Gransnet forums

Pets

My poor Cinders

(17 Posts)
Cindersdad Sat 04-Nov-17 08:30:59

How long does it take to get over the sudden loss of a pet who was so deeply loved and loved back. She went out in daylight at about 4pm on Thursday and half a hour later I got a phone call "Do you own a cat called Cinders?", she had been run over just outside the front gate. Normally she went around the back of the house and we always let her out into the back garden.

My wife is on holiday and I dread telling her when she comes home. Cinders was my cat and definitely me her dad. Just thinking about makes me weepy and guilty because I could have kept her in then. No new animal if we get one will ever replace my beautiful Black Gorgeous loving Cinders who was just 5 years and 5 months old.

She was a soulmate, companion unlike any other cat or dog I've had before. I just keep hearing her bell though I know she's no longer there and I miss her so dreadfully.

SueDonim Sat 04-Nov-17 08:50:38

I'm so sorry, Cindersdad. In all truth, I'm not sure you do get over the loss very quickly, if at all. We lost our little cat last year. She had a congenital heart condition and we knew when we took her on that she would likely have a short life. Even so, I was not prepared for the level of grief when she declined within the space of a week or so, at the age of five and we had to say goodbye to her.

We now have two beautiful rescue cats who are tremendous fun but Willow will have a special space in my heart forever, as Cinders will in yours. flowers

phoenix Sat 04-Nov-17 09:21:50

So sorry to hear of the loss of your cat, we have lost 3 over the past few years, and still think of them, even though we currently have 2 lovely tabby boys who bring us much joy.

Each pet is special, I don't think you ever "replace" them, you perhaps just find another special one to share your home with.

lemongrove Sat 04-Nov-17 10:11:55

Sorry to hear that Cindersdad
Each pet we all have is special to us, and grief is normal but do not feel guilty about it.Accidents happen.
I still haven’t replaced my last cat after 3 years, but will when I am ready to, and so will you.smile

lemongrove Sat 04-Nov-17 10:13:41

There are so many cats and dogs out there that need new homes.

Jane10 Sat 04-Nov-17 10:24:35

How awful for you and such a horrible shock. Of course it hurts. We love our pets so much and they really are parts of the family. Over the years we've lost cats to illness and old age but the one who went out one night and never came back home again broke my heart. I remember walking the streets in tears looking for her to no avail.
You'll never replace poor Cinders but you can have another totally different one once you feel up to it.
Best wishes.

Christinefrance Sat 04-Nov-17 10:38:21

So sorry you have lost your lovely cat, take time to grieve now, losing a pet is difficult, we all understand that.
As Phoenix said you will never replace your much loved Cinders but in time you may feel ready to give another cat a good home.

Squiffy Sat 04-Nov-17 10:49:23

So sorry Cindersdad They are so much more than just a pet, aren't they?

When our previous cat had to be pts I vowed that I could never go through losing another one (she was the last in a long line of cats over the years, though the others had been run over). That vow was soon broken. A week later I contacted Cats Protection and a week after that we adopted our current family member. I just couldn't live in a catless home, so perhaps you will feel the same after a while.

Scribbles Sat 04-Nov-17 10:55:23

Take time to mourn your lovely Cinders. She will always have her place in your heart but, when the time is right, another special cat will find you.

callgirl1 Sat 04-Nov-17 17:48:49

Our lovely Pepper was run over just over 5 years ago. I adored him, and was heartbroken, as was my husband, but, even though Pepper will never be forgotten, we took on another beautiful rescue cat, Mia, a month later, and she is also very much loved.

glammanana Sat 04-Nov-17 18:56:20

I'm so sorry to hear of your sad loss,from experience I can say you never can replace a much loved pet just keep them safe in your memory.
I'm sure you will find when the time is right to open up your
hearts to another cat who will become as much loved as cinders was.

BlueBelle Sat 04-Nov-17 19:13:01

Ahh cindersdad so sorry to hear this you will eventually stop the intense grieving and remember Cinders with love and hopefully rescue another little one needing a different part of your heart
Don’t please feel guilty Cats should be out in the fresh air not indoors all stuffed up

Primrose65 Sun 05-Nov-17 07:50:44

flowers

hildajenniJ Sun 05-Nov-17 10:28:48

I know the feeling well cindersdad. I still come over all emotional when I think about my cat Tinker. He was about 8 but we never knew his age as he strayed into our lives. He was missing for a couple of days and when he returned home he was trembling and foaming at the mouth. The Vet couldn't save him, so we had him put to sleep. My Grandad buried him in the garden. It was many years ago now, I was fourteen.

LadyGracie Sun 05-Nov-17 13:51:49

I’m having to take Bertie my 13 year old BSH cat to the vet tomorrow, he has arthritis in his spine and 3 legs, the painkillers he’s been on since he was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago are not helping. I’m dreading what the vet will say.
Losing a much loved family pet is heartbreaking, my rescue Persian had to be put to sleep a few years ago suffering from kidney failure. She’s buried in the garden in her favourite spot.

f77ms Sun 05-Nov-17 16:24:17

Losing a loved pet is heartbreaking , especially in the way you have lost Cinders by RTA . You were very attached to her and I fully understand because I feel very close to one of my beautiful pusscats , I love them all but Larry is special . I think you just have to let time heal but don`t try to rush it and don`t let anyone say that she was "just a cat" she was much more than that to you xx

Willow500 Sun 05-Nov-17 21:46:54

So very sorry you've suffered this awful loss - it's heartbreaking when we have to say goodbye to a pet but losing one in those circumstances is very traumatic. We had a dog many years ago who escaped and was run over on the main road behind our house - it was dreadfully upsetting and took us some time to come to terms with the guilt and what if's even though it was unfounded. We've had several cats since then and each has had a special place in our lives but none more so than my darling boy who died 7 years ago. Through a series of circumstances although we still had 2 at home and had vowed never to have any more we did end up bringing a feral home who has stolen my heart again. Try to be easy on yourself - you will miss Cinders dreadfully but it will get easier. You will never replace her but if and when you decide to give a home to another fur baby that one will also become special too.