Gransnet forums

Pets

My last dog or cat?

(99 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 13-May-17 13:33:27

I am 69 and as you know we very recently lost our lovely Grace.
I know it is early days and while I am broken hearted I neither regret the timing nor the peaceful manner of Grace's passing
Now, I feel guilty admitting this, but the house is cleaner without a dog, I do not have to worry about someone to let her out if we have to be away for half a day or longer on one of Paw's hospital visits, and my nights are no longer broken.
This is common sense and does not mean I loved her any less or that I did not accept willingly the price we pay for pet ownership.
I have had dogs for the last 38 years, not counting our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel when I was a child. Each time one crossed the "Rainbow Bridge" I have been in pieces but it has never stopped me going down that road again
However, I am now "free" to visit the DGCs without having to consider kennels (although Paw can't be left for too long, but nor could he have coped if there had been a canine crisis)
My life is complicated enough with his health issues, but of course a waggy tail lifts the spirits!
But also at 69 is it fair to take on another dog? Don't suggest an elderly dog, I KNOW but Grace aged a lot over the last 2/3 years and I am not ready for that yetblush It would not be a puppy sweet as they are, but I don't know if I am active enough.
I suspect I am overthinking this and I have to let the idea rest for a month or two. I have the opportunity to spend a few days in Sweden at the end of June with DDand SIL and Paw's sister has offered to come and stay to look after him, and she has a dog, so not ideal to have 2 dogs especially a "newish" one.
But what I wanted to ask was this.
Who among you has taken on a new dog or cat in your late 60's?

MawBroon Sat 13-May-17 13:38:39

And would you?

Nannylovesshopping Sat 13-May-17 13:56:35

Hi [maw] as fast hurtling to 67, this week actually, last October I took on a rescue cocker spaniel bitch, she is 3 years old. We had a dog, also rescue, for over 15 years when I was married with children many moons ago, and since then have always had rescue cats I lost the last one in April last year, and was heartbroken, I look after my daughter's dog and gds 3 days a week, daughter suggested I had a dog again, the rest is history, already I love her to bits, she has a few problems, which rescue hasn't! which we are working through, she has a very loving nature, but needs lots of exercise, good hours run every day and a shorter one most evenings, she has changed my life, living by myself, am never ever lonely, she always puts a smile on my face, even when we are wrestling for one of my slippers! I have lost weight and feel fitter than ever, lucky to have no health problems, I am so pleased I bit the bullet in having her at my age, I tell myself I'm a spring chicken anyway, and as you say there's nothing quite like a wagging tail, go with your gut instinct, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you smile

whitewave Sat 13-May-17 14:20:23

I am 71 and Duncan the Cairn is 8 in July. If he lives a normal lifespan I shall be battling on to my 75-80s so he is definately our last dog sad.

I can understand when you talk about the extra freedom maw. So we took on Duncan at 10 weeks and I was 63 and we decided then that he will
be our last because primarily we would hope to outlive him and not him having. To go through the trauma of rehoming

Difficult decision

hildajenniJ Sat 13-May-17 14:30:52

We have Wiser who will be 18 in a couple of months. She has health problems associated with old age, and possibly a brain tumour. She will definitely be our last dog. My DH is 66 and about to retire, we would love just to be able to jump in the car and go off for day trips, but we can't with the dog. She doesn't travel well and will not walk very far now. I love dogs, but don't want another.

f77ms Sat 13-May-17 14:42:53

I have cats they are brilliant company and mine are very affectionate . I think that cats are easer to look after , are fine if you want to go away for a weekend as long as you have a cat flap and can be looked after just by someone popping in to feed them. I love dogs too but find them very tying and they don`t do well if left alone for longer than a few hours . I could not live in a house without a pet , it would not seem like home !

tanith Sat 13-May-17 14:58:10

Im also 67 and have been animal free for several years after a lifetime of long lived cats.
We are now free to take a trip or day out without having to consider the cats. I'm lucky in that my neighbours cats visit the garden often for chats and strikes but honestly in glad not to have the expense and responsibility anymore.

Charleygirl Sat 13-May-17 15:10:42

I chose Tara around 10 years ago when I was 63 then. My cat had been put to sleep a few months before and the house appeared to be so empty. I could not live with this emptiness so off to the CPL to choose madam. She has cost me a lot of money because I broke my ankle, needed surgery etc so she was in a cattery for around 6 weeks at a tenner a day. Again for 2 weeks a few years ago when I had my knee replaced and it is hopefully on the cards for my other to be replaced so it is not cheap and that is not including vet fees and scraps with other cats and needing treatment. It is a very difficult decision.

I think what I will do next time is to foster temporarily through the CPL. I will become attached but it will not be 10 years + of attachment.

jacksmum Sat 13-May-17 16:07:46

Hi could you maybe see if The Cinnamon Trust needs any dog walkers in your area? i know they are normally really short of people to walk someones dog while they are unable to due to ill health ,this will mean you still have a dog for some company for short spells of time but not 24/7 at home, x

shysal Sat 13-May-17 16:11:08

I am 70 and have cats aged 9 and 12. I think they will be the last ones I have, due to my life expectancy. I might consider an elderly rescue one when they are gone, but wouldn't want it and DDs to have the hassle of re-homing if anything happened to me. Life without a pet will seem very empty though.sad

MawBroon Sat 13-May-17 16:20:22

Not a solution for me jacksmum but thank you for the suggestion. A dog for me is a member of the family, not just a walking companion.
There is something very FINAL about saying "my last....." it's like my late father saying cheerfully (?) about a suit/jumper/shirt "that will see me out".
When I say "final" I mean depressing.

Charleygirl Sat 13-May-17 16:27:31

MawBroon everything I am having done here at present is for the final time- and will hopefully see me out.

ninathenana Sat 13-May-17 16:43:37

We have had dogs in the past and when we lost our cat in January we discussed getting another dog. H is 69 and at the moment quiet fit (I'm not) but who knows what tomorrow will bring. Also we thought about the freedom of being able to "get up and go" without a second thought. We decided a dog would be too much of a tie.

ninathenana Sat 13-May-17 16:44:51

We got another cat though as the house didn't feel right without a four legged friend

Christinefrance Sat 13-May-17 17:21:42

We rescued our yorkie cross last year and we are both 70. Maggy was 3. However we already had two other dogs so we were already restricted. Having said that our friend has just had a massive stroke and it made us think of our own mortality and making the most of our time. We love our dogs,cat,chicks, sheep and made that a conscious decision to be home birds and look after them. We are having a week's holiday in June now but it involves organisation and expense, 15 euros per day per dog in the kennels and 11 euros for the cat. We are hoping to get away a bit more now but have to consider the financial implications. This is a long winded way of saying, take your time its early days yet, think of the other things you could enjoy if you didn't have a pet.

phoenix Sat 13-May-17 17:29:12

Oh maw, deep down you know the answer to this, don't you?

Charleygirl Sat 13-May-17 17:42:41

I think that she does phoenix but it is very early days. Maybe reconsider in 6 months time.

Judthepud2 Sat 13-May-17 18:01:59

I took on GeorgiethePup at 65 never having owned a dog before (always a cat person). Maw you already know how time consuming and tying dogs are. I wonder is it maybe time to concentrate on the needs of Paw and yourself now? You have lovely memories of Grace to look back on, hopefully soon without pain. Saying that, when we thought Georgie was going to die, I couldn't imagine how empty life would be without her (she was in hospital for 2 weeks). There is something so loving about a dog.

We are going to Santorini soon and G will be staying in a very expensive pet hotel who will cater for her special needs but I am fretting about leaving her already. sad

phoenix Sat 13-May-17 18:12:09

Completely understand Charleygirl . I was very much the same when my beloved Maurice died, wasn't looking for another cat, but.........

Will never forgive my ex husband for insisting that my darling spaniel collie cross, Poppy, was PTS, because she had got a bit incontinent!

wot Sat 13-May-17 18:15:00

I know it's rotten of me but I wish I didn't have Sophie now that the A Hole is leaving. She's such a fussy eater and doesn't seem well.

Judthepud2 Sat 13-May-17 18:17:22

Oh Phoenix how awful! Georgie is incontinent, due to an RTA, which may or may not improve. It isn't a reason for putting a dog down IMO. We just use dog nappies, like having a baby.

MawBroon Sat 13-May-17 20:17:28

I was relieved that Grace stayed continent to the end (not that that would have been grounds for PTS alone) she was very fastidious and still asked to go out even in the night although getting up off her bed was an effort. Once up she would hop out of the kitchen patio doors and could squat quite easily. Only a couple of weeks ago she had a wee chase of a pigeon - unsuccessfully I hasten to add!
Was she in pain? I think the Metacam did a good job and she rarely "expressed" any pain (whimpering etc) but the effort of getting up would get her "panty" towards the end of the day. I hope, no I actually believe, we got in before she was in pain anyway, and have no regrets about the timing or manner of her passing. Just that the 9 years we had her have flown past.
I think phoenix and charleygirl know me well enough by now wink

Crafting Sat 13-May-17 20:34:22

Maw it's entirely up to you (and paw) but ... we have had 3 dogs. Every single one was loved and cherished. We only went on holidays where we could take the dogs as I couldn't bear them to go to kennels. My DH has had many health problems too and if we hadn't had a wonderful neighbour who looked after our last dog for us I do not know what we would do.

We have now been dogless for 11 years. I miss them greatly and often cast fond glances at other people's dogs while out walking. However, it is easier to cope with hospital appointments, take holidays visit friends etc without one.

You don't have to make a big decision now but you can wait a while and see how you get on. The pain you feel from losing Grace is raw. Don't say you won't ever have another dog, or rush out and get one. Just wait a while and see how you feel later. A new dog would certainly help with the pain (not a replacement just someone else to care for) but not necessarily be the right choice at the moment.

Whatever you decide, go with it and never regret your decision ?

MawBroon Sat 13-May-17 20:37:24

smile crafting I do like to think I will never say never again, but you are right. I need to give it time. One last hurdle will be scattering Grace's ashes either in the garden, perhaps under a rose or on a favourite walk.
Then I shall see.

phoenix Sat 13-May-17 22:42:12

I will keep my own counsel, (unusual for me!) but will just say that sometimes things just happen, doesn't always have to be a pro active thing, can be just what they call karma, or is it kismet? Anyway, Maw, no doubt you get my drift, and sending you heartfelt sympathy for your loss, and every good wish for your future.