Gransnet forums

Pets

A quick question for all cat owners!

(28 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 19-Aug-14 11:29:00

Good morning all,

Please could you do me a favour and check what colour your cats paws are? I mean the pads underneath, not the furry bits.

Thank you.

PS Particularly if you have a tabby. smile

MiceElf Tue 19-Aug-14 11:50:46

Puss RIP, a tabby with a white bib and paws, had pink pads with a couple of black sploges.

Anne58 Tue 19-Aug-14 11:53:00

Yes, that sounds normal.

Charleygirl Tue 19-Aug-14 12:09:15

Pink pads for my baby girl.

ninathenana Tue 19-Aug-14 12:30:58

Tabby with white bib and socks has mostly black pads with two pink toes on one foot and one on another.
Interesting, I've never looked before smile

Liz46 Tue 19-Aug-14 12:36:35

Tabby with no white bits has brown pads.

Anne58 Tue 19-Aug-14 12:43:36

Aha! That's what I was looking for Liz46 !

I was worried that Sprout might be a mutant, all my cats I have ever had have had either black, pink or a black/pink mixture pads, (including Digby, tabby with all black pads).

Sprouts pads look for all the world as if they have been made out of brown leatherette! grin

shysal Tue 19-Aug-14 12:45:41

Black and white Bugsie - pink with a few black patches, brown spotted Bengal Saffron - completely black.
Why do you ask Phoenix, do you think you have a freak?

shysal Tue 19-Aug-14 12:49:25

Sorry, crossed posts, so I have your answer!
How are the boys getting on now that Sprout has been with you for a bit longer?

Anne58 Tue 19-Aug-14 13:01:34

They are getting on very well shysal I'm glad to report. Sprout achieved one of his ambitions yesterday, namely to snuggle up to Digby.

However this only happened because Digby was in such a deep sleep on my bed that he didn't notice Sprout sneaking up on him like some sort of stripey stealth missile! If it had been tried when Digby was on his "special" towel on the work top I think Digby might have noticed.

There are no longer any rumblings or hisses, they greet each other with a quick head rub and sometimes the odd lick. I don't know if they will ever be such great chums as Maurice and Digby, but things are moving in the right direction.

shysal Tue 19-Aug-14 13:26:32

So pleased to hear it! My two tolerate each other at best. Saffy gets the odd slap with no claws when she persists in sniffing Bugsie's bum! I was a bit worried when she did the same to a badger as it ate peanuts in my garden the other night, as they have very sharp claws, but it just ignored her. There is often an assortment of wild and pet animals on the patio, quite comfortable in each other's company.

Anne58 Tue 19-Aug-14 13:55:17

You should try to get some photos!

sherish Tue 19-Aug-14 14:47:47

My cat Buddy is light ginger and mostly white. He has pink pads.

MrsJamJam Tue 19-Aug-14 16:45:59

Bamboo, our dark burmese, has pads like dark brown leather. He is very grumpy with me for looking!

Anne58 Tue 19-Aug-14 17:05:56

It's easy to see Digby's as he often sleeps flat on his back with all four legs in the air grin and Sprout is not averse to being rolled onto his back for his tummy to be rubbed.

How does Bamboo's grumpyness show itself, MrsJamJam?

I've yet to tell when Sprout is in a grump, as he is a tail swisher (as I have mentioned before) and the happier he is the more he swishes confused

glammanana Tue 19-Aug-14 17:15:43

phoenix you would have laughed your socks off if you had been watching my neighbours new cat,he is 9ths old and has come from the rescue centre as my neighbour lost his other cat after 19yrs, well this young man has taken a strong dislike to my Poppy (she who loves cats & all things smaller than herself) we where walking past the drive and Pops stopped to look for the cat and it came charging down the drive in a crab like stance to attack poor Poppy I had to lift her up to stop the cat attacking.shock Looks like Pops won't have found a nice new friend after all.grin

Anne58 Tue 19-Aug-14 17:22:02

Oh poor Poppy! She would have loved my dear Maurice, he was very fond of dogs, (he and the farm dog became great friends when Maurice was just a kitten) and never seemed afraid of them at all.

Although he did give my neighbour a near heart attack as he followed her in as she was taking her shopping indoors............... she has 3 rescue greyhounds!

Deedaa Tue 19-Aug-14 22:49:01

Sweet the black cat has purply black pads, Batman the tuxedo has white feet with jet black pads, Toyah the ginger has white feet and pink pads and Greebo the grey and white has white feet and grey and pink pads. My daughter's tabby has big black feet and black pads; the little russian blue she used to have had purple ones.

Deedaa Tue 19-Aug-14 22:52:40

I'm so glad Digby has a "special" towel on the worktop phoenix I thought we were the only people who were that firmly under the paw grin

Nanabelle Tue 19-Aug-14 22:54:40

Year ago one of my children asked why the cat had baked beans underneath her paws!!! We had ginger cats then, with pink pads.

Anne58 Tue 19-Aug-14 23:43:54

grin

Purely circumstantial, Deedaa , hard to imagine now but Digby was a bit timid when we first got him, and used to "hide" behind the kettle. At the time, the general rule was definitely no cats on the worktop, but an exception was made for him "just until he gets a bit more confident" hmm

Well, of course the precedent was set, and as every cat owner knows, they have to "sit" on something, the newspaper when you are trying to read it, a pile of washing waiting to go into the machine etc, so it just seemed easier to put a hand towel on the worktop in a position where he was at least partly out of the way.

The main problem arises when Mr P forgets and puts a tea towel down instead of hanging it from the oven door. It's amazing how often I have to get another clean one out because the current one has been sat on........confused

Deedaa Wed 20-Aug-14 23:00:23

I remember "No cats on the worktop" ! We have one cat who eats everything in sight and has to be shut out of the kitchen while I feed the others. We also have one who is now on a special diet - I tried shutting her in the porch to eat but she got worried and wouldn't eat so now she has her's up on the worktop while I fend the others off. I wish they would stop telling us that pets lower your blood pressure!

Thistledoo Tue 26-Aug-14 18:27:56

Have a British shorthaired male puss, he is now 1 year old and is blue spotty. The colour of his pads are a chocolate brown. He is turning out to be a champion mouser and is refusing to come in at night, thus spending the last few nights out all night. I am really worried about this, are any other cat owners going through this with their motives just now? He is definitely the naughtiest cat I have ever owned. grin

MiniMouse Tue 26-Aug-14 18:51:18

Thistledoo You could try training him to come in when you ring a bell. I've trained all my cats that way.

Every time you feed him ring the bell, he will soon learn the connection between food and bell!! When you ring the bell at night give him either his last feed or a few 'treat' biscuits. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but with a cat it wouldn't would it?! My cats responded 99% of the time and it was a useful tool to get them to come in, when necessary, at other times.

Good luck grin

numberplease Tue 26-Aug-14 20:41:06

Because Mia is all white, when she goes out in hot sun we have to put sun cream on her ears, which she hates. What puzzles me is, the cream is kept in the cutlery drawer. How does she differentiate between me going in the drawer for an item of cutlery, which she ignores, but if I go for the cream, even before I get hold of it, she`s off like a bullet out of a gun!? Then we have to play hide and seek to find her and apply the cream. Roll on dull weather!