Gransnet forums

Pets

Harvest Mites/Chiggers

(10 Posts)
mammabear Mon 31-Jul-17 09:01:11

My dog has caught harvest mites every year since he was a puppy. The vet advises it is because he has light skin , and my other dogs are dark skinned and dont catch/attract them.
Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions to get rid of or prevent them.
He is bathed in Citronella which is supposed to stop biting insects. Frontline is used regularly on all our dogs but seems to be ineffective against these critters.
He is now scratching and his hair is falling out and he has sore places around his groin and the tops of his legs.
I will take him to the vets today for more medication but just wondered if anybody has a more natural remedy.

hildajenniJ Mon 31-Jul-17 09:44:31

My dog used to get them every year. I found that the only solution was not to walk her across farmland or fields of long grass. I never found a solution, or anything that stopped her getting the mites in her coat. I tried e very product on the market. Good luck.

TriciaF Mon 31-Jul-17 18:52:06

They're rampant around here (SW France) and humans are bitten by them as well as animals.
As hildajenni says, the only way to avoid them is to avoid walking in long grass etc.
For some reason our dog - longhaired border collie, has never been affected. Maybe they can't get through her fur.
But I could write a book about my bites grin They're so itchy!

mammabear Tue 01-Aug-17 09:22:37

Thanks for responding,we visited the vets yesterday and got some more frontline to spray on and cream for the sore bits. So he went to bed with his cream on and DGS first size baby vest to stop him licking!

whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 09:27:15

Can you see them mamma only our dog is biting and we e deflead bathed etc to no avail! It might be a skin thing I suppose.

mammabear Tue 01-Aug-17 15:19:37

Hi Whitewave, they are very tiny ginger coloured mites, usually in clusters and if not removed eat the flesh of the poor animal.

Look like rust spots. Usually between foot pads and work their way up the leg to armpits and belly, saying that my boy has had a nest on his eyebrow.

whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 16:31:47

Oh it isn't that then as I can't find a thing. We are having him stripped this week so perhaps a shorter coat will feel more comfortable.

whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 16:32:32

Thank for replying mmamma how is your dog doing?

mammabear Tue 01-Aug-17 17:09:04

he is a lot more comfortable today , thanks.

he has had a wash and more Frontline spray applied and will have cream on again tonight.

This continue to about September and then thats it for another year.

whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 17:56:23

He now has colic at the moment looking very sorry for himself. I have largely cracked it by feeding him little and often, but he hasn't eaten anything today so now is all gassy and painful.

Dogs eh!!