Gransnet forums

Pets

Strange behaviour

(31 Posts)
sodapop Wed 25-Jul-18 08:54:31

A week or so ago one of our three dogs started to act strangely. He was pacing constantly, very agitated with increased respiration and heart rate. The other two dogs were fine.
After several trips to the vet with blood tests, examinations and ultra sound ( expensive )
the vets concurred there was no physical problem but that something had badly scared him. At the same time our neighbour's cat who has been coming in and out of our house for years and who we feed will not now come near us or the house. Our other two dogs and our own cat remain unaffected. Any explanations please?

Rufus2 Fri 27-Jul-18 10:54:53

Reputedly, they're not aggressive either, but they have been known to attack when threatened
Good Evening Willa 45; from OZ; Don't know if you've spotted my posting of yesterday re: Grizzlies/ pepper spray, but your post dragged it out of the depths of my memory.
I've tried to download a URL on the topic, but something's not worked. I assume you know this article and I'd be grateful if you check it out for me please.?

We don't get bears here, only very poisonous snakes, bu there again, they usually only attack if you inadvertently sit on one. Then it's probably too late to say "once bitten, twice shy" grin
Thank you!
OoRoo

willa45 Fri 27-Jul-18 14:30:30

Rufus2, Yes, I saw your post, but alas the link didn't work! I'm not familiar with the article you're referring to, but would have liked to read it. Perhaps you could find a better link and repost?

BTW....Grizzlies (Brown bear family) are not the same as Black bears because a they are way bigger and much more dangerous. They are found in places like the extreme North or Pacific NorthWestern US.

A (Kodiak) grizzly bear is the largest, most aggressive and formidable of all bears. Compared to the average adult, 250 lb. Black bear, an adult, male Grizzly can weigh up to 1500 lbs., and measure over 5 feet to shoulder on all fours. Grizzlies can also stand up and walk upright (10 ft tall) for short intervals, particularly when they are in 'attack' mode!

Alexa Fri 27-Jul-18 14:55:37

Maybe it was heat stroke .

Rufus2 Sat 28-Jul-18 07:03:26

Perhaps you could find a better link and repost?
Willa45; Sorry about that! The link in my original post is correct so far as I can tell.
Try this; it's just worked for me after some trial and error, mainly error, so fingers crossed;
1.Highlight the link as is, in my post.
2.Right click and in the drop-down panel select the
Google offer.
3.This takes you to a list of 7 website URLs with the first one being what you want. Open that! Bingo!
Hopefully! smile
Good Luck. Please let me know if it crashes again and we'll go to Plan C(?), or whatever!
Cheers

Rufus2 Mon 30-Jul-18 06:00:00

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise

We also advise anyone using the out-f-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear shit has bells in it and smells like pepper grin

No! Not in Australia, fortunately. Has to be Canada.
OoRoo