Gransnet forums

Pets

Romanian rescue dogs

(41 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 22-Jul-18 13:42:33

This must be a new thing, but people are adopting rescue dogs from Romania. They have already been brought into this country and there are several websites advertising these dogs. Has anyone been through this process? I thought we have enough dogs in our own rescue kennels. Why are they being brought here? Just curious!

Telly Tue 24-Jul-18 12:12:51

The public shelters in Romania are not always good places for dogs. If locals can only find better homes for them abroad then I personally admire their grit and determination to find a better life for them. Of course what really needs to happen are better animal protection laws and standards. As Romania is now in the EU it should happen as a matter of course, that is when there will be more sustained protection. Until then, one starfish at a time.........

Alexa Tue 24-Jul-18 15:23:03

To answer Mrs Mopp's original question, my gueds is that the Romanian dogs are being brought here for adoption is that these particularly pretty , young, and intelligent dogs that are sourced in Romania are easy to find homes for. Rescue kennels in this country can find homes for that sort of dog, whereas staffies and plain -looking mongrels are hard to find homes for.

BlueBelle Tue 24-Jul-18 15:28:42

The dogs from abroad are not puppies they are picked off the streets to save their suffering they are not looked after and often abandoned Some are even expats just leaving their dogs behind
Puppy farming is a whole different subject and don’t get me going on these ridiculous designer dogs it makes my blood boil

BlueBelle Tue 24-Jul-18 15:30:54

Alexa they are certainly not all pretty dogs (well beauty is in th3 eyes of the beholder) but my friend s dog is a very ordinary terrier type mongrel, but beautiful to her I have looked through the pages and they are not little cuties for sure

Alexa Tue 24-Jul-18 15:46:26

Well I could be wrong BlueBelle. All I have to form my opinion about the prettiness of Romanian dogs is that there is a rescue near me and I look at its website very often . They seem to take in and rehome many Romanian dogs , and all of them are sorts I am partial to that's to say collie type mongrels.

watermeadow Sun 29-Jul-18 19:08:38

My daughter adopted a puppy from Cyprus last year. He’s a hunting hound and quite unsuited to be a pet, untrainable and can’t ever be let off-lead.
I recently bought my puppy from a breeder because it could have taken a year to find a rescue of the breed I wanted.
All our circumstances are different and we each decide what is best for us. I’ve had a rescue who came with serious problems and one who was perfect.

MissAdventure Sun 29-Jul-18 20:01:35

My opinion is that dogs are now sometimes treated as the latest 'must have' accessory.
I know of lots of dogs who spend their lives shut away in kitchens because they 'jump up' when they occasionally get some attention.

OldMeg Sun 29-Jul-18 22:05:53

That’s nothing new MissA ?

PECS Sun 29-Jul-18 22:38:10

A bigger problem , she says with little or no knowledge at all and speaking as a non dog owner, is the designer dog industry. Pugs have become popular and so many will be bred but presumably they will be replaced with another fashion dog that will be overproduced. I have read that there are unscrupulous puppy farmers in UK and that many dogs die or arrive at new homes very sick.

My cousin brought two dogs to UK from Cyprus when they returned to UK..I gather they were strays and another cousin has a Romanian rescue dog. They are all nice dogs but as others have said we also need to address our own excess of unloved dogs .

OldMeg Sun 29-Jul-18 22:57:19

French Bulldogs are currently the most popular ‘must have’ dog. And yes PECS there are unscrupulous breeders and puppy farmers in this country selling underage and sickly pups.

Often family pets are stolen to act as breed bitches and sires and kept in awful conditions, breeding one litter after another until worn out and discarded. One of our rescue dogs was used like this, poor soul.

PECS Sun 29-Jul-18 23:07:18

Oh dear! How sad. I do like dogs but I know I could never have one as a pet.

OldMeg Mon 30-Jul-18 07:20:18

I’d like to see only licensed breeders in this country. Premises to be regularly inspected by reputable bodies and given a * rating 2-5 and their licence displayed for all perspective buyers to see.

Bitchec limited to no more than 1 litter a year and puppies kept till 12 weeks with their mother and sold only with a Vet’s certificates of vaccination and health check.

Oh! And all pet dogs castrated or spayed.

Iam64 Mon 30-Jul-18 07:51:51

Breeding kennels should be subject to tighter rules as OldMeg suggests. Id include so called "hobby" or home breeders in the inspection regime. Bitches should not be bred before the age of 2 1/2, and only two litters for each bitch before they retire from their employment.
Reputable breeders follow this kind of regime and all will provide vet certificates to confirm the parent dogs have been health checked for any possible health problems in that breed. They also provide certificates that the pups have been vet checked and had their first lot of injections.

Whichever breed is particularly popular is always overbred, health problems can become endemic because health checks on parent dogs aren't done. Bitches are bred from their first season and become weak because they live in cages, with no exercise, affection or exposure to ordinary life. Pups are removed far too young, separated and shipped out to be sold. You'll often see pups for sale on web sites, with the message it's the last pup of a litter. Prospective buyers arrive to see the pup to be told its mother can't be seen just then because eg. it's doing a pat visit to a family member who had a stroke, or some other equally emotional nonsense. Sorry for ranting but I have only lived 5 years of my life without dogs and this is a subject close to my heart.
I may as well go whole hog and say I dislike the way some people rescue dogs from abroad. I know a number of hunting type dogs who were rescued from southern or Eastern Europe. They'd been street dogs, never lived in houses and foraged for food, including killing small animals, birds etc. This behaviour is very difficult to stop once established. Being domesticated can prove stressful for these dogs who are unhappy being confined, can't be let off lead because of their hunting behaviour and tendency to just run and run.

PECS Mon 30-Jul-18 08:04:28

Sad to hear all this. There needs to be far greater publicity about these dreadful conditions. I fear that there are few resources to follow up concerns or complaints when 'bad" breeders or puppy farms are suspected.

GillT57 Wed 01-Aug-18 16:41:48

Puppy farming is caused by one thing only; buyers. If people didn't only want a specific type of dog, didn't rush to get the latest fashion dog like pugs, french bulldogs, then there would not be the puppy farming. It makes my blood boil.