weeks ago, a one year old neutered male. He`s settled in extremely well, but has only started to go out this week, after having his vaccinations. He`s met up with what seems to be the only other cat around our immediate area, and they stand about a foot apart, yowling at each other, VERY loudly. I`ve been standing guard in case a fight ensues, as we`ve never had a male cat before, always females, and am not sure if they`re squaring up to fight, just declaring each others territory, or making friends. Anyone any ideas?

greenmossgiel Wed 16-May-12 16:06:15

I wouldn't worry, numberplease. He has to assert himself and this is what he's doing - showing the other cat that it's not welcome on his (Pepper's) territory. They may end up having a bit of a scrap, but you'll just have to let him carry on with it, or the other cat will think Pepper's a pushover. (My Daisy looks very angelic, but has definitely asserted herself in the immediate area)! smile

Jacey Wed 16-May-12 16:06:20

Yes ...they're deciding who's 'top dog'!! grin
Once they've agreed the 'pecking order' they'll be fine hmm
Usually these things get sorted before blood is drawn.

whenim64 Wed 16-May-12 16:15:40

It's interesting to watch them. We had a sweet cat who would arch his back and spit, then his tail would double in size as he thrashed it angrily on the path at his opponent. Then they would face each other for ages until the other cat would walk away cautiously - one false move and it would get physical! It's all about posturing grin

greenmossgiel Wed 16-May-12 16:17:39

Daisy's ear appears to be a bit 'chewed' this week....confused

numberplease Wed 16-May-12 16:32:45

I thought that that was what it might be, but have never come across it before with any of our other cats. I didn`t even realise that he had that much noise in him, lol!!

greenmossgiel Wed 16-May-12 17:11:23

Bless him! grin

Ariadne Wed 16-May-12 17:20:58

It's what they do! Most of it for show until they decide reaaly to go for it.

Do read:
Paul Gallico's "Jenny" or, even better, "The Silent Miaow" ( written by a cat; a hand book for kittens and strays on how to take over a house.)

Cats are one of my other passions!

Anne58 Wed 16-May-12 17:32:01

Ariadne the bit in The Silent Miaow" about what to do if a visiting person sits in "your" chair is very funny!

Ariadne Wed 16-May-12 17:33:32

Meant to say - in my life with cats, a lovely vet somewhere said:

"You know, Mrs A, cats do not readily extend the paw of friendship."

Anne58 Wed 16-May-12 17:38:46

In our little close of 7 houses, the cat population outnumbers the human one! They all seem to get along fine, our Maurice is a particularly chummy sort with other cats, which is nice, but I did think he was taking things a little too far when he brought his friend Fluff Gordon from next door round to share his cat biscuits.

greenmossgiel Wed 16-May-12 19:51:42

I bought The Silent Miaow years ago, and still have it - I must read it again! smile

shysal Wed 16-May-12 20:15:57

My boy cat has been squaring up to the neighbouring male cats more than usual, it must be the season! We have 3 humans, 4 male cats and 4 female cats between me and my immediate neighbours. They are remarkably tolerant of each other most of the time, but boys will be boys, so if one turns it's back after a stand-off there is a scuffle. Fur flies and it sounds horrific, but results in hardly any injuries. My rear garden slopes steeply so a few times I have seen a pair of toms rolling together scrapping all the way down the hill. My neighbours do not intervene, but I can't help rushing to Bugsie's aid, I think it's a Mum's instinct!

nanaej Wed 16-May-12 20:34:55

Our cat Effie died in October aged 17. Her brother Stan died 18 months previously. We have always had cats and I like them as pets. I like dogs too but would not have one as a pet as I do not like the smell of damp dog and I find them too sycophantic as a pet! My quandary is whether to get another cat or not? We have so many birds in our garden and I would be sorry to lose them. To cat or not to cat? confused

numberplease Wed 16-May-12 21:32:53

I must get a copy of The Silent Miaow, it sounds like the feline version of How To Be a Little Sod!

shysal Wed 16-May-12 22:39:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shysal Wed 16-May-12 22:45:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ariadne Thu 17-May-12 06:27:44

I'm so glad you like the book, folks. But do try "Jenny" too. It's about a boy who wants a cat. Then he has an accident and wakes up in the body of a stray cat. All a bit whimsical, I know, but what follows is what cat lovers will respond to. He meets Jenny, a small, female story, and she has to teach him the rules about how to be a cat. For example:

"Pausing on the sill, or lingering on the threshold; you know what you are leaving, but you don't know what you are going out to."

"When in doubt, wash."

Yes?

shysal Thu 17-May-12 09:38:47

I have ordered a used copy of The Silent Miaow from Amazon for 1p plus postage, I look forward to reading it.

Ariadne Thu 17-May-12 10:48:21

Oh, good. I do hope you enjoy it, shysal.

goldengirl Thu 17-May-12 10:51:20

Numberplease we have a similar problem. We have two neutered males - brothers who adore each other. Another cat - a beautiful, fluffy tabby, I have to admit - comes not just into our garden but has been through our cat flap on several occasions. At first it seemed there might be a satisfactory menage a trois but there's obviously been a row and one of mine hurtles outside for a scrap whilst the other watches from the comfort of the window sill. However if the noise is prolonged he also goes out and sees off the intruder himself. The intruder is now less invasive - I hope for good - but fur did fly and both brothers have sustained minor scratches as a result. I have chased the intruder with a bucket of water [before the hosepipe ban grin] but I should really let the boys deal with it themselves - there are 2 of them after all and it gets them off their cosy seats and gives them some exercise! I find it's me who gets worried about it all!

whenim64 Thu 17-May-12 11:50:57

My next door neighbour has acquired a kitten who is now being allowed out into the garden. She is gorgeous - extremely fluffy tabby with such a lovely face, amber eyes and the thickest whiskers I've ever seen. She has learned to climb onto the outhouse rooves at the end of our gardens and makes her way along the ridge tiles then down onto the fence. Yesterday, she was picking her way along the ridge when she came face to face with a baby squirrel, and neither knew what to do. In the end, she ignored the squirrel and walked past it along the slope of the roof, whilst the squirrel sat and watched her. Lovely smile

Anagram Thu 17-May-12 11:55:27

Pedant Alert!!!

goldengirl, you can actually use buckets of water during a hosepipe ban - just not hosepipes! grin

shysal Thu 17-May-12 13:10:23

Better still - keep a spray bottle of water handy!

goldengirl Thu 17-May-12 14:41:42

Anagram: I'd feel even more guilty heaving all that water just over a cat rather than a sharp one-off shot with a pressure hose ie finger over the end. I reckon the hose could produce less water than a bucket - depending on the size of the bucket of course. A spray doesn't quite have the oomph that I feel is needed shysal but thanks for the idea. I've taken to chasing it instead - not very elegant when in one's nightie!