Gransnet forums

Pets

Help to find someone to care for my dog......please!

(12 Posts)
DanniRae Fri 28-Sep-18 11:41:16

All my family are going abroad to my son's wedding and I need to get my darling dog cared for. We have never needed to do this before because one of my adult children always cares for her when we go away.
Can any one give me some help and advice about this?
Thank you!

gmelon Fri 28-Sep-18 11:48:53

Where do you live? What type of dog? Temperament?
Maybe a gransnetter fancies a bit of company.

HildaW Fri 28-Sep-18 12:30:20

Google local dog sitting agencies. There is a National one we've used ...'Holidays for dogs'....they will pair you up with a like minded person in your area willing to have your dog as guest. You get to meet the person before hand (and they meet your dog). Its then up to you to choose. (some candidates seem ok on paper but when you meet them you just feel it wont work) There is another national agency that works on a different scheme...they basically come and take your dog away and place it with someone they choose....we did not fancy that idea!

Telly Fri 28-Sep-18 14:58:03

Our dog used to go to dog boarding, a lady took dogs into her own home. This is great if your dog is sociable. I found her through the vets who had a folder. There are other local people who do this, some will have one dog at a time. Our village has a Facebook page and I would go there first. There are also dog sitters who come and stay at your house, so it gets looked after too. I would Google your area and see what comes up. I would not put my dog into kennels.

Menopaws Fri 28-Sep-18 15:04:14

Would recommend Animal Aunts, google it. They have been going for a long time, I have used them and high standards. Depends where you live.

Patsy70 Mon 29-Oct-18 18:06:16

DannieRae: I'm just flicking through some old threads and came across yours. Did you find a dog sitter? I'd be interested to hear, as we could be in the same position.

Iam64 Tue 30-Oct-18 15:16:53

There’s an organisation called trusted housesitters that several friends use and like. You pay a set annual fee of under £100, as do prospective house sitters. My dogs either stay with our dog trainer, or go into kennels. Much as I’d like to leave them at home I’d rather know they’re safe and well cared for

DanniRae Tue 30-Oct-18 15:47:41

Hi Patsy - Yes I did find someone to care for my beloved dog. My husband asked around when he was walking her in the park. The first person who was recommended was totally unsuitable - we thought she was a bit crazy! Then we were given someone else's details, we visited her and she (and her husband) were lovely so the dog is booked in there. So my advice is ask around - dog people are very helpful.

MawBroon Tue 30-Oct-18 18:42:36

I would have asked at my local vet’s for local kennels and dog sitters. It has never been a problem fir me or Hattie.

Melanieeastanglia Tue 30-Oct-18 20:17:15

If you don't fancy sending your dog to the kennels, how about paying for someone to stay in your house and look after him or her?

I knew someone who did this and found it very successful.

I hope you enjoy the wedding, free from worry about your dog.

Patsy70 Wed 31-Oct-18 17:26:09

So pleased that you found someone suitable, DanniRae. Now you can relax and look forward to the wedding. Have a lovely time.

BlueBelle Wed 31-Oct-18 18:35:45

Keep up Melanie???