Gransnet forums

Pets

Neighbour’s dog-advice needed

(48 Posts)
Katek Tue 17-Jul-18 09:52:10

I’m not sure if this necessarily belongs on pets but hoping for some suggestions.

The house two doors away from us has been rented for many years but has recently been put up for sale. It would appear, however, that there is someone renting until it sells as a couple moved in a month ago but estate agent’s sale board is still up.

They have a dog, don’t know what kind of dog as we’ve never seen it, only heard it. It alternately howls and cries in the garden for prolonged periods as they seem to leave it outside when they’re out. This can be for several hours. The dog is obviously distressed at being left and it’s quite upsetting to hear it crying. I was worried about it’s welfare so contacted the local dog warden who said if it was a noise issue then it wasn’t in their remit. It’s not the noise that’s bothering me so much as the distress the dog must be in to cry like that. I don’t know if it’s a welfare issue as we haven’t seen the animal.

What to do? Don’t want to start a neighbourhood fight but dog is definitely upset. Don’t want to overreact either but you hear so much about neglected/abused animals.

MissAdventure Tue 17-Jul-18 09:56:00

You could phone the RSPCA.
They would (hopefully) come and check out the dogs living conditions, and it would be confidential, so no worries about falling out with the dogs owner.

Nannarose Tue 17-Jul-18 10:00:34

Yes, dog wardens tend to have a very specific remit. I am somewhat surprised that they didn't suggest the RSPCA; however, as their coverage is patchy, the warden's office may not have wished to recommend them.
I would try the RSPCA, or dial 101 (police non-emergency - they are used to dealing with animal calls!) and when you describe the situation, emphasis the dog's distress, rather than the noise.

MeltingMacaron Tue 17-Jul-18 10:13:46

I disagree with your local dog warden's assessment of his responsibilites. These include the promotion of responsible dog ownership and educating people about their role and legal responsibilities under the Animal Welfare Act as pet owners.

The dog is howling and crying for a reason. It could be stress at being left alone but he could also be hungry (and worse in this weather) dangerously thirsty. Is there any way that you can get round into the garden to see if he has water and some shade?

merlotgran Tue 17-Jul-18 10:16:44

Maybe you could put a friendly note through the door? They may not be aware that the dog is howling all day as it obviously stops as soon as they get home.

FlexibleFriend Tue 17-Jul-18 10:17:25

You could call the RSPCA but as long as the dog has water and shelter they won't do anything.

Katek Tue 17-Jul-18 12:15:43

Thanks for input. Unfortunately I can’t see into the garden without invading someone else’s garden or climbing a banking at the back. Will see if DH might try that.

I’m also going to call RSPCA and ask for advice.

rubytut Tue 17-Jul-18 12:49:57

When I moved into my present house there was a dog that yapped for hours. I spoke to neighbours and was told it had been doing it for years and just to keep doors and windows closed. I approached the people with the dog saying what the other neighbours had said and that I was not prepared to shut the doors and windows, the dog owner was surprised and said nobody else had complained, he was apologetic and from that day the dog has not been left outside when they are out. Sometimes people are unaware that the dog barks for so long or have become immune to the noise. Worth a friendly word or note through the door.

MeltingMacaron Tue 17-Jul-18 13:08:56

Absolutely, rubytut.

I had lovely new neighbours move across the road. Their two little dogs were quiet when people were at home (which was most of the time) but yapped constantly when left alone. I couldn't hear them in my house but could if in the front garden. I mentioned it to a doggy friend who suggested they might be stressed by the move and new and unfamiliar surroundings.

So that's how I approached it. Concern for the dogs' welfare as opposed to noise nuisance. My neighbours had no idea that their dogs were doing this and took steps to fix it. Leaving Radio 4 on seemed to do the trick.

The dogs were old and both have since died replaced by puppies of the same breed which are quiet so I think my doggy friend's diagnosis was right.

BlueBelle Tue 17-Jul-18 13:53:10

Sorry to burst your bubble MissAdventure but the RSPCA won’t do a thing I called them out to a dog in a neighbours yard that wasn’t crying but seemed to be out there all day every day with no food water or shelter I rang RSPCA and they said as long as a dog is taken in at least once during a 24 hour period they do nothing

Squiffy Tue 17-Jul-18 13:54:41

I agree with Merlot and tut that the owners may be unaware. We had a similar issue with a dog barking, howling, wimpering for three hours at a time when the owners were at work or out for part of the day. It upset me so much to hear a dog in such distress that I phoned the owner at work!

Sure enough, they had absolutely no idea that the dog was barking for so long. I hasten to add that they were very caring and responsible owners! They arranged their day so that the dog wasn’t left for so long at a stretch.

MissAdventure Tue 17-Jul-18 13:56:06

Well, I had a not very positive experience with the RSPCA, but they look so helpful on tv that I was hoping they would be more helpful these days.

BlueBelle Tue 17-Jul-18 14:05:15

I ve also twice felt let down by RSPCA I live opp a five storey town house converted to flats its across two gardens mine and there’s which is much longer and a roadway between one day as I looked out the window someone on the top floor put a cat out on the window ledge I rang RSPCA and had to answer a check list of questions Does it look distressed .... it’s on a tiny ledge five floors up for heavens sake Does it look underfed how do I know I m too far away Is it crying ? I can’t hear I m in my house well we can’t send people out over every little thing ...... I never knew how it ended as next time I looked the ledge was empty I don’t know if it fell or was let back in
Another time an injured swan begged them to take its mate as well to keep them together but no they didn’t or couldn’t took one left the other So no not impressed

Rosina Tue 17-Jul-18 14:34:34

I had a different experience with the RSPCA . I rang them because when visiting a friend one filthy night - it was cold and pelting down with rain - I heard a dog howling. Friend informed me that it was next door's dog, that they left it out all the time and that it was tied to the fence and had no shelter or bedding. I could not believe that my so called friend had listened to this for months and done nothing, and I rang the RSPCA when I got home. Evidently they called the next morning, had a 'discussion' with the owner, and she signed the dog over to them.

Aepgirl Tue 17-Jul-18 14:35:44

We've a similar case nearby with a clearly distressed dog shut in the garden during a thunderstorm. As far as the RSPCA was concerned as long as the dog is safe and well-fed there was nothing they could do. I stopped donating to them several years ago as I don't understand what their remit is any more.

breeze Tue 17-Jul-18 14:35:55

RSPCA don't provide the services they used to. They will only get involved in serious abuse cases now. If the dog is healthy but just kept outside you have two choices I suppose. If it's being a nuisance, keep records and contact the council as a noise nuisance complaint. If you are worried about the dog, put a note through the door saying something along the lines of 'This isn't a complaint. Just wondered if you knew your dog is really upset when you go out and howls and cries. Just worried about it and wanted to let you know'. As others have wisely said, they may not be aware if the dog is well adjusted when they're in. They possibly won't know it's suffering anxiety when they go out. And could be leaving it out because it's so hot. I would be more concerned if it were freezing conditions.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 17-Jul-18 14:37:54

My local dog warden who is employed by the local council, say no more??, didn't want to know when I reported a 'large' dog, won't mention the breed, was left to wander the neighbour hood when its owners were out. Children were terrified of it. These people had left it, supposedly tied, up in their garden but it managed to find its way out.
RSPCA came out immediately and I support them as they do a wonderful job.

edsnana Tue 17-Jul-18 14:56:37

We had a similar problem a few years ago, after a couple of weeks I went round and said how worried I was that the dog was in distress. They couldn't have been nicer, of course they were out at work all day so had no idea what was going on. I didn't even mention how the noise was driving me crazy! and it stopped immediately

ExaltedWombat Tue 17-Jul-18 14:56:55

RSPCA is a peculiar organisation. They have a national and regional structure, then local branches. "RSPCA branches operate locally across England and Wales. Branches are separately registered charities operating at a local level and are run by volunteers." Branch officials are sometimes surprised to discover just how much personal liability they have for the branch's actions.
A rather over-zealous, litigation-happy national manager has been replaced. Response to individual local cases can be unpredictable.

mgtanne71 Tue 17-Jul-18 15:15:46

Any local kennels providing day care?

CardiffJaguar Tue 17-Jul-18 15:23:47

Your local council has someone whose responsibility is to deal with complaints about noise. This may be another avenue for you to try.

JoyKF53 Tue 17-Jul-18 15:42:01

R.S.P.C.A. are the ones to call. They'll check it out.

Maccyt1955 Tue 17-Jul-18 15:46:21

I admire all you tactful and kind people. I am afraid I was less so; when after two years of being subjected to two dogs in the same garden, barking from 11pm at night, and having to get up early to be on duty as a nurse, I felt so desperate and angry, I took matters into my own hands.

Putting on a dressing gown and slippers I walked along the street until I located the exact house where the noise was coming from. I was so exasperated after two years of broken nights, I banged loudly on the door until someone answered it. I let rip. Their explanation....”we put them in the garden at night to keep the foxes away from our chickens”! Some people’s selfishness knows no bounds. And no noise since.

glammanana Tue 17-Jul-18 15:57:23

I had a fall out with RSPCA a few years ago when a rather wet and tired small dog was found wandering in a Street nearby,we could not take him in at the time because our own dog was feeding pups and it would have upset her badly so we took him to the local RSPCA shelter near our home ,the gates where locked and a notice on the gate said "No Stray Dogs or Cats " will be admitted here.
We ended up taking him to my friends house and he stayed for 2 days before being fostered by an older gentleman who ended up keeping him until he died (the dog not the gentleman)
After that I cancelled my subscription with RSPCA and now support my Local Authority Dog Pound.

BlueBelle Tue 17-Jul-18 16:10:53

Read the previous posts JoyKF ...they won’t