Gransnet forums

Pets

cat litter

(12 Posts)
MrsJamJam Sun 30-Nov-14 18:03:37

Due to the visit of my son's Jack Russell our ancient Burmese cat is going to have to be kept Iin our sitting room for the duration. This will not bother the cat who has reached such a venerable age that he sleeps all the time except when eating, however it does mean that his litter tray will be in the sitting room instead of in the utility room.

The current routine is to have the tray full of litter, scoop out solids and dispose of them, and empty the whole tray every few days. That will be too whiffy for the sitting room, so I know it will need complete cleaning every day, but that means using a big bag of cat litter every couple of days. Can anyone suggest a routine that they use that will keep the house sweet without costing me a fortune in cat litter?

ninathenana Sun 30-Nov-14 18:19:36

Bob Martins litter freshener in a tub that you sprinkle on top of the litter helps but is not 100%.
If your not actually using the sitting room for the duration can you leave a window open just enough for fresh air.

Apart from regular changing I think it's a grin and bare it situation

Charleygirl Sun 30-Nov-14 18:26:26

I use a mixture of cat litter- the type that keeps the poo etc fragrant and then I sprinkle a copious amount of the litter that leaves solids. I remove the solids x2 a day and I do not notice a whiff when I enter the bedroom that this tray is in. It does have a hood which may help. Tara is inclined to spray the litter everywhere when she is trying to hide her mess, hence the hood to contain the litter in the tray.

tiggypiro Sun 30-Nov-14 20:04:14

I have been using the wood pellet type recently and find that as long as I remove the poos as soon as possible there is no smell. It also seems to remain dry much longer.

Deedaa Sun 30-Nov-14 21:17:02

I used to use the wood pellet type which I found had a nice fresh smell of pine. The problem was that when it got wet the pellets would disintegrate into sawdust which the cats would walk all over the carpet.

ninathenana Sun 30-Nov-14 22:44:10

I second that Deedaa

Nanabelle Mon 01-Dec-14 00:18:42

My old cats had to use litter trays instead of going outside and I used the clumping sort. I think as long as you take out the clumps of wet or soiled stuff a.s.a.p., you should not get residual smells. Maybe you have an oil burner and could use some lemon grass oils to burn?
If the dog is not with you too long, could the cat not stay in the utility room with some comfy bedding? (although that seems a bit mean of me!)
My present cat is stretched out happily on the sofa at the moment. On second thoughts, I think you are right about location - cats do like the best seats in the sitting room, don't they!

MrsJamJam Mon 01-Dec-14 09:03:10

Dog might be with us for a couple of monthhs, hence the complications. Cat needs to be comfortable but I am not prepared to give up my sitting room! The things we do for our children grin

catbower Mon 01-Dec-14 13:00:48

I agree about the wood pellet type: nice smell but gets everywhere. I use Biocatolet, which is paper pellets, and find it good at disguising the smell and it doesn't get round the house so much. There are other paper types but they are not half so good.

Tegan Mon 01-Dec-14 13:31:22

I've got an Ashleigh and Burwood fragrance lamp that gets rid of any bad odours and is supposed to purify the air as well. They're not cheap but they're very effective. I wouldn't change your cats litter in any way; they don't like change. Could you put it in something like, say a dog crate and cover it up; also perhaps use a dap diffuser in the room so the cat doesn't get stressed by the change in routine?

shysal Mon 01-Dec-14 13:53:04

ever clean litter
I use this clumping litter, usually the scented variety. It clumps really well so that the wee and poo can be scooped out using a fine scoop. The remaining litter only gets changed every few months, apart from the odd top up, as there is no odour left. It seems expensive, but works out cheaper that way. I do have a litter tray with a roof to avoid spills. Hope all goes well for you.

shysal Mon 01-Dec-14 16:40:10

fine scoop