Gransnet forums

Pets

"Folks here's a story 'bout Minnie the moocher"

(13 Posts)
phoenix Tue 06-Mar-18 19:43:11

With apologies to Cab Calloway. www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ogK_unbqM

Well, after losing our darling Digby (aka Squeaky Fatarse) and seeing Oliver Sprout very morose and off his food,sad we decided to get another cat, even though Mr P said he would never have another one, as the pain of loss was too much.

Well, that didn't last long.

So, the new member of the family is Minnie, from Cat's Protection, of course.

She was named Tasha, but as she is such a tiny little thing, even though aged around 2, she has become Minnie.

She and OS get on like a house on fire, she is a real character (and a kleptomaniac!) There are already plenty of stories to tell about her, but I won't bore you now!

vampirequeen Tue 06-Mar-18 20:27:51

Is she a real life hoochy coocher grin

phoenix Tue 06-Mar-18 20:45:47

No, Vamp, although she did have a bit of a moment when we had only had her a weeksmile

I was woken up by miaowing in the early hours. Thought it might be Oliver Sprout, went down to check, but he was happily asleep on the sofa.

Went back to bed. Noise continued. Came back down, opened the front door expecting to find one of my neighbours cats, but no, it was Minnie shock

She had slipped out of the slightly open bedroom window, jumped on to the roof of the downstairs loo, then onto my neighbours van, and then away!

I was amazed and relieved that she found her way back.

Then the next day (despite the fact the we had been told the vet who checked her over thought she must have been spayed) she came gloriously, loudly and wantonly into season blush

merlotgran Tue 06-Mar-18 20:50:05

No wonder Oliver Sprout likes her grin

Jane10 Tue 06-Mar-18 20:54:33

We had a Minnie once but she was named after Spotty Minnie Bannister a Goon Show character. She ruled our massive Maine Coon with a rod of iron.
Good luck with your new Minnie.

Gerispringer Tue 06-Mar-18 21:00:55

Our cat Minnie came from Battersea dogs home and we named her Minnie after Minnie Mouse. She is hopeless at catching mice or anything else. She is the worlds laziest cat.

phoenix Tue 06-Mar-18 21:09:17

Merlot while she was disporting herself like a wanton hussy (rolling on her back in a sort of "take me now" posture") Oliver Sprout did try to oblige blush

Mr P, being of a sensitive disposition, had to leave the room.

Alima Tue 06-Mar-18 21:10:25

Lovely Phoenix, I am sure you will all be very happy together. ( Been there, done that, the highs the lows,the grief the “never again”, the inevitable arrival which in no way will detract from what a wonderful cat Digby was). Welcom Minnie, expecting to hear lots more about you and your new bestie Oliver Sprout.

Auntieflo Wed 07-Mar-18 14:18:00

Phoenix I am so pleased that you have another cat. I look forward, with great anticipation to the stories to come. We once had a beautiful ginger cat, called Sam. Of course, all ginger cats are 'toms' , or so we believed. Anyway, we hadn't had him long before he started making the most peculiar noises. We thought he was in dreadful pain and carted him off to the vet, ASAP, where we were enlightened to his gender. He became she, but kept her name, after the snip.

shysal Wed 07-Mar-18 15:19:42

Congratulations on the new furry friend. I assume Oliver Sprout has had the snip, you might not welcome a litter of kittens! Can you please manage to post a photo of Minnie for us? You have years more fun ahead, I am so happy for you! I look forward to the tales to come. It's the way you tell 'em!

Jalima1108 Wed 07-Mar-18 15:42:09

Welcome to Minnie (the Minx by the sounds of it!)

Willow500 Wed 07-Mar-18 16:20:09

Oh looking forward to seeing Minnie - so pleased you've given a forever home to one in care. It's amazing how they manage to get out!!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 09-Mar-18 16:43:20

If both parents had the orange gene the result may well be a ginger female cat. If only one had it, you only get tom kittens in the litter!

Everyone told me I had made a mistake when I insisted the Freia was female, as she was ginger and very large.

Suprisingly they shut up pdq when she produced six kittens, three ginger like her, but male and three stripey grey like their dad, whose name was Samson. I threatened to call Freia Delilah after that !

Have fun Phoenix and Oscar. Our neutered toms are quite popular with the queenie cats around here, so they must be able to do something right! I have certainly seen the one washing himself rather longer than cleanliness necessitated!