Gransnet forums

Pets

Cushings Disease in dogs.

(7 Posts)
Juliette Wed 21-Feb-18 15:43:48

Does anyone have any experience of this?
We took Reg. our eleven year Shnauzer to the vets yesterday for his medication review and mentioned that he had become quite lethargic (he’s usually very active) together with a voracious appetite led the vet to suspect it might be Cushings.
Would be greatful for any advice if the tests, which we haven’t had yet, come back positive.

Willow500 Wed 21-Feb-18 16:27:13

I've never heard of this in animals before but have googled it and found this information www.canismajor.com/dog/cushings.html

Hope he's ok.

Nanabilly Wed 21-Feb-18 16:34:55

My first mini dachshund had cushings disease and was put on some chemo type pills but sadly passed away 10 days later .he was 14 .
I think he suffered a lot in those 10 days of us trying to keep him alive and I really do wish that we had just let him go when vet said it was one of the choices we had. In hindsight that is easy to say but at the time I could not bear to lose him.

Hope your little dog gets better.

merlotgran Wed 21-Feb-18 17:18:36

My SisIL's cavalier King Charles spaniel had Cushings disease. It lost a lot of hair and looked a poor old thing despite medication. Sadly I don't think they survive for long after diagnosis.

Juliette Wed 21-Feb-18 19:04:57

Thanks for your replies.
I had googled but it seemed to be worse than the vet had led us to believe.....it would appear not.
Reg. actually belongs to DS, he’s just a long term lodger here. He (DS) has decided to have him tested and then make whatever decisions are necessary. Once again many thanks for your replies.

almonds Wed 21-Feb-18 20:59:29

Hi Juliette - our schnauzer had Cushings. Treated and lived well for 3 years. It's not cheap! Happy to answer any questions.

Juliette Mon 05-Mar-18 14:54:27

Quick update on Reg.
He wasn’t tested for Cushings in the end
The routine blood test that was done showed an infection not necessarily connected to Cushings. A course of antibiotics and another blood test showed that whatever the infection was has cleared up.
Advice is watch and wait,
It doesn’t make any difference to the outcome whether the diagnosis is made early or late.
Reg is now back to his (sometimes) annoying self, bit like having a toddler without the luxury of half an hours respite with CBeebies. wink