Gransnet forums

Pets

Another cat run over.

(54 Posts)
shysal Wed 03-Apr-13 17:23:52

I returned this afternoon from childminding duties at DD's to find a phone message from a lady who has found Sugababe dead on the roadside. She wasn't socialized as a kitten, scared of humans but loving my Saffron (not mutual!). In recent months she has become much more loving towards me and spent much of her time at home, with mornings spend in the fields which unfortunately have a track leading to the main road where she was found.
Another of my cats met the same fate last year. I live on a quiet cul-de-sac and thought they would be safe. Two cats left now! Bugsie is a lazy stay-at-home lump, but Saffron is a wanderer, often missing for days at a time, so I had stopped worrying about her absences, but now now!
It is nice to get this off my chest, I can now face de-registering Sugababe's micro-chip and washing her bedding. sad

Marelli Wed 03-Apr-13 17:30:29

shysal, I'm so sorry to hear about Sugababe. sad We can only do our best with our cats, can't we? They're answerable only to themselves and loved so much by us. She must have been a happy wee thing as time has gone on, doing what pleased her. flowers

Galen Wed 03-Apr-13 17:33:55

sad

numberplease Wed 03-Apr-13 17:38:25

Shysal, I was really sorry to read this, having gone through the very same thing last September when we lost our beloved Pepper the same way. Just tell yourself that you made her very happy, as she did you. Time heals, but you won`t forget her.

Nelliemoser Wed 03-Apr-13 17:48:52

shysal (((hugs))) It's their nine lives problem They just take such risks. I had one cross the road in front of my car a few days ago. I still don't know how it got away with it.

Lilygran Wed 03-Apr-13 18:05:39

So sorry, shysal.

absent Wed 03-Apr-13 18:17:33

How sad but I am afraid that they will wander off if they get half a chance. Commiserations shysal from one cat lover to another.

shysal Wed 03-Apr-13 23:30:46

Thank you everyone, for the kind comments. I keep thinking I can see a light shape coming down the garden steps. I hadn't realized how often I used to look out for her coming in to sleep. Saffron has hardly left my side, she seems to want to comfort me. I am usually a very emotional person, but I haven't shed a tear yet. I expect it will hit me when I get into bed, as Sugababe would often drape herself over my legs.

hummingbird Wed 03-Apr-13 23:40:26

That's horrible for you, Shysal, so sorry, flowers

Tegan Wed 03-Apr-13 23:47:58

It's why I stopped having cats, shysal. But one of the last cats I had was a Burmese that I kept as a house cat. He spent 7 years wanting to go out into the outside world [he had a special cat pen with climbing branches etc but it wasn't the same]. He died at such a young age still wanting the freedom that I didn't dare give him [I'd already lost one Burmese on the road]. I still regret not giving him that freedom, even with the danger it involved. I do understand how you're feeling and I'm so sorry.

Enviousamerican Thu 04-Apr-13 00:14:10

I m sorry too shysal,I'm a lifelong cat lover and owner.Never without one but I feel the two I have now will be the last.Too much heartache over the years that never get easier.

Thistledoo Thu 04-Apr-13 09:30:34

Sorry for your loss Shysal, you must be feeling so sad just now. Cats really get into you hearts and losing one like this must be dreadful. I lost my 14 year old cat 2 months ago and am sharing your sadness today. flowers

glassortwo Thu 04-Apr-13 09:39:30

shy I am sorry, but remember you gave Sugarbabe a good life flowers

dorsetpennt Thu 04-Apr-13 09:40:53

So sorry how sad for you. Years ago I had a male and female pair Joey and Phoebe both lost due to sad circumstances. Joey was run over and died on the way to the vet - we had a house fire 6 years ago and Phoebe fled in terror and despite an extensive search we never found her. I still have Milly who is a spoilt rotten healthy 12 year old cat - she is extremely shy and never even leaves the confines of the garden. I do think female cats are more home bodies. I think even a neutered male has a trace of the wandering lust in him.
We give our love to these pets and then we lose them and our grief is genuine - I haven't been able to get any more dogs after my last black lab died 7 years ago as I just can't go through the trauma again.
Please accept flowers from another cat lover.

shysal Thu 04-Apr-13 09:55:32

dorset, I have always found that my girl cats wander(ed) further from home than the boys. I think the neutered males stay(ed) close to protect their territory.
I couldn't resist looking on the rescue sites last night, to see if there was an older home-loving cat. There was an 11 year old ginger and white girl called Andy who would fit the bill, but I shan't rush into anything. As I get older I worry about not being around in the future for my pets, so wouldn't start again with a kitten.

Gorki Thu 04-Apr-13 10:00:34

I echo the sentiments of all the cat lovers here. I still feel very sad about the loss of our black cat, Hudson, several years ago ,made worse because I blame myself. We always have rescue cats and usually take black ones as they seem to be the ones no-one chooses. I inadvertently shut him in the garage overnight and when my son opened the automatic door in the morning Hudson, frightened by the noise, fled out into the path of an oncoming car. It was dark and I think he could not be seen. His twin Poppy survived for several more years. We now have Smoochie,(black again ) but we try to keep him in at night.

Sugarbabe obviously had a very happy life shysa but I can appreciate how you feel especially at night.My thoughts are with you.

Gorki Thu 04-Apr-13 10:05:04

shysal we got a rescue cat straight away after losing ours and felt this helped. An older cat is a good idea isn't it especially a more timid one that would not fit in with a family with children?

HUNTERF Thu 04-Apr-13 12:24:55

I was driving to the shops this morning and a cat ran out in front of me.
I did brake hard and avoided it as there was nothing behind me but human life does sometimes have to take priority.
I hit a pigeon on the motorway a few days ago.
I did not stop to see what had happened to it.

Frank

j08 Thu 04-Apr-13 12:32:53

It got squashed Frank.

j08 Thu 04-Apr-13 12:33:36

#nevermindplentymore

Ana Thu 04-Apr-13 12:33:58

grin

shysal Thu 04-Apr-13 12:43:21

Would you have stopped if you had hit the cat, Frank?
Not quite ready for your humour yet, j08. sad

j08 Thu 04-Apr-13 12:47:49

Good point that human life has to take priority. I'm sure Frank would have stopped to see if anything could be done for the cat. (the one he did n' t actually hit) #allspeculation

specki4eyes Thu 04-Apr-13 12:56:22

Shysal I'm so sorry to hear about Sugababe and do feel for you - go and get that rescue cat and give it your love - what more can we do with cats? They have to be free to enjoy their instincts - its selfish (but understandable) to make them prisoners. Speaking as someone who at midnight on Wednesday was perched on top of a 60ft ladder trying to coax my young cat to come down from the top of a tree... and I don't have a head for heights, but forgot all that in my desperation to save her! The next day after recounting my tale to several people, they all said, "you should have left her, she would have come down" To them I silently said .....!* and the second word being 'off'. flowers for you shysalxx

shysal Thu 04-Apr-13 13:06:50

Changing the subject specki, do you feel able to add an update to your 'would you be upset if' thread? I have been wondering how you have been. I apologise if you have mentioned it elsewhere.
I know jingle's comments were about the pigeon, but they brought on the tears that I had been unable to shed. I shall probably feel better for it.
#feelingabitfragile