Gransnet forums

Pets

Name change

(29 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 17-Apr-17 10:55:04

Some of you will know we picked up a rescue cat on Saturday. Sadly our previous cat which was F was PTS in January. We now have an all black M (can't help calling the poor fella she smile).
The centre had called him Coco, I'm not keen. Current options for a name change are
Bertie (Bassetts liquorice, well it isblack)
Jet
Ozzie
Sid
Any other ideas please ?

annsixty Mon 17-Apr-17 11:01:08

No other suggestion just love Bertie ?

tanith Mon 17-Apr-17 11:05:10

I like Bertie but how about Guy or Henry..

Jane10 Mon 17-Apr-17 11:33:22

In our (copious) experience with cats we might give them what seem like good names at first but these mutate over time as the feline in question's personality becomes more obvious to us. How else can I explain how Angus turned into Fuffiboy (sic) and Bayleaf into Spud. Don't even ask what YumYum ended up being called. As for TTB, Runt and Teenie...blush

Abonet Mon 17-Apr-17 11:52:12

Bertie sounds nice.

Grannyben Mon 17-Apr-17 12:26:14

Jetter

SueDonim Mon 17-Apr-17 13:04:31

Like Jane10, we deviate from the names our cats start out with, with all sorts of silliness. blush

Regarding the OP, how about (black) Magic?

Cherrytree59 Mon 17-Apr-17 13:09:18

I also like bertie
What about Sooty?

Cindersdad Mon 17-Apr-17 13:19:45

I read somewhere the cats answer better to names beginning "S" or sounding like that my black she cat is called Cinders we once had a black tom called Sooty. Cinders is feminine, Sooty is either, so is Sweep. You want a name the cat will adapt to easily.

shysal Mon 17-Apr-17 13:25:01

I like Bertie, but to save having to explain it, you could just call him Licorice. Other names that come to mind are:
Beetle, Nero, Yin, Beluga, Marmite and Treacle.

ninathenana Mon 17-Apr-17 14:24:28

H says a black cat called Sooty is "too obvious" hmm
That's another thing H said, previous cat was Skye when we got her vet had her as Skye but she was mostly called Madam or Pusscat. Can't imagine asking "Where is sir" grin

glammanana Mon 17-Apr-17 14:33:29

Bertie sounds good to me and it is not a name you mind calling in when he has gone on his wanders of a night time is it,my Oliver has for some reason become known as "His Lordship" through out the family and he answers to it when called by the children.

hildajenniJ Mon 17-Apr-17 14:44:22

I like Coco. We had a little black toy poodle named Coco. My 3 yr. old daughter named him, the breeder we bought him from called him Jamie.
There was a black cat who lived near me called Sooty.
What about Pango, that means black in the Maori language.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:01:50

I like Bertie, Ozzie reminds me of Ozzie Osborne (you can't inflict that on a cat!)

Ebony?
Pepper (black pepper)
Sable

grannylyn65 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:03:40

My 2 black cats are Stan and Salen !

grannypiper Mon 17-Apr-17 15:04:18

Cfur grin

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:08:52

Satan?

Auntieflo Mon 17-Apr-17 16:01:27

We had a British Blue, called Smoky, but always known as Pud

LadyGracie Mon 17-Apr-17 16:06:33

We had a black cat named Spot. Now have Bertie and Gracie

Charleygirl Mon 17-Apr-17 16:47:41

I picked up Tara from the Cat Protection League and the two names she had been given in different homes before were Connie and Caroline. She did not suit and I did not like either. She was living with me for a week and nameless when it suddenly dawned on me that her new name would be Tara as she is a dainty little madam.

It took no time for her to respond to her name but she is very bright.

kittylester Mon 17-Apr-17 16:52:44

Our black cat is called Kiwi (well, he's an all black cat born during the rugby world cup!) but I love Bertie - DGS2's name!

We had a black and white cat called Pepper - black and white pepper - and his brother was called Sesame (he was ginger!)

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:04:39

Kiwi of course!!

ninathenana Mon 17-Apr-17 17:05:22

kitty as a rugby loving household I'm surprized nobody thought of Kiwi smile
D just messaged to ask how he's settled. I told her we thinking of calling him Bertie, she replied "Love it !" Several people on here like it too so Bertie it is smile
Thanks for your ideas everyone.

Gagagran Mon 17-Apr-17 17:14:37

When I was very small we acquired a grey cat called Smokey but in my logical child's way I called her Chimney (well the smoke does go up the....)and gradually this became her name and was shortened to Chimmy.
The next cat was always Mrs Puss and we had her for 21 years. She was followed by Tigs,then Rocky, Sammy, Clio and Otto. The last two we had were Tinker and Belle who we sadly lost after only a couple of months to a road traffic accident and kidney disease respectively.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Apr-17 20:40:17

I don't know why I didn't think of it, I always support the All Blacks (after England of course)