Gransnet forums

Pets

Maurice and the gimp mask

(44 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 01-Jul-14 10:08:52

Morning all.

Maurice has had quite a few visits to the vets lately, poor chap.

If you remember the poem "Whatevers the matter with Maurice?", well, that's where it started. In addition to the odd behaviour mentioned there, I noticed that he was losing weight, and though he might have hyperthyroidism, so booked an appointment at the vets.

Now, providing you grab him quickly and stuff him in the basket with the minimum of fuss (making sure all 4 legs and 1 tail are in before closing the lid) he actually travels quite well, settles down quietly and seems to enjoy the ride, particularly if the roof is down. I think feeling the wind in his whiskers makes him think he's off on an adventure.

To diagnose thyroid problems means a blood test. To say that Maurice wasn't keen on this is akin to saying that Nigel Farage is in favour of an open door policy with regard to immigration.

Maurice, friendly and affectionate though he is, does not like being held. The vet tried to hold him, I tried to hold him. He somehow manages to seem as if he has twice the usual number of limbs and to be able to move them in several directions at once. Cue entry of Evadne with her pink towel. Cue Maurice making it very plain what he thought of both Evadne and her towel.

Now although there was a lot of struggling and wriggling, there were no attempts made to either scratch or bite, so whatever made the vet think a muzzle was called for I don't know. Muzzles for cats are made of black fabric and go over the head, not just the jaws. The gimp mask muzzle was put on, the blood sample was taken. By the time it was done, Maurice was hyperventilating and his heart rate was through the roof. He was admitted and put on oxygen for an hour.sad

The test showed that it was the thyroid problem I suspected, so he was duly prescribed pills. (At vast expense, i.e £1.39 per tablet, when providing you have a prescription, they can be bought on line for 47p each shock )

After 4 weeks he had to have another blood test, but this time I spoke to the senior vet and said no way was he having the damn muzzle again, so between three of us we managed to get it done. Thyroid levels still too high so change the tablet dose.

On Friday I noticed a lump on Maurices' neck, so back we went yesterday. It was his lymph gland, most usual cause for it to be enlarged is infection through bad teeth or cancer. Maurice didn't want Adrian to look at his teeth, so it was decided to admit him, give him a whiff of gas and then have a look. Bearing in mind how much Maurice isn't keen on the basket, it is quite funny to see how once he was released, he mustered his dignity, stalked into the basket and sat down with his back to everyone.

In the end his teeth were fine, so a biopsy was taken from the lump. He came home yesterday with a row of stitches and enough medication to set up a small shop. He can't have one of those plastic lampshade things, as it would sit on the wound. They offered to provide a body suit, but at well over £20 I demurred. You would think they could lend you one, surely it can be laundered and re-used?

Anyway, last night I made him a natty little number from the sleeve of an old sweatshirt, and very distinguished he looks, a casual glance would lead one to think he was wearing a cravat.

Back tomorrow to check the wound, then stitches out next Wednesday.

I will be paying the bill in chunks!

Elegran Tue 01-Jul-14 10:37:23

Poor Maurice! Poor Phoenix, poor vet, poor Evadne! Here's hoping that he is back to his old self soon.

Phoenix Why aren't you publishing all these stories?

Soutra Tue 01-Jul-14 11:16:37

Hear hear this would make a brilliant blog! Couldn't help laughing despite dympathy for your poor moggy!

Galen Tue 01-Jul-14 11:25:32

Cats can give such a superior look of affronted dignity if upset. They sulk magnificently.

shysal Tue 01-Jul-14 11:34:40

I hadn't heard of the use of body suits, had a look on Google, much better than a lampshade!
I hope Maurice will be on the mend soon, and that the biopsy shows nothing untoward.
How is he at taking tablets? I got used to doing it for a neighbour's cat, by holding the scruff of the neck, tipping the head back and administering through the side of the mouth, holding the head up until swallowed. Haven't had to try the technique on my Bengal - think it would be a different matter! Bugsie is so laid back there is never a problem.

lucid Tue 01-Jul-14 11:40:24

Poor Maurice..what an ordeal. We have used the body suit for our x bengal Ferdie, she wouldn't leave her stitches alone after being spayed. They are very good but you have to be careful to get the size right, the 1st one we bought was too small. She looked very cute in her red 'catsuit'.

lucid Tue 01-Jul-14 11:44:54

I've managed to put a photo up on my profile if you want to see what the 'catsuit' looks like.smile

Anne58 Tue 01-Jul-14 12:59:35

Thanks all!

lucid she looks as if she's about to go surfing!

I'm glad I didn't decide to get one, now that I've had a really good look the majority of the stitches are under his jaw, on his chin if you know what I mean, and I think he would need something more like a balaclava helmet to cover those. The ones further down on his neck are covered nicely by his cravat, but if he does start scratching at the chin ones, heaven knows how we are going to manage.

Luckily Maurice in brilliant about taking tablets, I buy a pack of that flabby sliced cheese and he has one small piece with nothing, then one bit with pills in, then another one with nothing.

At the moment it's 1 and a half antibiotics twice a day (fortunately they are scored so easy to get the right amount), a measured amount of some liquid meds once a day, then 2 x 10mg of the thyroid tablets once a day.

Thank heavens I've finished my course of antibiotics, otherwise we could be in a right muddle!

shysal thanks for the good wishes, but it is a pretty high chance that the biopsy will show cancer, the two most common causes for enlarged lymph glands are infection (sometimes caused by bad teeth) and cancer. His teeth were found to be fine, so we now have to wait.

He's in fine fettle today, but keeps asking to go out. he is supposed to be kept in until a week tomorrow when the stitches come out, but we will have to see.

janerowena Tue 01-Jul-14 13:04:56

I'm so disappointed, I thought you would be making him a body suit out of leather, or PVC at the very least.

How old is the poor chap?

Galen Tue 01-Jul-14 13:13:14

I gather he has an over active thyroid. In view of the neck gland if it is Ca, then I would suspect the thyroid as the primary. At least I would in a human.

Anne58 Tue 01-Jul-14 13:36:02

Maurice is 12, just the right age for hyperthyroidism in cats. The vet hasn't ruled out surgery to remove the thyroids (cats have 2) but although this can be an almost overnight cure, it doesn't work for all cats. One friend had surgery on her elderly cat, within a week she was gaining weight and doing really well. Another had it for her mog, didn't work but lived for another 4 years on daily meds.

The blood tests showed normal liver and kidney function, which was good, just the thyroid levels too high.

janerowena Tue 01-Jul-14 13:41:29

One of my mother's cats had it, years ago. He didn't have an operation, he just stayed on medication and lasted another three years as far as I recall, as he was 15 when he died. He never got very plump, but his coat stopped staring and became shiny again.

ninathenana Tue 01-Jul-14 15:02:03

phoenix I love reading your cat stories. I hope whatever you and the vet decided is best for Maurice gives him a good few years yet.

lucid Ferdie looks just like our Skye. Although Skye is just a rescue moggy

BTW the 'lampshade' is technically known as an Elizabethan collar grin

Anne58 Tue 01-Jul-14 15:24:01

Thank you nina smile I sometimes wonder if people might get a bit fed up with them and find them "twee" or too anthropomorphic. Still, if they do, then they don't have to read them do they?

Our vets refer to them as a "buster collar". I remember my mothers rather portly black lab having one years ago, if you looked at her from behind when she was sitting down, there was a distinct hint of the art deco lamp about her...........

Anne58 Tue 01-Jul-14 17:16:44

D'you know, Maurice is a damn good chap! He's just taken his one and a half antibiotic tablets straight from my fingers, no cheese to hide them or anything!

They are labelled as "palatable" but I can think of a fair few cats of my acquaintance who might not be so obliging!

Still using the "disguise" method for the thyroid ones though, as according to all that I've read they are very bitter. No doubt his nibbs is completely aware of the subterfuge, but feels it might be best to humour me!

I love that boy!

rosesarered Tue 01-Jul-14 17:24:35

Not always easy owning a cat is it?

rosesarered Tue 01-Jul-14 17:25:16

nor cheap!

Anne58 Tue 01-Jul-14 17:49:08

True, roses but I wouldn't like to be without them.

When married to ex dh, we always had both cats and dogs (and ducks, chickens, bantams, sheep, ancient pony & donkey, a parrot, stick insects, gerbils............) and although I would love to have a dog again, with any luck I will be employed again soon, so the cats are the only pets that it seems fair to keep at the moment, not counting Mr P's tropicals of course!

merlotgran Tue 01-Jul-14 18:19:13

Poor Maurice. Hope he continues to be a model patient.

Dragonfly1 Tue 01-Jul-14 19:16:30

Poor Maurice - hope the biopsy results are clear. Anyway, he's made it onto Twitter, tell him!

Anne58 Tue 01-Jul-14 19:20:56

What!? he was once on Youtube, thanks to a friends son uploading a short film of him "helping" at supper time, but Twitter, that might be more than he could cope with!

Just hope he doesn't go fungal! [sic]

Dragonfly1 Tue 01-Jul-14 19:51:01

Gransnet have posted the link to the thread on their Twitter feed. X

Anne58 Tue 01-Jul-14 20:01:07

Oh heck!

Dragonfly it's the not the best example of my ramblings, feline or other wise, but I do feel honoured!

Dragonfly1 Tue 01-Jul-14 20:14:19

I think it's lovely that Maurice is having his fifteen minutes' worth! I did chuckle when it came up on Twitter - along with, amongst others, the designer vagina thread....! X

Charleygirl Tue 01-Jul-14 21:13:12

Poor Maurice, he is lucky Phoenix that you are around at present to ferry him to the vet and to look after him at home. I hope that Digby is not feeling neglected.