Gransnet forums

Pets

For The Love Of Dogs: Paul O'Grady

(72 Posts)
whenim64 Mon 03-Sep-12 20:32:41

Did anyone watch the first programme on ITV just now? I'm smitten! All those beautiful dogs in Battersea Dogs Home, some harrowing stories of neglected and abandoned dogs, unwanted puppies, lovely staff caring for them. Paul's family of pets and farm animals were shown at the start of the programme. Can't wait for next week smile

Aka Sat 25-May-13 22:44:45

Dogs not digs!

Aka Sat 25-May-13 22:44:34

anti-allergy digs?

Aka Sat 25-May-13 22:41:58

What are you like around dogs that don't shed? Some dogs are less likely to give you allergic symptoms.

laidback Sat 25-May-13 21:28:40

When I move to the country...I would love to have a dog. I am totally allergic and take anti histamines when I know am gonna be in contact with dogs or cats. Anyone have this problem? And how do you cope? Can u do it on a daily basis? Do you build up some kind of immunity?

Badgermol Sat 25-May-13 18:39:38

I love the programme, I have 2 Jack Russells, one behaves well one completely out of control but I wouldn't be without them
I love all TV prgrammes involving animals

shysal Fri 17-May-13 19:13:28

I was in tears yet again! I am so pleased that Ethel the lost Jack Russel was reunited with her owner. All the dogs featured yesterday had lovely natures, and Paul is wonderful with them.

nanna7 Fri 17-May-13 18:33:38

I watched this programme last night and fell in love with the mother and daughter who couldn't bear to be separated. Such love. We humans should feel ashamed to treat these beautiful animals so badly (in some cases)' Let's hope we see them find a loving home next week.

MrsSB Fri 10-May-13 12:02:37

We never used to like Paul O'Grady until we saw him in this programme, you really do see a different side to him, clearly a man who very much loves his dogs. The staff at Battersea are wonderful too. And as for the dogs, well they are just gorgeous!

glammanana Fri 10-May-13 09:36:05

I loved it once again a masterpiece by Paul O'Grady he is such a softy when it comes to animals and so genuine with his concern for the animals.What a charmer Frankie is and so handsome,how could anyone abandon him as they did, shameful !! at least he will enjoy the rest of his time enjoying the company of his friends.

noodles Fri 10-May-13 09:35:32

dorsetpennt Me too.

dorsetpennt Fri 10-May-13 09:30:30

I'm not 'allowed' to watch any animal programmes as it always seems to upset me - pathetic I know. I lost my last black Lab 8 years ago and have never really got over it. Any programme with dogs sets me off - any programmes with animals being badly treated, shot, killing each other sets me off. So I don't watch them. What a wuss you say??

Aka Fri 10-May-13 09:28:30

Sadly I missed it. But watching the 10 o'clock news was struck by his resemblance to Alex Ferguson ... does anyone else agree?

sunflowersuffolk Fri 10-May-13 09:04:11

I never liked him that much in his Lily Savage days, but over the past few years have really warmed to him. I enjoyed his book At your Mothers knee too. I think he had some health scares a while ago and he now has a farm with a variety of animals and really loves all animals and nature, a lovely caring person. I missed most of last nights programme so will catch up on iplayer.

shysal Fri 10-May-13 08:06:57

I love this programme! I used not to be a fan of Paul O'Grady, but he is great in this series. I wonder whether he will take another one home! He does get attached to the wrinky ones doesn't he? The families were wonderful to take on the two featured in yesterday's episode. Well worth a look on iplayer for anyone who missed it-have a hankie ready!

merlotgran Thu 09-May-13 22:13:45

I'm going to have to watch it on iPlayer. DS rang up and wanted to chat about the next bank holiday when we are ALL going to have a get-together (can't wait) so I got side-tracked.

gracesmum Thu 09-May-13 21:08:25

Oh I did - wasn't t lovely? Even DH who is NOT a softie when it comes to dogs was harrumphing into his hankie!!

whenim64 Thu 09-May-13 21:00:09

Oh, did you watch it? The lovely woman who took in Frankie the bulldog to join her large bulldog family is wonderful. I hope his health lasts out.

whenim64 Thu 09-May-13 20:34:39

It's on again.....! Hurray! grin

crimson Tue 25-Sep-12 13:49:58

Thanks everybody. shysal; just look up the list of genetic faults that chinese cresteds have; it's frightening [apart from all the other stuff, their teeth drop out!]. When I thought I might lose my dog I tried to work out what other breed of dog I might have, thinking that if whippets were very prone to skin cancers I aught to look elsewhere so I looked at various poodle crosses. Chinese cresteds are strange in that you get the hairless ones and the really fluffy ones [I can't remember what they call them; puffballs or something]. The ones I know are rather snappy and yappy but that's probably because the owner has lots of them. I find these poodle crosses strange in that before poodle crosses became popular I hardly ever saw a poodle; 3 in twenty years probably [I look out for unusual breeds of dog all the time and accost people in the street/on the beach if I see one] so where are all these poodles coming from that other dogs are being croosed with? I saw a cockerpoo puppy a few weeks ago [to die for; melted my heart]. Labradoodles can be enormous; I saw one on the beach one day and the owners had no idea how much more the dog was going to grow. Saw a golden retriever/poodle cross a few weeks ago and he was gorgeous and [because of the retriever bit I guess] really obedient. Someone with a curly coated retriever [which, of course I thought was a poodle cross] said it's a falacy that poodle crosses don't shed hair and are ok for people with allergies as well.

shysal Tue 25-Sep-12 13:30:54

crimson on the subject of chinese crested dogs, on my local walk the other day I met a man with a 'crestepoo' a crested crossed with a poodle - she was gorgeous, so full of character! I would have loved to take her home with me, but my cats would have disapeared!
I am so pleased to hear that Hattie has the all clear, hopefully that will be the end of the expense too! sunshine

merlotgran Tue 25-Sep-12 13:28:58

Good news, crimson flowers

crimson Tue 25-Sep-12 12:46:04

Good news! Vet left a message to say biopsy back and lumps are benign!! I was actually going to phone them and ask if the vet would leave a message and tell me exactly what the results were [even if bad] as I wanted to know straight away [none of the 'and how are you today, crimson; isn't the weather awful']. I felt that, the quicker the result came back the more chance of it being a good one. She's back there today to have her stitches out but I phoned the receptionist and told her to give the purveyor of good news a big kiss! [better from her than an old crone like me]. Now to find something else to worry about....confused

merlotgran Mon 24-Sep-12 21:25:01

Good luck with the results, crimson. I missed it tonight but I'll catch up on iplayer.

gracesmum Mon 24-Sep-12 21:23:14

Paws crossed for hattie, grace [woof] emoticon

crimson Mon 24-Sep-12 21:17:17

Missed it again. On the subject of vets fees, Hatties biopsy and stuff has cost £500 and counting so far. I am insured but only for 12 months per condition. Still awaiting biopsy results sad but spoke to someone today who has several chinese crested dogs and they get benign lumps all the time. Which reminds me I have to give her a valerian tablet tonight to calm her down before another trip to the vets tomorrow; they are supposed to help with the firework phobia she's got as well. There was a shih tzu at the vets last week that looked just like Buster.