Gransnet forums

Pets

Britain’s Top Dog 2019: Staffordshire Bull Terrier crowned favourite breed

(6 Posts)
PernillaVanilla Thu 31-Jan-19 11:56:53

Oh, I do love Staffies.
After owning a selection of more "genteel" types, a collie cross, a standard dachshund and a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen we found ourselves in tears at the plight of an elderly Staffie on the Many Tears rescue site. Poor Porridge had been found on the streets, was old and threadbare and he had been left in the pound to be PTS when Dogs Trust did their usual cherry picking of the dogs there and left him to his fate. He was rescued by Many Tears and languished there for ages before we had this strange compulsion to make life better for him. He turned out to be an extraordinary dog, housetrained, well mannered, friendly and very fond of trying to get into bed with you by various devious means. Once he hid inside the duvet cover and waited for us, it was only the snoring that gave him away. Sadly he died of Leukaemia 17 months later, but we fulfilled our promises to him and he gave us more love and happiness than we could believe.
A short while later we adopted another Staffie, Butch from Rescue Remedies, he had been in kennels for 4 years. Once again we got a paragon of a dog, one who would always look for guidance before he got on the sofa or assumed anything, more affectionate than you can imagine. We were totally love bombed into finding this breed the best pet you could imagine. I really hope that with this great result for the Staffie in the awards there are going to be less of them waiting for years in rescue centres without homes and more people getting to feel that special love.

farview Thu 31-Jan-19 12:24:21

Lovely tale(tail!) of hope...the rescue centres are full of staffies and it is so heartbreaking...

sodapop Thu 31-Jan-19 12:31:04

Should have a spoiler alert on Gransnet, I haven't seen this programme yet.

PernillaVanilla Thu 31-Jan-19 13:20:43

oh, sorry, sodapop. i don't know what the other 99 dogs were though.

sodapop Thu 31-Jan-19 13:44:17

No worries, I'm going to have a lazy afternoon in front of the fire watching it.

ClareAB Fri 01-Feb-19 22:21:44

They are amazing dogs. I ended up fostering one when my 3 sons were young and we were going through tough times emotionally. That little dog had developed an individual relationship with all of us, and many other people as well. He died aged 16 eight years ago, and we all still miss him.