Gransnet forums

Pets

Waiting for the vet

(24 Posts)
millymouge Tue 20-Nov-18 08:36:53

I know it's silly and over the years DH and I have had so many dear dogs it to sleep but it doesn't get any easier. OUr little rescue greyhound who is nearly 15 will leave us this morning. Her back legs are going and she has bladder cancer.We are playing things very quietly but the other dog knows something is up. I have some medication from the vet to,make her sleepy so she won't worry and will slip peacefully away with an injection.Shall be glad when today is over.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Nov-18 08:40:28

Sorry to hear that Milly it’s always so hard but if only humans could leave the world so easily when the time was up I remember my last cat was asleep almost as soon as the needle was in I stroked and she was gone in a blink

Drwatfam Tue 20-Nov-18 08:44:12

Dear Friend, I feel so sad for you today. Losing your beautiful friend of so many years is such a sorrow . I love my dogs too and have been where you are now . We know we are doing our best for them but the pain is overwhelming. You will always remember this day. Sending you my love , both to you and your lovely dog . Xxxxx

MawBroon Tue 20-Nov-18 08:55:57

Losing our beloved Gracie last year, I really feel for you.
The waiting and ultimate decision were the worst thing and the end, when it came in her own bed as I held her close, stroked her head and ears and kissed her head was incredibly peaceful
To fall asleep in the arms of the person you love and trust most in all the world is a privilege not granted to many of us.
Run free, sweet hound, your race is run ?

sodapop Tue 20-Nov-18 08:58:53

I'm so sorry millymouge you are doing what is best but it is so hard I know.
Maw has said it all really.

Sparklefizz Tue 20-Nov-18 08:59:20

So sorry to hear this millymouge - it's always so hard .... know exactly how you feel. Our much-loved pets are members of our family.

Sending love to both you and your precious little rescue dog. flowers xx

Willow500 Tue 20-Nov-18 08:59:26

I'm so sorry - it's one of the hardest things to do but also the last kindest act for the pets we love. We have been through it so often and it never gets any easier flowers

Brunette10 Tue 20-Nov-18 09:02:08

millymouge, I do feel for you, it's not an easy thing to do but it's the best for your dog so you are doing the right thing. It is a day you will never forget but also your memories with your time withyour little rescue greyhound will be with you forever.

Lynne59 Tue 20-Nov-18 09:21:47

Sorry to hear about your lovely dog. You are doing the kindest thing in letting her go.

I have had cats for 38 years, so have been in a similar situation. Mt Stella was 18 when we had her PTS in April.

Best wishes x

kittylester Tue 20-Nov-18 09:27:16

How sad. I really feel for you - it doesn't get any easier does it? flowers

MiniMoon Tue 20-Nov-18 10:05:38

I know exactly how you are feeling, and it's horrible. I had my last little terrier "put to sleep" last Christmas. The only appointment I could make was at 5:30 pm, so I had all day to wait and wonder if I was doing the right thing.
The vet was very kind though, and assured me that it was time to let her go. She went to sleep in my arms.
Today will be difficult for you, but it's the kind thing to do. ?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Nov-18 10:10:47

Sending you love and hugs ?

humptydumpty Tue 20-Nov-18 10:40:18

Sending you every hug I can. You know you are doing the right thing, but it hurts so much.

(I know this sounds ridiculous, but I'm taking our beloved remaining guinea pig - an old lady at nearly 8 - to the vet this evening, I have been putting it off as I am dreading bad news, but I have to stop being selfish and get a grip - and pray that it's not as serious as I fear)

GrannyIris5 Tue 20-Nov-18 10:45:40

Oh you poor love. We lost our standard poodle at 9 to bladder cancer, she was PTS on the operating table so couldn’t say goodbye. As long as you’ve given your dog a good life you have nothing to feel bad about. It’ll take a while to get over they are such a huge part of our lives. Be thinking of you x

EllanVannin Tue 20-Nov-18 11:17:40

This is the worst part of owning a pet, having to eventually let it go and saying goodbye to a pal.
It took me ages to get over the loss of my GSD the most loving gentle animal that I could have wished for. He was 12 and had kidney failure,a very sick dog. The vet at the time had told me that he never liked that part of his job at all.
My thoughts are with you.x

millymouge Tue 20-Nov-18 12:06:33

It's done, all very peaceful thank goodness. Thank you all for your kind messages. We shall miss her dreadfully.

MawBroon Tue 20-Nov-18 12:07:42

???

ginny Tue 20-Nov-18 12:19:07

Feel for you Millymouge. We had to do the same for our 16 year old lab a few weeks ago. Her brother is still with us but dreading when his time comes.
It does leave a big gap in your life but I’m sure she has had a lovely life with you . ?

Squiffy Tue 20-Nov-18 12:31:37

So sorry to read your posts Milly. Such a heartbreaking decision, but the right one. flowers

Anja Tue 20-Nov-18 13:12:51

millymouge it’s the hard part of having animals. But we owe it to them to give them the best life we can and the easiest death when that time has come. It’s not easy for you I know but you are doing the best by your lovely old girl ??

Daddima Tue 20-Nov-18 13:16:38

We had to do it a couple of years ago, and having it done at home was reasonably civilised. I couldn’t have walked out of the vet’s without him.
The ashes are still here, to be sneaked into the box with whichever one of us goes first!

grandtanteJE65 Wed 21-Nov-18 13:57:26

My deepest sympathy. We lost a much loved cat this summer. I hope your other dog doesn't miss her too much and can console you.

You have done the right thing, but yes, I too find it gets harder the older we get. Am seriously considering not getting another pet, when our surviving cat goes.

newnanny Wed 21-Nov-18 14:19:38

So sorry your dog is so sick. We lost our beloved cat Stripey in April and we still miss him. I thought of him on fireworks night and thought no fireworks can frighten him anymore. You are being kind to your dog and really it is the last kindness you can do for him. Much better than seeing him suffer on every day. Think of it this way you will feel pain but you dear dog will be released from pain.

mumofmadboys Wed 21-Nov-18 16:42:53

My sympathies millymouge. Our dog is 15 and our cat is 18 and they are both beginning to fail.