Gransnet forums

Pets

To get a dog or not?

(39 Posts)
Orange123 Mon 05-Feb-18 19:13:23

Sorry if this is long, but I feel I should add my backstory.

I've never owned a pet. My mother wouldn't have it, and when I went out on my own, I always lived in rentals that didn't allow pets.

I bought my first real house 4 years ago and fenced in part of the back yard in anticipation of finally getting my first dog! I love dogs and feel very comfortable around them. But now I'm having 2nd thoughts because of comments made to me. Not in a mean way, at all. As a matter of fact, the comments come from loving responsible people who have owned dogs most of their lives. They have cautioned against getting a dog due to the length of time I am away.

Here is the issue. I am retired and am home most of the time. But I DO travel a couple times a year and might be gone up to to a month at a time.

I know of a pet-sitting service that employs people who will actually take your pet into their own home and live with their family and other pets. This seems ideal to me.

But, would that be cruel to the dog? Would they feel abandoned every time I left? And confused when I come back? The last thing I'd want is to harm a dog in that manner, especially since I intended to get an older rescue dog that probably has a lot of issues to begin with.

What do you think?

Oopsadaisy12 Thu 22-Feb-18 10:12:10

Have you checked that a dog rescue will allow you to have a dog if you are away so often? my DD recently adopted a puppy and the interviewer asked her this question. Personally, I wouldn’t think it fair to have a rescue dog bond with you and then have you disappear for weeks at a time, they often have enough issues as it is.
Not being mean here, but this time it’s all about the dog.

Nanawind Thu 22-Feb-18 10:20:58

I don't mean to be horrible but if you need to ask if you should get a dog then you are not ready. Taking on a dog is going to change your way of life, they need walks (time) feeding ( expense) house might not be tidy, garden might be a mess until they are trained but most importantly they are not left for long periods, so if you like holidays or need to go away a lot with work, it might not be the fair on him or her.

jura2 Fri 06-Jul-18 18:56:25

We are devastated so will share the tragic news. When we agreed to help out with short term fostering to help out the couple, we said VERY clearly it was short term only, and only as long as they were happy to have them back when we want to travel. We explained we were not in a position to adopt dogs, because our flat n UK stipulates we cannot have dogs there, and our SIL is not keen on dogs either, so our visits to GC came first. That was totally understood and clear, and reiterated each time we met, and agreed.

When he came to fetch them before our Crete holiday last month, he said they intended to travel for long periods of time, and that it was not convenient to have them back on regular basis. Huge shock.

We explained we could not adopt the male, although we adore him, because he is a barker, and not comfortable with strangers. He asked if we could have the mum, and we said we could, as she is so easy and does not bark, and could be carried off premises without fuss when at the UK flat for a few weeks at a time- but we did not think it would be fair to seperate them. They are mother and son, she 13 and he 11- and been together all their life.

When we were in Crete, we got message they had put to sleep (murdered) the male, so we could have the female to adopt permanenty on our return.

I cried and cried, and had sleepless nights, and even felt terribly guilty I somehow had caused his demise. Refused to meet him when he brought her, and will never ever speak to or meet them. They said they really would like to keep in touch and remain friends but sorry, I just could not...ever.

Poor Mems s grieving and confused, and has to sleep next to us or she weeps all night. She and Minou 3 legs have become very close friends though, so one bit of good news.

One sentence will always stick in my mind 'we so loved the dogs, but we have totally outgrown them'...

sodapop Fri 06-Jul-18 19:04:49

Jura what a terrible thing for them to say and feel. You must be upset but the responsibility lies with them and not you. Enjoy your pets and put the past behind you now.

jura2 Fri 06-Jul-18 21:30:27

I know, even worse, what a terrible deed. To be honest I cannot believe a vet agreed to do this?!?

I know I cannot possibly accept any guilt or responsibility, and still, we had got so attached to Zimba we had been fostering for 2 years. There is o way I could remain friends. We have been planning our next holidays in Europe where we can drive and take her with us. Tuscany in September, and Corsica and Corfu next year.

lemongrove Fri 06-Jul-18 21:36:04

What horrible people!
So the pet sharing isn’t a good idea, the poor old mother dog.?

Menopaws Fri 06-Jul-18 21:38:04

Get your dog, you will enjoy it by the sounds of it and find a really good pet carer for when you are away. When I'm away my dog rushes into the pet carers home without a backward glance so I know she is right and I am at peace then when I return he comes rushing out to me. Your life cannot be dictated by a dog but you also have to be at peace with his carer

jura2 Sat 07-Jul-18 15:25:52

lemongrove nd Menopaws, thank you for your kind words. So lucky we have a great neighbour, but for now we are planning trips where we can take her with us, by car. Tuscany in September and Corsica, Corfou next year, Croatia and Slovenia. As we live in Switzerland it is not too far.

lemongrove Sat 07-Jul-18 15:55:52

That’s good, a dog is part of the family, but to some just a disposable item to be got rid of ,once surplus to requirements! Quite shocking.A vet should certainly not have agreed to kill a healthy dog.

lemongrove Sat 07-Jul-18 16:18:17

Orange123 I wonder what you actually did in the end?
A dog is a big committment, but they are wonderful companions,

lemongrove Sat 07-Jul-18 16:18:37

Come back and tell us?

jura2 Sat 07-Jul-18 16:38:21

Yes, it would be nice to know.

Emma is settling down nicely, and her and Minou are great companions. She is 13 but looks like a puppy. When I told the vet in France when we went for her rabies jab and others to keep her EU passport up to date, he could not believe it.

jura2 Sat 07-Jul-18 16:39:15

She was born in Danemark, and has a Danish EU passport stamped in DK, France and Switzerland.