Gransnet forums

Pets

Chaos with Dogs

(7 Posts)
Diana54 Sat 29-Sep-18 07:15:19

It was a lovely day and DD and family decide to go to the local show', hubby tagged along and they have a new puppy so someone suggested they take it along to socialize it. She put wrist bands with mobile number on each of the kids, 13, 10, 7, and 3, what could possibly go wrong.

They were having a wonderful day until around 3pm when the puppy was bitten on the nose by another dog, blood everywhere everyone panicing and screaming, they settled that down quickly then horror of horrors " where's Amanda" the 3 yr old, gone.

More panic and send Hubby, the 13yo and 10yo to find her, there were crowds everywhere no result, then a phone call Amanda had wandered into a show stand and was safe, but had to stay put until hubby returned, eventually he was dispatched to collect her.

Sally the 10 yr old had not returned, no search this time after 15 mins she had asked a woman to phone mum reunited, they decided home was the best option. However much you are a good careful parent a distraction can undo all your planning.

Has anyone else any stories involving chaos, kids and animals

Willow500 Sat 29-Sep-18 07:29:27

Thank goodness they were all safe and the puppy is ok - great idea with the wristbands. Taking animals and kids out together often ends up in chaos although just being at home can do too. 2 Christmases ago my son and family travelled up on Christmas day for lunch - they live 2 hours away so brought the dog which involved me putting our two cats away - one in the bedroom the other in the conservatory. She's a big, bouncy lab and we love her as she's so daft but after lunch I turned round and tripped over her, fell my full length on the newly tiled kitchen floor, hit my head on the open door and smashed the dish I was holding cutting my finger which wouldn't stop bleeding as I'm on blood thinners. Head came up like a balloon so much against my wishes husband took me off to A&E 10 miles away leaving the poor family to clear up the mess and sit and wait for our return. Gave up waiting to see a doctor and eventually went home to give them pudding 5 hours late! I had to go back to casualty the next day with the bleeding and was told off for not calling an ambulance with a head injury!

We've had many animal chaos related incidents over the years but think that one was the worst!

travelsafar Sat 29-Sep-18 07:37:13

Oh my goodness, you couldn't make that up!!!!!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 01-Oct-18 16:35:29

I was at the vet's with two cats to be vaccinated, when a poor young father came in, carrying a baby in a kangaroo sling, holding a four year old by the hand and with a bleeding dog (literally, neither he nor I were cursing) on the lead.

Dog had been hurt, while he was alone at home with two kids, so no option but to bundle them all into the car and drive to the animal hospital.

When the vet called me in, I suggested she should treat the dog first, as my cats were quite content in their basket
fortunately the dog's paw only needed a couple of stitches, so it all ended well.

MiniMoon Mon 01-Oct-18 16:55:23

DH and I were both out at work. Teenagers left at home (summer holidays) to look after the dog, a parson Russell terrier. This dog was a supreme escapologist and managed to jump over the wall into the field at the back of our house. She was away for some time, and when she returned she was limping and bleeding from a wound on her side. The teenagers took the dog to the vet who surmised that she had been in a fight with a badger as the wounds in her side were made by claws.
Fortunately there were no other injuries, the dog had a prescription for antibiotics.
The teenagers kept a much closer eye on the dog thereafter.

Louise0479 Tue 13-Nov-18 19:47:54

Oh my word. Dogs are such a worry. We often look after my Son's dogs and on one occasion when we were staying one of them escaped! we searched the village for hours before finding her in a neighbours garden. That sounds like it was quite a tame story but she was actually in their chicken coop and had, i'm very sad to say killed one of their beloved chickens.

Nata Thu 15-Nov-18 13:23:52

Indeed, such a worry dogs are hmm
I might be getting too old but I'd rather not have any pets...