Gransnet forums

Pets

dog and fireworks

(25 Posts)
sue1169 Mon 31-Oct-16 17:08:25

Our little dog is sooo terrified of fireworks that even sedatives dont work.days and days of it and its a nightmare!!!!

Sheena Mon 31-Oct-16 17:19:15

I can truly sympathise sue1169 as my little dog is so very frightened too. Just now with her tea I've popped in a tablet and a half of ordinary Piriton .. have you tried that for your little one? The best bet is usually the very strong tranquilisers from the vet, but I don't like giving them .

Same as you, where we are the wretched things will go on and on... not only tonight but then there's Nov 5th ,, etc and etc angry.They frighten the life out of me, so it must be dreadful for the animals who don't understand what's happening .

Good luck x

whitewave Mon 31-Oct-16 17:43:20

We Shut ourselves in with all curtains pulled and tv on - helps a bit, but he still shakes and shivers.

midgey Mon 31-Oct-16 17:44:56

I have tried the cd where you hear fireworks, my dog can cope with it at full blast and not be bothered but as soon a she hears anything in the distance. I am not happy giving her diazepam from the vet but anything is better than the shivering cowering wreck. Still another six days to go!

midgey Mon 31-Oct-16 17:47:23

I meant as soon as she hears the real thing!

DanniRae Tue 01-Nov-16 16:26:21

My little dog hates fireworks too. She doesn't shake and shiver but just wants to get out into the garden and BARK. If we don't let her out she just keeps running up and down, looking at us as if to say "There's danger, why aren't you taking any notice". In desperation we turn the tv up as loud as possible and just lately we've tried having the radio on in the other room as well. Seems to be working. Oh dear, the bl**dy fireworks have just started up again. I HATE them!!angry

Lewlew Tue 01-Nov-16 17:29:40

We live near a city zoo and luckily the noisy ones are usually well away from us. But I am a bit shocked that in the UK you can buy fireworks for your own personal use.

Oddly, in my old home state in the US you can buy all the guns you want, but fireworks are a no-no confused A kid got his head literally blown off several years ago doing a community display in a small town near mine.He got fireworks by filing for a bogus professional licence/permit. In the 50s and 60s, children lost fingers to fire-crackers and cherry bombs (cherry bombs were equal to 1/4 stick of dynamite back then).

Ironic. But I do fear for the animals as the use of fireworks is on the increase. EG weddings, any holiday (ethnic or traditional). I like the visuals, but hate the bangs!

NonnaW Tue 01-Nov-16 17:31:34

We are lucky in that our 2 don't turn a hair. Not a lot fazes them, but I do have every sympathy for those who are fearful.

callgirl1 Tue 01-Nov-16 17:40:14

Many years ago we had a greyhound cross, and at the first sound of fireworks she`d run into the corner and shake uncontrollably for hours. Nothing would persuade her to move, not even food, which she worshipped. I used to dread this time of year, but strangely, none of our cats has ever seemed bothered by the sound of fireworks.

Tegan Tue 01-Nov-16 17:52:58

Hattie was about to go out last night when a firework went off so she ran straight back in. Later she had an accident in the kitchen; the first time in 9 years that has happened. She was so upset about it sad.Had to reassure her that we understood it wasn't her fault. She doesn't seem to be quite as bad when fireworks go off in the distance, though. Maybe her hearing is going.

granjura Tue 01-Nov-16 18:21:20

Our Gatsby was absolutely terrified of fireworks. We think she was a 'failed' hunting dog and that she had been shot at in the past. It was just awful - and there was little we could do- for weeks, as Diwali merged into Guy Fawkes ... sad

Anya Tue 01-Nov-16 18:47:26

Lewlew that is very odd indeed.

After our fire last year both dogs have significant hearing loss. They were in a house with smoke detectors going off for almost an hour and nearly died. It broke my heart to think of what they went through when we weren't there to protect them sad

At least this means that they are less able to hear the fireworks.

hildajenniJ Tue 01-Nov-16 19:26:16

My little terrier used to be scared witless by fireworks. She would try to dig a hole in the floor. She was a failed gun dog/ratter. She hated loud noises, even traffic. She's much better now though. She is 17 and almost deaf.

shysal Tue 01-Nov-16 19:52:51

www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/thundershirt-the-best-solution-for-dog-anxiety Has anyone tried a Thundershirt? DD found that hers helped calm her dog significantly.

Eloethan Tue 01-Nov-16 23:45:51

Our dog was never that bothered about fireworks but for the last two or three years he has become more and more nervous, to the point where this year he started shaking uncontrollably before going out for his evening walk. So we adjusted the schedule so that he's taken out late afternoon before the absolute mayhem begins.

I'm really coming to the conclusion that the sale of fireworks to individuals should be stopped. In London there are weeks and weeks of fireworks at all hours of the night, and last night big groups of bikers terrorised neighbourhoods by riding on pavements, throwing fireworks and even "launching" fireworks at specific targets.

Anya Wed 02-Nov-16 08:26:16

Police cars have been targeted too. What next? Ambulances?

shabby Wed 02-Nov-16 08:38:51

My dog was only 6 months old last year and not fazed by fireworks. Completely different story this year barking like mad and running around when he hears one. I have bought a Pet Remedy plug in diffuser and have been giving him a couple of drops of Bach's Rescue Remedy in his drinking water. So far so good and we have survived the Diwali fireworks but the big test will be this Saturday!

Granarchist Wed 02-Nov-16 09:10:56

I had this problem years ago, luckily we are in the country and I have a friend who lives a mile up a farm track - so the dogs went to stay overnight with her. Now we have just a JR who is not bothered, probably because she was brought up with a lab who just slept thru it all so she copied him. I will leave the TV on etc, but am really more worried about burglers as we had a couple of dodgy characters around the village on Halloween and our village fireworks are amazing so all houses will be empty.

TriciaF Wed 02-Nov-16 11:47:11

Our border collie hates fireworks too. Also guns going off (hunt) and thunder storms. She heads for the downstairs toilet, seems to feel safer in there.
Like some others on here, her hearing is going now, so she 's not so scared.

Lewlew Wed 02-Nov-16 12:03:22

Eloethan Yikes, bikers running amok on pavements? shock

shysal I want one of those for ME! envy

watermeadow Wed 02-Nov-16 19:24:56

My Cavalier is oblivious to fireworks and thunder but frightened every time I sneeze. My cat is terrified of fireworks. It's distressing for them at the time but they seem to quickly forget.

Eloethan Wed 02-Nov-16 23:19:01

Apparently there were also problems in Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and Northern Ireland.

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/01/biker-gangs-and-firework-throwers-cause-halloween-chaos-for-police

In the BBC London news it was reported that pedestrians were having to jump out of the way as these bikers mounted the pavements at speed and did "wheelies", with some of them throwing fireworks at shops and houses.

aidan Tue 03-Oct-17 16:41:10

Hi all, here are some tips on dealing with dogs and fireworks but if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help!

bumblebee123 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:18:54

We had a dog, Bobby, that was terrified of fireworks and we were told to get some Serene-um tablets They were very good but the dog needs to start taking them before the fire work days start. If you can get some try them now. The fireworks do go on for a couple of weeks.
Brian.

judylow Wed 01-Nov-17 22:56:30

Our cat used to be terrified and hide under a little table (her air raid shelter) if she was downstairs. but lately she takes no notice and I think she now has a problem with her hearing as she doesn't respond to her name any more. An ill wind I suppose.