Gransnet forums

Pets

Washing pet bedding - tips please!

(13 Posts)
HootyMcOwlface Tue 22-May-18 10:59:16

Has anyone any good tips on washing hairy pet bedding? My washing machine gets coated with hair and it is revolting! Also the bedding still comes out hairy! What do you do?

Alima Tue 22-May-18 11:24:09

I run the GTech hand held thingy over the bedding if there’s someone around to hold the other end of the blanket. Otherwise wipe the pet hair off with a rubber glove. Works a treat.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 22-May-18 11:25:21

Oh yes a rubber glove, I never thought of that! Thanks!

shysal Tue 22-May-18 14:29:22

I have one of this type of lint brush to remove the pet hair before washing the bedding.
Magic lint brush

Willow10 Sat 02-Mar-19 11:39:28

This is very late, but I've only just seen the post. I bought a laundry bag online which is specifically designed to was pet bedding. It's bright orange, about the size of a pillowcase with a zip closure. It keeps all the pet hair in the bag and out of the machine. The hair goes into clumps so is easy to remove. It would have been from either eb*y or Am*z*n.

Willow10 Sat 02-Mar-19 11:40:21

To wash!

Charleygirl5 Sat 02-Mar-19 12:25:05

Ebay is advertising cheaper sachets which apparently dissolve the hairs and other "bits" on the bedding. It has come at the right time for me because soon a cardigan could be knitted with the number of cat hairs on Tata's duvet cover.

Have a look at the other also- but the stuff there is more expensive. It is not as though, certainly me, is washing the bedding regularly. I am trying to organise so that the order comes tomorrow or Tuesday.

sodapop Sat 02-Mar-19 12:43:56

It is a problem, I have a lot of pet bedding to wash. I try to do it all in one day then my husband vacuums out the machine and it has an auto clean programme which I use with laundry disinfectant. I think my life would be a lot easier without my pets
( just whisper that in case they hear ).

RosieLeah Sat 02-Mar-19 13:13:49

Wrap sellotape around your hand with the sticky side out, then rub it over the blanket. Takes a little while but it's effective in removing pet hair...works on carpet too.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 04-Mar-19 12:26:03

I brush the bedding with the cat's rubber brush before washing it.

Failing that, a disposable pot scourer of the sponge kind is marvellous for removing hair, not only from the animal's bedding but from the carpets as well.

Nanabilly Mon 04-Mar-19 14:11:32

I read cleaning groups posts on Facebook and they highly recommend some product that dissolves pet hair in the washing machine .. It may be the same ones mentioned earlier in this post from ebay.

Dontaskme Mon 04-Mar-19 14:58:03

I have used the "magic" stuff that is supposed to dissolve pet hair in the machine - it absolutely does NOT!!! Not cheap and a complete waste of money. Purchased a whole box of sachets so not a one-off trial. Complete rubbish.
I throw my pet bedding in the machine then when its done wipe the drum and door with some fabric conditioner before putting it on a short wash (empty). Then I clean the filter. I do mine once every couple of weeks and so my fault very hairy. My friend does hers every other day, but then she is the Queen of clean smile

LadyGracie Mon 04-Mar-19 16:39:22

I remove as much hair as possible then tie the pet bedding in an old single duvet cover, kept specifically for this pupose.