Gransnet forums

Pets

surprise visitor

(31 Posts)
whereamI555 Thu 25-May-17 16:56:30

I know this may be an odd pet enquiry but has anyone ever had a Peacock suddenly appear in their area (North Wales). Two weeks ago one arrived on our small estate. It has been perching on rooftops. Neighbours have tried feeding it. It roosts here most of the day. We are surrounded by farmland but nobody knows where it came from. Does anyone know what they feed off and how to contact agencies who may help find its owner. Tried LOST PET TOO.
I have tried RSPCA/RSPB but they don't want to know. Which annoys me, they are supposed to be animal lovers. NOT.
How on earth it could be caught we don't know but without care it could suffer. Even tried online videos of Peacocks calling to try and tempt it down but not interested. Any help/advice would be appreciated. smile

HildaW Thu 25-May-17 16:59:50

You might get more response from a small scale local animal charity.

HildaW Thu 25-May-17 17:01:26

P.S. they are evidently good scavengers (just googled them) so can live wild if they have a mind to.

phoenix Thu 25-May-17 17:27:42

I bet it's noisy, it's the breeding season!grin

grannylyn65 Thu 25-May-17 17:32:07

gringrin

ElaineI Thu 25-May-17 23:00:50

Facebook sometimes have local groups which post about missing/found animals/birds etc.

Janetblogs Fri 26-May-17 06:42:49

Yes one Christmas a peahen suddenly walked past our front window - neighbours and I all tried to find owner but with no success it lived quite happily if somewhat lonely for a few years amongst all the cars and grass et. And obviously didn't starve It's gone now and apparently is living amongst peacock friends in a house near the forest which we back onto
Police RSPCA etc nobody would come out though

TriciaF Fri 26-May-17 13:49:25

I think peacocks were in the groups of domesticated birds which had to be culled during the last outbreak of avian flu - maybe it's a refugee from that?
Some friends here used to keep them, but they've left now, so I can't ask their advice.
Enjoy having your visitor!

SueDonim Fri 26-May-17 14:21:50

Locals in this area periodically find peacocks in their gardens. One person acquired a peahen, who intimated her cats and two Great Dane dogs into total submission.

It disappeared one early spring but reappeared a couple of months later with four pea-babies in tow! You wouldn't expect it to be that easy for a peahen to find a mate in rural Scotland but she managed! grin

Greyduster Sat 27-May-17 07:37:59

If it sheds any if it's tail feathers, please let me know! They are great for making fishing flies! ?

fiorentina51 Sat 27-May-17 07:47:57

We had one visit our garden in Worcestershire some years ago. He stayed a few days then moved over the road, stayed there a couple of days then left. Lovely looking bird but very noisy.

ExaltedWombat Sat 27-May-17 09:38:31

Is the creature in distress?

Sheilasue Sat 27-May-17 09:45:27

Yes I live not far from Greenwich we have the Woolwich community page on FB and there was one being photographed all over different places it turned out we had two.
Then one morning one was sitting on a fence opposite where I live. Happily they were both captured not harmed and went to a centre.
Get in touch with your local council may be they can advise.

ajanela Sat 27-May-17 10:05:11

I was enjoying the quiet of an empty house and eating lunch in my garden. I looked up and there was a peacock sitting on the corner of my bungalow roof. I was stunned. Like you I rang various charities for advise without success, whilst it sat on my front doorstep. I could see it through the glass door.
In the end it went off down the road, We live in a rural area and there are a number of large houses with peacocks in their gardens so I presumed it would find it's way home.

Kitspurr Sat 27-May-17 10:19:59

Poor old thing. Maybe this rescue can help?
Even if you're not in their area, perhaps they can suggest a rescue in your area.

www.fenlandanimalrescue.org.uk

www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-36557754

starlily106 Sat 27-May-17 10:41:47

If you live anywhere near a zoo or a holiday park (like Flamingoland), they may be willing to help. There are 3 at our local park and I think 2 of them were 'strays'. They live in small enclosures with hens, rabbits and guinea pigs, and a few exotic birds.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 27-May-17 11:02:19

I find it somewhat unusual the RSPCA and RSPB did not at least give guidance even if they themselves would not take action.

inishowen Sat 27-May-17 11:19:49

I would contact local media, tv, radio and newspapers. They would love the story and might be able to find out if someone is missing their peacock.

Bez1989 Sat 27-May-17 15:14:25

Maybe Google Hollytrees Animal Rescue
in Warwickshire and you may get some advice from a Very experienced animal rescuer Ray Deddicoat. I'm sorry I can't paste the Web site onto here.

Funnygran Sat 27-May-17 15:43:12

whereaml555 have just seen this and wondering where in North Wales you are. Last year we visited Gwydir Castle near Conwy and there were a lot of peacocks there and some flying about. Maybe one has become disorientated?

rosesarered Sat 27-May-17 15:48:08

I have seen peacocks ( in the singular, one at a time) grin several times around a village near me.Walking quite unconcernedly along the verge next to a road.This is over the course of ten years, it could be the same bird ( how long do they live?)
Or different ones, coming and going from wherever they usually live.They seemed fine.

meandashy Sat 27-May-17 16:10:18

I think they can live without interference, no bother. They are noisy and smelly and can be aggressive too!
If it isn't injured I would leave it be ?

glammanana Sat 27-May-17 16:57:28

Depending where you live in North Wales I would ring Chester Zoo and ask for their thoughts on the matter they may be able to direct you into the right way to go,I am not surprised RSPCA did not respond they are quite useless imo,we had a RSPCA rescue centre in the lane at the back of our old house and on the gate at the entrance was a sign which stated "No Stray Cats or Dogs" inform your local Police Station,what was that all about then? I thought it was a Charity funded by us the General Public.

Gemmag Sat 27-May-17 17:02:26

We had one in my neighbourhood some years ago. It came back every year for a few years. I believe I read somewhere that it is looking for a mate.

Jayem Sat 27-May-17 17:35:25

Treat it as you would any other itinerant bird. I used to have a couple of peacocks. Beautiful! Think of them as large decorative chickens. I love the call they make - wild and primitive!! Feed it if you want it to hang about. Don't if you don't! They are not delicate or fragile.