Gransnet forums

Pets

Introducing new dog.

(9 Posts)
onaclearday Sun 16-Dec-18 12:05:03

I have recently acquired an 8 year old labrador from a family member. She is very docile and lovely to be around. The problem I have is that I have been invited to stay with my dgd, husband and two adorable dggc for Christmas (including dog) but they have a JRT (female) who is not particularly friendly toward other dogs. As we will be on her territory it could be an anxious time. We plan to meet tomorrow in the park to introduce them on neutral ground. Any advice please?

Telly Sun 16-Dec-18 13:26:14

Excellent idea to meet in the open. Would be good if they can run together too. Assuming that all goes well I wonder if it will be possible for you all to go over for a short visit in the next few days? If so everyone will be more relaxed on the big day. Hope you all have a lovely time!

sodapop Sun 16-Dec-18 18:27:49

Yes good idea to meet up for a walk first, possibly more than once if you can. Male & female are more likely to get along together than the same gender. Make sure the JR has a safe place to retreat to if she feels threatened. Try not to get too anxious about this as your anxiety will transmit to your dog. Good luck.

NanaandGrampy Sun 16-Dec-18 18:47:24

The larger space meeting and not on home territory for either dog is good.

One of you should walk in front with one dog while the other follows behind at a little distance. Shorten the distance gradually and let the dogs meet bottom first !

It has less potential for aggression . Once that goes smoothly you can continue to walk side by side.

I hope it all goes well and you have a lovely time ?

merlotgran Sun 16-Dec-18 19:28:22

Has the female JR been spayed? It can make a big difference to their temperament.

onaclearday Sun 16-Dec-18 22:34:26

Thank you all for your kind replies. Both dogs have been spayed. I will let you know how the initial meeting goes tomorrow.

onaclearday Mon 17-Dec-18 12:39:30

Well, after all the worry and what ifs, we walked them together up to the park (nose to tail as suggested) without incident. We then took them into the base ball court where we could close the gate, let them off the lead and they played very happily. Back to my house and into the garden for a good romp around. So far so good. The next step is a short visit to my granddaughter's so they can meet on the JRT's home ground.

sodapop Mon 17-Dec-18 12:42:41

Good news onaclearday sounds like all will be well. Enjoy your time with your family and pets now.

Missfoodlove Mon 17-Dec-18 13:31:04

Move any food or toys, always feed them in separate rooms.