Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat having panic attacks

(21 Posts)
Tegan Fri 14-Aug-15 21:19:55

I've switched to having whippets Elen which are probably a canine equivalent of oriental cats; thin and elegant and can't really be trusted to run around off a lead. The difference is that I don't have to worry about her trying to get out of the house and running off. I do look on her as a cat substitute. Tristan was chocolate;my first Burmese [who did get killed when she escaped] was called Nelly. She was lovely.

Elenkalubleton Fri 14-Aug-15 17:02:53

How strange Tegan that you called your Burmese Tristan,my little boy is called Tarquin,I think you maybe a mad cat lady? Like me! I actually bought a pram for him recently,off the internet its for small dogs really. He loves it and jumps in for a ride.My husband, at first wouldn't walk with me,but not many people know it's a cat they just think it's a baby.been into lots of shops
Not been questioned yet, but if I am I will point out that there is no sign say cats not allowed Ha Ha.! Husband will walk away�� I think.

Tegan Fri 14-Aug-15 15:14:28

...please keep doing updates about him so I can get my 'cat fix' smile.

Tegan Fri 14-Aug-15 15:13:27

They're only the same as the diffuser, it's just that the diffusers obviously only work when the cat is in that particular room. My guilt about Tristan is that he was always wanting to go out even though he had a large'ish cat pen to go out into[the Shorthair was allowed outside and he used to get angry with her]but there was no way that he would have been safe outside. My neighbour had two Burmese that lived to a ripe old age and she lived closer to the main road than I did.

Elenkalubleton Fri 14-Aug-15 14:48:07

Thanks again for all your info,have bought beaphar calming spot on,has anyone used it?I know what you mean Tegan,about not giving him enough freedom.But we do walk him,and we recently bought a 15 by 4 ft cage for the garden.As he was forever getting out,such a worry.yes he is hard work,as were both 68 and fit it's ok at the moment.I didn't know about those
Collars,I wouldn't like to use them regulary,as it might change his personality.

Tegan Fri 14-Aug-15 13:01:42

soon; the vet just said that they wouldn't sell me a collar unless they fitted it [probably another money making plan sad]. Mind you, at the time my dog was suffering such anxiety that it would have been covered by my insurance.

Tegan Fri 14-Aug-15 12:59:33

I have always wanted a Maine Coon. The trouble is I lost so many cats on the main road that I started to panic every time I had a cat outdoors [we switched to British Shorthairs so I could let them out and not have to worry so much. I also felt guilty that I my Burmese had had so little freedom [even though it was for their own good].

Jane10 Fri 14-Aug-15 12:48:31

Can't recommend Maine Coons highly enough. Just gentle loving creatures. Our current one has never raised a paw to the DGCs but must have been sorely tried. He just slowly leaves the room when they get too much for him. Here's a picture of him squeezed into a boot box. He looks so grumpy but absolutely isn't!

rosesarered Fri 14-Aug-15 11:31:02

Although it has to be said, that these sort of cats are very loving, they are hard work because they hate being by themselves and are a bit like having a toddler around.

rosesarered Fri 14-Aug-15 11:29:57

He also deliberately claws things to get constant attention.He is harder work even than my last cat, which was A Turkish Van Cat, and he drove us crazy at times as well.

rosesarered Fri 14-Aug-15 11:27:49

Not mese, Burmese!

rosesarered Fri 14-Aug-15 11:26:55

Yes, forgot to mention the wool eating.DD's Burmese ( before they got pet insurance too) secretly ate part of an old sheepskin rug, and had to have emergency surgery to have the ball ofthe stuff removed. he can't be left with any cushions in his bed or even near him, or anything like that.He also eats rubber bands.

soontobe Fri 14-Aug-15 10:54:38

Does the vet need to take a look at him, give him the once over?

Tegan Fri 14-Aug-15 09:29:16

My Burmese was a wool eater; once bought some new socks for the children and he got them out of the bag and ate a small piece from each one. Also did the same to two hand knitted Arran jumpers. Another Burmese ate plastic bags. We had to change the door handles as they could open doors. My last Burmese used to walk along the shelves deliberately knocking things off to get our attention. He once escaped onto the roof and wouldn't come back in through the skylight; my ex had to climb up a ladder to get him. Much as I loved them it was only when they'd gone that I realised what hard work they'd been [the main worry was them escaping through the front door onto the road]. You may be better using a Feliway collar with yours, but the vet has to fit it for you [at least that's what they said about my dog who has a firework phobia]. The diffusers need a few days to 'kick in'. In some ways I'd still love a Burmese; I'll never forget my first one as a kitten. She looked at me, proceeded to climb up me than, as I held her I saw her look round the room, taking everything in; such intelligence in her eyes. She used to sleep in my daughters arms at night.

Elenkalubleton Fri 14-Aug-15 08:42:25

Thanks,will try the Feliway.we are going away for the night this weekend, and he hates being left alone.He is very laid back normally nothing phases him.We take him walking,on a harness.So far been to the pub,shops other places loves the car.But when left for the night wrecks the house!knocks ornaments down, even drags his cushion out of his bed up the stairs!takesthe throws off the chairs.looks like we've been burgled when we get home.never had pedigree cat before,so different,temperamental,funny and very loving.we are besotted!

Nelliemoser Fri 14-Aug-15 07:41:54

Wasn't Soops Rory having something similar at one time. Once he was no longer feral?

Jane10 Fri 14-Aug-15 07:29:19

Aww poor puss. I don't have any helpful suggestions though. Our big lad is incredibly laid back. Temperament depends on breed I suppose:we had an Abyssinian who was desperately neurotic but also Maine Coons who literally are gentle giants!

Ana Thu 13-Aug-15 21:38:02

Feliway sprays and diffusers are supposed to help cats in stressful situations - have a google to find suppliers. I have known cat owners who swear by them.

Elenkalubleton Thu 13-Aug-15 21:35:20

Thankyou rosesarered,he gets hugged all day long!the tablet was to make him more comfortable.Just have to hope he forgets in time.

rosesarered Thu 13-Aug-15 19:26:28

Isn't that strange? my DD has a Burmese, beautiful but daft as a brush( which it's tail resembles ) and he tries to catch all insects in his mouth including bees and wasps, when in the garden.They are a neurotic breed, and are easily upset.next time you just know to give him a hug instead of a tablet.Welcome to the forum btw.smile

Elenkalubleton Thu 13-Aug-15 19:17:16

My cat got stung by a wasp last week he was in pain and upset and biting frantically at his paw tail and back.I gave him half a histamine tablet(recommended by the vet)on a previous occasion.after about two hours he settled down and went to sleep.His paw was swollen,but by the next day it had gone down, and back to normal.However he went out the next day and appeared to be stung again! We couldn't find anything on him,but gave him another half a histamine.on the third day it happened again? Then it dawned on us that he wasn't being stung!but just thought he was! He starts breathing very fast and obviously distressed.He is a Burmese,we don't let him out to wander,always watch him in garden.Has anyone else had this problem ?dont know what to do to help him.