Gransnet forums

Pets

I wish I hadn't volunteered now

(38 Posts)
Smurf52 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:21:59

My former daughter in law has had a tough time with her current husband who is currently on remand. She and my granddaughter are off on holiday for two weeks to get away from it all. DIL said she was desperate to find someone to look after their two dogs as all doggy daycare is fully booked.

I am retired with time on my hands so thought why not. I had a westie several years ago and miss having a dog. The dogs were duly delivered on Monday evening. One is a rescue Bichon Frise male aged 6 whom they've had for a couple of years. The other is a Cavalier King Charles spaniel female pup aged 7 months.

I am in rented accommodation (landlord accepts pets as previous tenants had a dog) with carpets (i am vacating in two months and have to have the carpets professionally cleaned soon anyway) and but unfortunately no garden. The pup is on her first heat. The male has been neutered but still mounts the pup. I have bought sanitary pads and pants but the pup chews them off so there is blood everywhere to compound matters. I have got the right size. I am taking them for four short walks a day at 7.30, 12.00, 5.00 and just before bedtime (11pm ish) in the park across the road. I have them on separate retractable leads but they keep crossing over each other tangling up the leads. Its awkward when one does a poo to pick it up with the other tugging on the lead.

The male is good apart from the humping issue. The pup is very affectionate but despite walks, she poops and wets my carpet. I seem to be forever cleaning up with the Vanish carpet cleaner and with no garden to turf them out to between walks. I was cleaning my teeth last night at midnight (i go to bed late) and when i turned round the pup had pooped and wet my bedroom carpet. I just burst into tears as i have another 2 weeks of this...

They are used to sleeping on DIL and DGD beds at home. My westie always used to so i have no problem with that and once the pair are settled on my bed all is well until 8am when they wake me up.

They have a couple of scoops of dry dog food twice a day morning and evening. I had got them some doggy treats but have stopped that now as they weren't eating their food and the pup had a runny bum.

Has anyone coped in a similar situation. I am beginning to wish i had only taken one now but have to put up with the situation. I have no-one i can share the dogs with to help out.

willa45 Thu 03-Aug-17 16:11:32

Smurf

Nanaandgrampy mentioned a crate. I would purchase a large crate (she can sleep and eat in and move around freely). You can send them the bill later) and place the puppy inside at night with a blanket and some toys (both dogs if she cries a lot). Dogs will rarely soil where they sleep so she'll likely hold it in.

Perhaps other dog experts can weigh in. I haven't had a dog in years but crating them is a good way to get them 'housebroken'.

Put the crate as close to the exit as you can. Line the path with doggie pads. As soon as you get up in the a.m., let her out of the crate and be sure to give her plenty of praise whenever she does outdoors. If she comes back without success, crate her again and wait an hour or two (she'll likely be ready then) and then outside again. Whenever she does her business outside give her plenty of praise and scold her if she soils inside your house. Once she picks a place outside, take her to the same place going forward.

You can keep her crated for two or three hour intervals and then outside right away, followed by plenty of praise or treat if she goes in 'her' outdoor place.

You can let her out of the crate for short intervals, but only if you can keep a close eye on her.

Try the crate. Worse case, she'll be confined instead of destroying your floors and best case, she should be completely house broken in a very short time.

jane1956 Thu 03-Aug-17 16:18:07

been doing similar as 2 v old dogs left at my sons (they back tomorrow) have to go down every 2 hours except at night but always wet patches yes put puppy pads down and incontinence sheets on settee etc fed up but pleased they are back soon (although he has informed me aleady booded next year!)

Smurf52 Sat 05-Aug-17 10:43:24

Things are settling down a bit more. My DIL is trying to arrange for someone to have the pup but I'm not holding my breath. The pup is now doing her business out on walks. Apart from first and last walks, i am taking them out separately. The pup still has a nappy indoors for the menstruals (and happily that's all that's in the nappy now). I have managed to see to my own hygiene now, showering and changing my clothes as well as some housework and laundry, so feeling a lot more positive.

This depression i have had is a similar feeling as to when i first brought home my twin baby boys 38 years ago from the hospital. Hubby had to go back to work (no paternity leave then) and suddenly i had to cope on my own with two newborns after help from nurses. I got over it then and i will now!!

glammanana Sat 05-Aug-17 11:01:46

Smurf Just be careful the days after menstrals stop as she will be very firtile after that time so needs really to be kept away from any male dogs,has the older dog had the "doggy snip" I certainly hope so.

Cornishgirl777 Sat 05-Aug-17 11:03:43

I use plastic shower curtains on the floor,if necessary...Wilkinsons are the best value....make sure they're plastic,though as I naively presumed all shower curtains were.

NanaandGrampy Sat 05-Aug-17 12:28:33

They do need to be fed then walked- but they also need to go as soon as they get up and without easy outdoor space that a walk before breakfast and a walk after.

This is going to sound very harsh Smurf but I have had dogs all my life so am speaking with years of experience behind me - that pup needs training - despite your DD health problems and if she is not up to it then she truly should not have got the pup.

House training is not difficult, most dogs get it really quickly and you are doing the dog a grave disservice not to train it properly.

Who will want to look after the pup going forward ? It has caused you immense stress, not because of looking after it but because it is not properly trained.

I too have never used nappies for bitches in season , I must either be less house-proud or less stressed than you :-)

Good luck with the rest of the time you have them.

Smurf52 Wed 09-Aug-17 13:50:50

Yes the male has had the snip thank goodness. The nappies are working well, catching the menstrual flow. I take them off for walkies of course.
I have an update. I have arranged to collect DILs keys to the house from her dad later on today. Hooray..there will be a garden and the fur kids will have their familiar home territory. Oh and they have laminate flooring too!! grin

Kennedy Thu 10-Aug-17 13:25:53

I yes, I definitely agree. Save you a lot of work later.
All the very best of luck.

watermeadow Thu 10-Aug-17 19:09:02

You poor soul! The pup should be completely house-trained at 7 months but going out 4 times a day is nowhere near enough and she shouldn't be taken anywhere she will meet other dogs while she's in season. How will you cope when every male dog within smelling distance leaps on top of her? She must not get pregnant at such a young age. Ditch the extending leads, they're dangerous and give you no control.
You'd manage best by staying in DiL's home with the dogs, keeping the pup securely in her own garden, away from all other dogs. Her season will last 3 weeks at least and male dogs will get at her if they possibly can.

Alexa Tue 19-Dec-17 01:16:09

Can you roll up the carpet in one of the rooms for the remaining ten days? I have hard floors and no problem if the dog has the occasional accident. These Wham brushes with short hard bristles can be used to grip an old bath towel, push it around with a skoosh of water and a dash of floor cleaner, then the washing machine does the work.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Dec-17 06:31:30

Nappies for dogs........oh my word I have never heard of the like, poor dogs no wonder they chew them off I have had females in heat you need to put things down on the floor old sheets if you have carpeted areas or just wipe up elsewhere they only leave drips not puddles ..,,do people put nappies on cats too nowadays what next... tampons

I think alimas idea is a good one move into daughters house with the garden
Gosh that is a huge load you have taken on I d be just like you ‘yes of course I ll help’
This is going to sound judgemental but why oh why has your daughter in law taken on a boisterous puppy if she has MS Surely one dog is as much as she should manage

Alexa Tue 19-Dec-17 12:13:08

Watermeadow I agree with. No wonder you feel overworked!

Even when I was young and fit I'd not have liked to take on two dogs especially someone else's dogs unless I had a secure garden for them, especially for a bitch on heat!