Gransnet forums

Pets

dog bit grandson

(163 Posts)
seasider Sat 25-Jan-14 14:13:43

Hi Don't know what to do . My two year old Shih Tzu ( he is neutered) has just bit my grandson. He is a bit rough with him and I have repeatedly told him not to put his face near him. My son was with them and the dog gave a warning growl and then lunged at DGS and bit his face. They have gone to hospital now . I know his mum (DS and her are separated) will ban him from coming here and DS won't bring him. Younger DS is distraught because it is his dog and he thinks we might have to get rid of him sad

petallus Sat 25-Jan-14 14:42:20

What a difficult situation.

Hopefully the young adults will sort it out between them in some way.

You didn't say how old your GS is. I hope the injury is a superficial one.

petallus Sat 25-Jan-14 14:42:39

I can understand how upset everyone is.

whenim64 Sat 25-Jan-14 15:32:55

Oh, seasider that's awful. I'm so sorry. This happened with a rescue dog we had - a gorgeous clumber spaniel. She had been show bred and then neglected in the kennels when another litter came along that was clearly Crufts winning material. We took home this beautiful 18 months old dog who had met our children and appeared to be fine. Within a month, she bit a visiting child in the presence of two adults (I was out at the time). Sadly, she was put down an hour later - it wasn't a decision we agonised over, as we had discussed such eventualities before. Nevertheless, it was heartbreaking, but not as heartbreaking as it could have been for an injured child. This poor dog could have been returned to the breeder and gone on to bite another child. You'll now have to think about your dog's future if you do part with him, as new owners would need to know he has bitten a child on the face. I really feel for you and your family, having to make a dreadful decision.

Soutra Sat 25-Jan-14 15:46:18

This is a dreadful situation and one reason why my lovely Grace goes to kennels when the little boys are here - I don't think she would bite, but given her size, she would be close to face/head height. Personally I would give your dog a second chance but make sure he is never near small children. A dog can so be easily spooked and has little recourse when provoked except a grown and a nip. I also think a child needs to know to keep away when told to, but at 2 is not likely to take a lot of notice! Your dog is not a pit bull or a German Shepherd and need pose no risk but the opportunity should never arise again. Unless he shows signs of aggression when unprovoked, give him the benefit of the doubt if you want to but promise that he will never be in the same room or garden as DGS.

posie Sat 25-Jan-14 16:03:06

How dreadful for you all. I think a lot depends on whether it was a severe or superficial bite? I'm hoping it's the latter.

My 3yr DGD was bitten a few months back. Not on my watch I hasten to add. I think she'd been a bit too playful with it & the dog bit her face. Luckily it only amounted to puncture wounds as I think the dog had responded without thinking then realised what was happening & released her straight away. Still no excuse I know.
She has healed & it's not noticeable now.

If it's not too serious could you maybe put a muzzle on dog when GS visits?

If it's a vicious bite then obviously it needs more thought & indeed this might mean the unthinkable.

Mishap Sat 25-Jan-14 16:07:39

You cannot let this dog near your GC or any other children. I know I would not bring a child into the house after this incident.

You may have to choose between having a dog and having GC to visit. It is just too important to be sentimental about.

Riverwalk Sat 25-Jan-14 16:08:02

Poor grandson - I do hope it's not too serious. And poor you seasider you must feel dreadful. sad

Posie from the point of view of what to do with the dog I don't think it matters whether it's a superficial bite or more serious - the dog went for the child.

MrsSB Sat 25-Jan-14 16:15:41

Oh no, how awful for everyone. The only solution I can come up with is pretty much whaat others have said. Our dog always goes to boarders when the grandchildren come as he's very nervous around them and once growled at one of them. That was warning enough for me; they are kept apart now so there is no danger to either children or dog.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jan-14 16:47:37

Bye bye nasty snappy little doggie.

margaretm74 Sat 25-Jan-14 16:57:09

My nephew was bitten on the cheek by their own dog once - nephew was in the bath at the time, the dog walked in, he went to pat her and she suddenly went for him. They had her put down straight away as B and SiL had young GC. Couldn't trust her again.

Tegan Sat 25-Jan-14 17:43:02

Sad to hear this as Shih Tzu's are usually very sweet natured dogs..perhaps he was provoked one time too many? I have a gate across the kitchen door so the children can see the dog but not bother her [or she them]. Looking at all the old photos I have,most of them have dogs and cats with the children [one of my dogs went blind at an early age and could easily have turned snappy because of it]. Not even just our family pets but holiday photos with other peoples dogs [my daughter cuddling a pointer we met whilst on a camping holiday in France, and a Bull Terrier at a hotel we stayed at; even, shock horror, my daughter sitting on a bench next to the biggest Mastiff you've ever seen]. Looking back we were lucky that they never got bitten by the dogs or scratched by the cats, although they were so used to animals from an early age they never provoked them. Thinking about it, though, my ex was always scared of dogs, from being bitten when he was little, and I think my niece has a scar on her face from a bite as well. Difficult, because I think it's lovely for children to grow up with animals,as they add so much to their lives.

Iam64 Sat 25-Jan-14 17:55:42

Oh Seasider, I'm so sorry to read this. You must be so upset,and like everyone else, I do hope your grandson is ok and that the fall out within the extended family is manageable. flowers

positivepam Sat 25-Jan-14 18:11:29

I am so sorry about this and it is unusual for Shih Tzu dogs to do this unless they have really been teased and are usually very good natured. I have two so I know, but my DD has one and my DGS really winds the dog up some times and she does give a warning growl as if to ask us to remove him. I know you didn't say how old the child is but could this have happened and personally if it was me, with this breed I would not have it put down. Children have to be protected I know but they also need to be taught from a young age how to treat animals and to be kind to them, which is what we are doing with our DGS, he has started to go and kiss mine, he has never had chance to wind my two up because we never let him get the chance. Of course my DD has to do other things so cant always watch every minute.

Iam64 Sat 25-Jan-14 18:40:33

jingle - I can't imagine a much worse scenario than one of my dogs biting any child. My dogs are part of the family. It's clear from Seasider's post that her dog has previously shown no signs of this kind of behaviour. I sympathise with the position she is now in and I found your comment both insensitive and hurtful.

Tegan Sat 25-Jan-14 18:50:15

In a case like this my first reaction would be to have the dog put down, but I can't help but feel there's more to what's happened here and hope that, if that does happen, it's been thought through very carefully [which I'm sure it will be]. I suppose the main concern is that, if a dog does this once it's more likely to do it again even if it did bite because of being provoked. Feel desperately sorry for eveyone concerned.

LizG Sat 25-Jan-14 19:05:11

Poor you seasider your little dog must have been greatly provoked because Shih Tzu have lovely natures. I agree you should give your dog a second chance either closing him in the bedroom which must remain out of bounds or in kennels if the visit is longer.

As soon as possible I would organise training sessions on a one to one basis for you and the dog. You would be seen to be doing something positive and they do work. I do hope your grandson is not too sore. This might just teach him a lesson that he should do what he is told.

Fingers crossed that this will be sorted out quickly and that the mum is more sympathetic than you expect.

Jings I agree your comment was insensitive in the extreme. Sometimes your sense of humour really lets you down.

Charleygirl Sat 25-Jan-14 19:12:59

Jingle that comment was not funny, was insenstive and totally uncalled for.

I agree with LizG I think that the dog was provoked. I do hope that the little fellow is okay and will not be afraid of dogs.

Grannyknot Sat 25-Jan-14 19:14:51

seasider what a dilemma. You've had lots of advice, but the decision is yours and or your children's to make. I hope it wasn't a bad injury, how frightening for the child.

Iam64 Sat 25-Jan-14 19:17:10

My 13 month old grandson once got hold of each of our border collie x, rescue dogs ears. He gently pulled them apart, as my daughter and I both instantly called, let go X, as we walked from opposite ends of the room towards the dog and child. The little boy instantly let go, and the dog put her head back on her feet and lay quietly. It happened in a second. That little boy is now 20 and just brilliant with dogs. The border collie lived to a contented old age, and was always wonderful with children. I accept, we were very lucky. The dog came to our family when we had a 2 and 3 year old so we knew she was good with children. But, if she'd snapped, no=one could have blamed her. The children learned very quickly not to ever get in a dogs face, and we remained highly vigilant with our own dogs, and foster dogs.

margaretm74 Sat 25-Jan-14 19:28:19

DD1 has just had to have her older dog put down (old age and illness); she was a staffie cross with some pit bull (they don't live in this country). She was a wonderful dog and excellent with people she knew and very protective of DGS, as with all the family. BUT DD1 never let her alone with DGS just in case. You have to decide what to do, but don't let them be in the same room, you will have to shut her away when he visits. Perhaps she has a sore somewhere that the little one caught? Our little dog used to growl to warn DC off, but never bit them.

granjura Sat 25-Jan-14 19:29:47

I really and truly feel for you. How old is your grandson? What a shame his dad was not keeping a good eye ont he situation and didn't stop this from escalating. How bad was the bite- just a quick warning nip- or a proper and serious bite? Are they back from hospital?

The dog needs proper assessment from a good trainer- and serious training from now on- and of course must never be left with children unless YOU are there- put a child gate on the lounge door so if you have to be in another room the dog comes with you.

But whatever steps you take- your DS and his ex will possibly use this as an excuse to stop visits- and if this happens you will have to make that really HUGE decision- whether to re-home the dog where no children are present and with an experienced and trained dog-owner, or have the dog euthanazed (and still face DS's ex refusing to have the children visit....).
It's a dreadful situation. Tell us how you get on and send news of your grand-son- is he OK???

I am sorry jingle, but as a dog lover who has been in the same situation in the past- I truly feel your comment was just dreadful.

dogsdinner Sat 25-Jan-14 19:31:26

I really feel for you, an awful situation to have happened for all parties involved. We have six dogs and two young children living together, luckily all get on but whenever any of their friends come into the house all the dogs are locked up in my part of the house. When the elder GC was two she was bitten on the face by one of our rescues. Since this was the second time although it broke our hearts she had to be put down.

Since you only have the one dog what about getting a large dog crate and keeping the dog in that when visitors come. Put her bedding, toys etc in to make it comfortable. She is still with you as part of the family but totally protected from little prods and fingers. Just a thought, we have done this often in the past.

I hope as a family you resolve this and you are able to keep your lovely little pet.

absent Sat 25-Jan-14 19:32:50

If I were in that situation, I would ensure a combination of a gated area where the dog can relax without the interference of a small child to provoke him and a muzzle when in the presence of the small child. The dog was not being vicious but responding in a natural doggish way to the child being rough with him. I would also continue to teach the child not to be rough with the dog as well as not to put his face near him.

positivepam Sat 25-Jan-14 19:37:17

I missed jingles post and also agree it was very insensitive and a nasty thing to say to someone who is obviously having a hard time.
To you seasider I send my best wishes and hope for a good outcome for you. flowers