Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog getting family up in the night

(58 Posts)
Hatpev Fri 04-Jan-19 12:00:26

Just had a very tearful daughter round. She has not slept for days due to dog crying and scrabbling in the night. This dog is 18 months old and well loved. Initially slept well in the crate but prior to being spayed she had a phantom pregnancy and was allowed to sleep in kitchen. This had to stop as she chewed the door. Now no one is getting any rest. The cage bars are all bent from her chewing. When she comes to stay overnight here we do not have any problems. We are not dog people. Any ideas from pet owners on Gransnet?

Iam64 Mon 07-Jan-19 13:19:05

I've already acknowledged some people disapprove of crates but that I've found good uses for them at times. Ny current 10 and 6 year old dogs haven't been crated since they were small puppies. My younger dog has serious spinal problems that came without warning recently. He's under the care of an orthopaedic surgeon and to have 2 or 3 walks of 5 mins only per day for six weeks in the hope surgery can be avoided. I'm very fortunate in having a large utility area, where the dogs sleep. Over recent years, they've been trained to go in there when the toddlers are around. It works brilliantly.
If we didn't have a flat, safe contained space for my dog - I'd use the large crate he is familiar with from being a puppy and also for long journeys in the car boot.
I wonder what people who are totally anti crate would suggest to keep my dog contained and safe in the absence of our utility or a crate>

watermeadow Tue 08-Jan-19 18:23:21

I always say, If you want a pet in a cage, get a hamster.

sodapop Tue 08-Jan-19 19:14:46

I haven't used crates but I can see where they can be useful. Nobody is suggesting locking their dog up in a cage watermeadow . They can provide a place of safety from marauding children or to stop the dog moving too much after an injury or operation.

Iam64 Wed 09-Jan-19 12:57:48

Very kind though water meadow given my questions about the best way to help my dog. He is currently in surgery for spinal problems which worsened despite our best efforts, and those of his vet. He will be crated overnight in their hospital and I'll take advice on the best way to aid his recovery at home.
I'd never get a hamster, cruel to contain pets in that way.

Iam64 Wed 09-Jan-19 20:26:46

My dog wasn't operated on after all. the MRI scan showed a large tumour on his spine. It's palliative care and I do hope we are able to make him comfortable in the large crate as his ends draws near.

Fennel Wed 09-Jan-19 20:36:34

Very sad Iam. Hoping he doesn't suffer too much, though I know you will.

sodapop Thu 10-Jan-19 08:46:43

So sorry to hear about your lovely boy Iam he will know how much he is loved as you care for him. Give him a gentle hug from me.