Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog on a train

(74 Posts)
Juney64 Thu 01-Jun-17 13:50:03

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of taking their dog on a train. Here's my situation...

I have to travel to London for a day for medical reasons. My husband is coming too and the trip is just short of two hours each way. Having exhausted every avenue, short of putting my dog into kennels, I have no option other than to take him too. I've no concerns at all regarding his behaviour as he is a retired Guide Dog for the Blind. He's a golden lab and is 10 years old. We adopted him in December.

Today I went to book the train tickets (goodness, train travel is expensive) and had the option to choose a seat type - table seat / no table / aisle / window / quiet carriage, etc. Having run this around in my head, I can't decide which type of seat would be best so thought I'd ask if any Grans (or Grandads) had experience of this and, if so, what would you recommend regarding seat type? Obviously he won't be on a seat but under!

Also, does anyone have any tips to make his day more comfortable other than the obvious - taking water, poop bags, etc? It's going to be at least an eight hour day.

Dyffryn Thu 01-Jun-17 13:57:17

I travel regularly by train and I have seen many dogs. They have all seemed quite happy, even lying in the gangway. The only time it has been difficult for the dog owners is when the train has been busy and there is not much space for the dog. Ask at the ticket office. They should be able to advise you on the best seat to have.

Juney64 Thu 01-Jun-17 14:10:12

Thanks Dyffren. The thing is, I'm not travelling until 10th June. I'm trying to book the ticket online now because the sooner I book, the cheaper the cost. As it stands, if I booked today the cost is already around £150 and that's for standard, off-peak . This is why I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for responding - I didn't know dogs were allowed in the gangways.

NanaandGrampy Thu 01-Jun-17 14:18:51

I used to travel to Crufts by train with my Bernese Mountain dogs - so a giant breed. If I had the chance to book a table seat I usually did and the dogs happily passed the journey under the table but that was always dependent on travelling with friends who didn't mind a dog under their table.

Alternately, I went by Underground and always sat at one end by the linking door that's not used . They happily sat and begged tried to gain attention by offering a paw or such.

Lots of water , poo bags and lunch for you because so many places would not let you take him inside or have outside facilities for you to sit. Maybe google the area and see if there's some parkland nearby ?

It'll be a long old day for you all - but good luck and hope you enjoy it !

hildajenniJ Thu 01-Jun-17 15:03:09

I travel regularly between Carlisle and Glasgow by train, and find it cheapest to book tickets via thetrainline.com. I find that the cheapest way is to book two single tickets for my journey instead of a return. As for dogs on the train, I don't think it matters what sort of seat you book, as I've encountered people with dogs in all types of seat.

MawBroon Thu 01-Jun-17 15:06:38

Just one thought - what about the other end I.e.London. Not all taxi drivers will take a dog and a bus might be scary for him. Would a dog sitter at your house not be a kinder option? You can't take a Lab on an escalator (too big to carry) and not every tube station has lifts.
I would really recommend leaving him at home with either someone popping in every couple of hours or indeed sitting in with him. It seems kinder.

MawBroon Thu 01-Jun-17 15:07:26

PS you can't take a dog into a hospital either.

Iam64 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:04:46

Just a thought, would anyone involved with guide dogs take him for the day? I have several friends who care for guide dog pups and they often have an extra with them to help owners out,
Dogs and taxis is a real B

Juney64 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:28:46

NannyandGrampy - you know I didn't think of taking lunch - well, not for us but I'd thought of it for the dog! I'll take lunch.

You sound very comfortable with your dog travel experiences and that makes me feel more relaxed. Thanks for your good wishes - we're looking forward to it - I think.

hildajenniJ that's a great tip. I've just looked on thetrainline.com and you're right. I'm able to get the tickets around £15 cheaper. Thanks for that. I'll remember that for the future and mention it to my son too. He travels by train frequently.

MawBroon - he's a retired Guide Dog and is comfortable getting on and off buses and trains (I'm told). I intend to take him on a one station 'trial run' next week to make sure. He's only been transported by car during his time with us. He's actually at his happiest when he's out and about with lots of people and after a lot of discussion, handled properly, we think he'll probably have a great day. I had to do this visit last year so know the geography of where we're going. It's not a hospital as such - more an office type setting. One of my sons lives and works in London and he's booked a half day off to meet us. He's delighted to look after the dog during my appointment. They adore each other. We're travelling to Waterloo and I know there are lifts there but I'm not sure about the other end so thanks for that - hadn't thought that one through. I'm off to google ?

Auntieflo Thu 01-Jun-17 16:35:53

Juney, have you tried the Tickety Split site? I haven't myself, but apparently you can buy split tickets for your journey, as long as your train stops at the relevant stations. You don't have to get off. The Martin Lewis web site promoted Tickety Split. I'm not sure if I have explained this properly, but no doubt other GN's can give better advice.

Juney64 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:36:02

Iam64 - I hadn't thought of that. Not doing very well, am I? I'm in a quandary now. With your post and MawBroon's, I'm now thinking again.

Looks like more discussion is needed - what to do? ?

Juney64 Thu 01-Jun-17 16:38:51

No Auntieflo - never heard of it! Thanks for that. Off to google again ?

NanaandGrampy Thu 01-Jun-17 16:44:57

You can book a taxi directly with Addison Lee , they're a private hire company and if you ask at the time of booking , they will choose a driver who will allow your dog.

Most vehicles are MPVs so plenty of room.

The downside is that they are often dearer than a black cab, but calling and asking will let you know the cost before you book. It's a set fee by the way , it's not like a metered black cab.

Juney64 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:02:12

Ok - I googled splityourticket.trainsplit.com. There were no suggested train changes when I looked up my journey. From what I read the largest saving is achieved if you're prepared to change trains. However, for the same journey, with no changes, there's a saving of £21.

Thanks Iam64. That's quite a large saving on one day out. I'll remember this one for the future too.

Juney64 Thu 01-Jun-17 17:09:42

Addison Lee - haven't heard of them. The only one I'd heard of was Uber but I've no idea of their policy regarding dogs.

That's great to know - I've put them in my address book NanaandGrampy. I didn't expect all this information so thanks very much.

NanaandGrampy Thu 01-Jun-17 17:46:58

They are actually bigger than black cabs now. Do lots of corporate work but are available to the general public too.

We're a font of knowledge us Grans smile

oldgoat Thu 01-Jun-17 23:28:25

I've travelled from York to Edinburgh by train several times with my dog.I try to book a single seat with nobody opposite so that he can lie on the floor at my feet and not get kicked. I carry his waterbottle and snacks but he's been offered free bottles of water by kind train crew. He usually sleeps all the way on his blanket and we've had no problems.
Are dogs not allowed on escalators?

phoenix Thu 01-Jun-17 23:42:29

There are signs at the top & bottom of escalators on the underground saying "Dogs must be carried*

Bit of a bugger if you don't happen to have a dog!

MawBroon Fri 02-Jun-17 06:46:37

gringrin

Stansgran Fri 02-Jun-17 07:35:49

DH always goes to the station at a quiet time and asks when he should book for the cheapest tickets. They are a mine of helpful information. Came back from Manchester airport with luggage and was told not to change at York( which I would have thought obvious to do so) but at Huddersfield as we wouldn't have to even change platforms, whereas it would have been lifts and a trek in York. But we live close to the station.

Anya Fri 02-Jun-17 08:12:04

I'd leave him with a trusted friend or family member myself.

Anya Fri 02-Jun-17 08:13:01

Or a friendly neighbour.

Christinefrance Fri 02-Jun-17 08:23:17

Phoenix grin grin

MawBroon Fri 02-Jun-17 09:48:36

I appreciate that an ex-guide dog could cope better than most with the stress of train travel, people's feet, traffic and, well, London, but I still think it would be kinder not to inflict it on him.
I know Guide Dogs for the Blind say you must not leave one of their rehomed dogs for more than 4 hours (frankly my bladder would be protesting too) but surely somebody could help out. If you lived in my part of the world I would be only too happy to, but if your train goes into Waterloo you clearly don't. sad

trisher Fri 02-Jun-17 10:23:59

If you are booking seats I would go for a table and book one seat at each side. There is a facility to move to the seat you want when booking on line. You are then likely to get the whole table to yourself and dog can happily curl up under the table. However even if you book you may find on the day that part of the train is much emptier than the rest and prefer to move to a quieter carriage. I don't know why but it always seems that they book all the seats in the same place and the rest of the train is vacant
If he is an ex-Guide dog I am sure he will probably enjoy the trip. It will bring back memories of his working life. Much like the rest of us oldies he will be OK to do it once but then will happily sink back into retirement grin. Oh and well done you for taking such a dog into your home.