Gransnet forums

Pets

For The Love Of Dogs: Paul O'Grady

(71 Posts)
whenim64 Mon 03-Sep-12 20:32:41

Did anyone watch the first programme on ITV just now? I'm smitten! All those beautiful dogs in Battersea Dogs Home, some harrowing stories of neglected and abandoned dogs, unwanted puppies, lovely staff caring for them. Paul's family of pets and farm animals were shown at the start of the programme. Can't wait for next week smile

merlotgran Mon 03-Sep-12 21:00:22

I loved it, when and watched it with my two Jack Russells on my lap grin

whenim64 Mon 03-Sep-12 21:09:07

My basset watched it, upside down with her legs in the air grin

johanna Mon 03-Sep-12 21:42:41

Sorry, missed it.
When is it on when?
And you have a Basset?
The most gentle wonderful disobedient persons - they are not dogs, are they, you would want to know.

glitabo Mon 03-Sep-12 21:50:14

I only saw the second half but have the sky+ set to record the rest of the series. Paul O' Grady seemed very genuine and did not do the weepy celebrity thing. I loved the programme.

whenim64 Mon 03-Sep-12 22:07:48

johanna it's on ITV at 8pm every Monday for the next few weeks.

And, yes, I chose a basset when I retired because I wanted a dog person with a mind of her own, instead of a biddable dog. She certainly knows what she wants! She has sussed me out and knows how far over the boundary she can go if she persists. Love her to bits! grin

merlotgran Mon 03-Sep-12 22:19:52

We have bred Jack Russells for years but our mother/daughter combination that we have now will be the end of the line. We are getting too long in the tooth for all the hard work of breeding/training etc. DD2 has the brother of our Peggy so it's lovely to hear of his exploits and I spoil him to death whenever I visit.

johanna Mon 03-Sep-12 22:21:55

Thank you when
Made a note of it.

Nanadogsbody Mon 10-Sep-12 10:12:59

Was woken up this morning with a furry face and bad breath inches from my nose. No, not MrDogsbody(though now I think on there is a resemblance), but Taffy, one of my two much-loved Lhasas. He obviously thought it was time I got up and let him out. Couldn't be cross at him for coming to find me as he was so happy when I emerged. That's what I love about my dogs, they are so easy to please. Hope Paul Grady doesn't clash with the OAP drinkers programme tonight. hmm

whenim64 Mon 10-Sep-12 10:25:34

My dog sits and looks at me quietly and when I open my eyes properly (I peep to see what she's doing) she puts her heavy head across my neck before trying to wash my face. Very effective at getting me up grin

Nanadogsbody Mon 10-Sep-12 16:07:05

I had a dog like that once when. I could be fast asleep and he would come and sit quietly and stare at me ....and this woke me up! I could sense the stare. Think yours employs more direct folow up tactics though.

Old, drunk and disorderly BBC1 7.30pm and Paul O'Grady different channel at 8.00pm. Clashes with University Challenge but never mind.

whenim64 Mon 10-Sep-12 20:28:05

Oh, those little Jack Russell pups are adorable! No wonder Paul O'Grady is enjoying himself so much. What a lovely programme smile

Nanadogsbody Mon 10-Sep-12 20:42:52

I bet he end up with a fourth dog. smile

Nanadogsbody Mon 10-Sep-12 20:44:16

PS so far this thread is 'safe' from .... Shhhhh grin

whenim64 Mon 10-Sep-12 20:49:11

I wouldn't be surprised! I'm very tempted myself grin. My dog would love a little playmate. I'm going to lie down in a darkened room until the urge passes grin

crimson Mon 10-Sep-12 20:54:24

I used to love seeing his dog's on that Ch 4 teatime programme he used to do [you know, the one where he alternated with Richard and Judy]. I know he's gay and all that but I've always rather fancied him blush.

glammanana Mon 10-Sep-12 23:44:29

The programme is wonderful and he is so into the care of animals,I also think he will end up with another playmate for his dogs at home he does a lot of good work for animal charities and is a really lovely man,he used to live not far from where I live now years ago (he was married at the time)but he moved away to follow his career.
crimson a lot of my friends are gay guys and they are all very attractive men and I must say they are the best friends that I have ever had.I wait now for next weeks episode to see how the puppy JRs are getting on with being bottle fed,I did that once with two of my Bonnies basset pups we all took turns every 3 hrs for 4 weeks (it makes me tired just thinking about it) but they both survived one lives not far away and I see her on New Brighton beach most days.

Nanadogsbody Tue 11-Sep-12 12:30:36

glammanana I once had a Bassett for about three weeks. Friends were moving away and wanted to re-home him. But we couldn't cope with him!! He tried to mate the cat and cushions and when taken for a walk would sit down after half a mile and refuse to budge. They're very heavy dogs to carry and I got abused by two elderly ladies when I tried to drag him. I had to tie him to a fence and go back for the car. Happily I found a good home for him as a stud dog, a duty I expect he fulfilled admirably. grin

shysal Tue 11-Sep-12 13:20:17

I read somewhere that he did give a home to one of the dogs, I wonder which one? At his own insistence he signed a contract forbidding himself from adopting a dog, but obviously it did not work! He probably went back after filming was finished.

whenim64 Tue 11-Sep-12 13:52:41

My girl is a beautiful basset (on my photos) and she has her own stubborn persistent character, which I love. For a low lying dog with little legs she is heavy - 55lbs, which is quite difficult when lifting her into the car, because she claims she can't jump up. Funnily enough, her little legs don't stop her having the same reach as a German shepherd when she is attempting to surf the kitchen worktops for any food she has her eye on! grin

I forgive her everything - she is just the best you could hope for with children smile

Nanadogsbody Tue 11-Sep-12 14:00:31

Hi when I saw your lovely Bassett and I'm sure you'll agree they are very stubborn persistent. I have two lovely Lhasas and would never be without a dog. Watching this programme has made me think that when I have to have a new dog (hopefully not for years) I may go for a rescue one.

Nanadogsbody Tue 11-Sep-12 14:01:48

shysal I wondered about the little dog that's just given birth??? We could open a book on it! hmm

soop Tue 11-Sep-12 14:56:24

when I enjoyed looking at your photos. The images of your grandchildren are delightful. Your Bassett obviously gives you and the family a lot of pleasure. If I could have a dog, I would like a standard Argyll terrier. smile

Anne58 Tue 11-Sep-12 16:29:59

Nanadogsbody , safe from what??????

whenim64 Tue 11-Sep-12 16:46:58

Thanks soop smile. Is a standard Argyll the same as the West of Argyll terrier? Those grey rough haired dogs? Just had a look on Google. If I had the space and money I would certainly have another little dog. I am nursing an overwhelming urge to take in a rescue dog after watching this programme. The next stage (which I recognise from years of following this pattern) is to tell myself I'll just go and have a look at which puppies and dogs they have in the dogs' home. Just for a little look! Stop me...someone, please! grin