Gransnet forums

Pets

dog barking at night

(48 Posts)
TriciaF Tue 26-Sep-17 16:55:59

Our border collie is nearly 15, and has become very deaf over the last year. She's always been 'highly strung' and since going deaf follows us around anxiously.
Since she was a puppy she's had a habit of barking at night now and again, whether she's inside or out. We live in the country and there are probably a few wild visitors during the night. This has become a much bigger problem recently, we need our sleep.
If she starts, usually about 2-3am, when we've been fast asleep, I sometimes make her come upstairs to sleep in our bedroom, but it's an effort.
Finally, I've also put her in the chicken run a few times, at the back of the house where we can't hear her. If it rains she can shelter in the chicken house, which is open.
The question is, is it cruel to do this? And has anyone any other solutions?

whitewave Tue 26-Sep-17 17:07:29

She needs you!!! You can get a sort of lift things that go under their tummies or make up something yourself.
We keep our dogs bed upstairs and that is where he sleeps.
Don't shut her outsad

mimiro Tue 26-Sep-17 17:08:30

its so hard when they age/i dont know of a solution but if she doesn't mind the chicken house,,,why not.
second there is a form of" doggie alzhiemers"
and last some say- they do it because they can hear it/
and i imagine it is very confusing for them.trying to do thier job still.
search old deaf dog barking.it is not uncommon.there is alot of information

TriciaF Wed 27-Sep-17 11:57:05

Thanks to both of you. I looked up the Google links and it does help.
I'm not a dog expert at all - she's the first dog we've had, so don't know what to expect etc.
Last night I put her bed upstairs with us at 11 pm and she came up quite happily and slept until 4am.Then started scratching the door to go out. I went down with her and opened the door - she rushed out and did a bit of barking, then came back up to her bed and went back to sleep smile. I think we'll have to leave all doors open.

TriciaF Wed 27-Sep-17 15:28:23

I'd forgotten - when I eventually got back to sleep I had a dream that she'd fallen into the well in our garden and sunk into the deep water. Then she changed into DD1 who is a good swimmer, swam back up and climbed out. Husband always says I treat her like a daughter, even call her by daughter's name sometimes.

jacksmum Wed 27-Sep-17 15:49:41

Sounds like your dog more than likely has dementia, try her on aktivait, you can get it from the vets or on line, it works really well .

whitewave Wed 27-Sep-17 18:18:02

Oh goodsmile I'm so glad you've decided to do that!!
In her doggy way she is a member of your pack and to be excluded will be a dreadful thing for her. She feels secure with you close by to safeguard her in her old age.

BlueBelle Wed 27-Sep-17 18:57:35

Ahh I hope you don't put her out in the chicken run poor old thing, she's old, over 100 ( in our years) I think she needs your company and may not sleep as soundly as when she was a young un
I wouldn't start giving her tablets she's on a natural decline as a very elderly lady just let her be as she's most comfortable 15 is a very good age

Iam64 Wed 27-Sep-17 20:29:09

I agree that whilst I sympathise, putting your old dog in the chicken run isn't the best response to her old age.

Is she still reasonably fit other than the deafness. We had an old border collie cross who definitely became confused/demented in the final year of her life. Our vet prescribed anti inflammatories because she had hip pain that made getting into a standing position hard for her. That helped her settle.
I feel there is something special about our old dogs, they deserve the best we can give them in the final stages of their lives.

DanniRae Wed 27-Sep-17 20:36:49

sad for your old dog and all the dogs that I have had to an old age sad

Felix2007 Wed 27-Sep-17 21:20:47

We had an elderly (18) cocker spaniel who had never barked much, but towards the end of his life did bark quite often as he was deaf. I believe it comforted him.

Alima Wed 27-Sep-17 21:25:48

What an amazing age for a spaniel Felix. Both of our Springers lived to 14 and both by then had adopted some strange behaviours caused by failing eyesight and loss of hearing. I agree with others on here Tricia, she really wants to be with you.

yogagran Wed 27-Sep-17 22:19:54

Please don't shut her out, she'll be totally confused and unhappy. She needs company and reassurance from you. It may seem "inconvenient" but it's one of the responsibilities we take on when we take a dog into to our lives.
If she is deaf she won't be hearing any of the wild visitors outside but if she is actually outside with them she'll certainly see and smell them which will make her extremely frightened

jacksmum Wed 27-Sep-17 22:24:06

I have just reread this thread, i cant believe you are thinking of shutting this elderly dog out and hoping it will shelter in the chicken run !!! would you do that to an elderly relative !!!! , sorry but you are not a a good dog owner ,

Hilltopgran Wed 27-Sep-17 22:42:00

We have kept Border Collies for the last 40 years, and they are very reactive, and do bark when worried, so your dog may be worried rather than reacting to noise.

We give ours the run of most of the house at night, they have a bed in our room, and the current one does wander about and become unsettled sometimes in the early hours.

Perhaps a visit and check at the vets would be a good idea, she may be reacting to sudden pain. I was relieved to read you have decided not to put her in the chicken run in future.

Tea and cake Thu 28-Sep-17 07:34:11

Sounds like old dog dementia. Does she wander aimlessly from room to room as well? Ours did. Keep her close. She's an old lady and this sounds like the beginning of the end. I know it's annoying to be woken up but she can't help it. Poor old thing.

TriciaF Thu 28-Sep-17 08:35:07

She actually quite likes to be in the chicken run - she enjoys, herding them, and its a big area, very sheltered.
She's quite fit for her age, TG, and still skips around like a puppy when she's excited (going for a walk etc.)
But I agree it is a bit cruel now, since she's gone deaf.
Also, we live in the south of France where the climate is warm and she has always preferred to be outside. Nobody around here keeps their dogs in the house.

DanniRae Thu 28-Sep-17 08:44:18

Ok Tricia I have a different view of your dog sleeping outside now - I was very sad to think of her out in the wind and rain feeling totally abandoned. It made me shed a tear to be honest and I couldn't stop thinking about it when I went to bed (esp as it was pouring with rain last night).
But I still think she now needs to be near you at night for comfort in her old age - it's a very sad time when our dogs get old sad
Please do your best for her x

merlotgran Thu 28-Sep-17 08:50:31

I'm starting to feel sorry for the chickens now if the dog can go in and out of the coop willy nilly. Are they not shut in at night?

TriciaF Thu 28-Sep-17 10:42:13

merlotgran - Our chicken run is an area of about 300sq.m. It has a 1.5m fence all around, the gate always closed. Their 'house' is nearly as big as an average garage, with a roof and windows. Sheltered by an overhanging tree.
We leave their house door open in summer to ventilate, and close it when it gets really cold (rare here.)
Our dog is a longhaired border collie with about 3 coats, she loves cold weather, doesn't even mind light rain.
But as I said above, I think the time has come now to keep her indoors more.

glammanana Thu 28-Sep-17 13:23:48

She needs to be indoors with you poor thing,I can't understand that you know nothing about dogs when she if 15 yrs old how have you managed until now.

merlotgran Thu 28-Sep-17 13:35:39

To be far to Tricia, many working collies live their entire lives outside even in the depths of winter. They are a hardy breed. The south of France sounds a lot cushier for an outside dog northern counties of the British Isles.

They are loved and well cared for just not indoor pets.

Recognising an elderly dog now needs some home comforts is a lot better than a quick bullet because it has outlived its usefulness.

TriciaF Thu 28-Sep-17 14:12:09

Thanks MerlotGran.
To put the record straight she's only once slept in the chicken run, and that was when we had a visitor who was terrified of dogs. She was quite happy when we let her out in the morning.
She won't even eat in the house. she eats raw and picks up her piece of meat, chicken etc and takes it outside taking her time over eating it. (I know shock horror raw chicken.)
Having a dog in the country is quite different from in a town. We rarely close our outer door.
I can assure you, glammanana she's probably fitter and healthier than any town dog.

TriciaF Thu 28-Sep-17 16:13:42

This thread has opened my eyes to some of the changes of attitudes towards animals recently.
She's a frisky, 15 yr old dog in good health, for goodness sake. Not a decrepit Granny of 100 with dementia. TG.
Maybe some of you grew up in a different generation from me. (I'm 81.) I might sound a bit hard, but we had to be tough to survive the hardships we experienced

Bluegal Thu 28-Sep-17 18:03:00

Hi TriciaF - I guess a lot of us are just plain dog daft! It all depends what your dog has been used to. If she had always slept in a chicken run then I wouldn't see any harm in it, however, if she has never done this before then to send her there now at such an old age could be cruel as she will not understand why she is being abandoned and may even see it as a type of punishment.

As she is so old, I think I would rather make her as comfortable as possible, where she knows, even if it means getting up a couple of times in the night?

FWIW my 3 year old often barks for no apparent reason during the night! He obviously hears something and is warning us but its mighty annoying! I wouldn't put him outside though but am in chilly UK and have neighbours so its not really an option anyway.

I am sure you will sort it to suit you all.