Gransnet forums

Pets

Petrified of dogs

(28 Posts)
Lumarei Tue 12-Feb-19 16:48:19

I never had a dog and grew up in a village where dogs were not kept indoors but lived in kennels outside guarding the property. When I passed the property the dog would suddenly appear from nowhere, jump up on the fence and bark incessantly until you had passed. I would get such a fright knowing what was about to happen and used to plan long detours to avoid particular houses on my way to school.

All my life I have been scared of dogs and dogs know it. When I go for a walk where dogs don’t have to be on the lead they would bound towards me jumping up on me (not necessarily barking). If I walk with my husband or a friend they would ignore them and jump up on me only.

My husband says it is because they smell/sense my fear from miles away and that they want to dominate me. (He grew up with dogs).

Yesterday I was walking and deep in my thoughts when suddenly something scratched and jumped up my legs (it was very muddy) and since I hadn’t noticed him, I could not have given off any vibes of fear. Btw the owner called him from about 100yds and dog did not react.

When I call for the owners who are usually too far away to be of any help, I hardly get an apology just informing me that the dog is harmless or that he normally doesn’t do such a thing. My resentment increases with every incidence (which I am sure the dogs sense) and I am now reluctant to go for walks in the countryside.

I don’t have a phobia because I am not afraid of dogs who walk beside their owners or where I know the owner is in control. I am actually fond of my friend’s dog and play with him and stroke him. However a dog running towards me ahead of the owner makes me want to scream as I know what is about to happen.

So far nobody has been able to give me any advise what to do to prevent a dog from jumping on me other than unhelpful suggestions not to be scared.
Is there anything you can suggest - a whistle or any other item that would protect me.

Fennel Wed 13-Feb-19 12:46:48

Lumerai - the first step is to realise that you're not alone in having a fear of dogs. It isn't illogical. As Iam says all dogs need to be trained. And even then can revert sometimes.
I tend to agree with the earlier posters (Clare, Tanith, Muffin).
If a dog runs up to you barking, face them down. Definitely don't turn and run.
In general I love dogs, but have had some frightening situations too. Where we live now there's a fashion for huskies. Every evening at about 6pm 2 young people walk these gorgeous dogs - on leads, but still controlling their humans. I often come home at that time and they lunge towards me barking madly. They nearly pull over their owners.
I admit I'm scared.
If I were you, I would buy a sweet little labrador puppy and train it yourself.

Riverwalk Wed 13-Feb-19 13:40:25

I'm a dog-lover and not scared of them at all but must say as a city/park walker I'm fed up of dogs that run up and leap up at you.

The usual refrain of 'he's only a puppy and won't harm you' doesn't wash I'm afraid.

Dogs should be on a lead when out in public, period.

I feel sorry for anyone who is scared, particularly children.