Gransnet forums

Pets

Petrified of dogs

(27 Posts)
ClareAB Tue 12-Feb-19 17:00:53

The only thing you can actively change is your own responses.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is good for learning how to deal/manage situations you find stressful.

Lumarei Tue 12-Feb-19 16:48:19

I never had a dog and grew up in a village where dogs were not kept indoors but lived in kennels outside guarding the property. When I passed the property the dog would suddenly appear from nowhere, jump up on the fence and bark incessantly until you had passed. I would get such a fright knowing what was about to happen and used to plan long detours to avoid particular houses on my way to school.

All my life I have been scared of dogs and dogs know it. When I go for a walk where dogs don’t have to be on the lead they would bound towards me jumping up on me (not necessarily barking). If I walk with my husband or a friend they would ignore them and jump up on me only.

My husband says it is because they smell/sense my fear from miles away and that they want to dominate me. (He grew up with dogs).

Yesterday I was walking and deep in my thoughts when suddenly something scratched and jumped up my legs (it was very muddy) and since I hadn’t noticed him, I could not have given off any vibes of fear. Btw the owner called him from about 100yds and dog did not react.

When I call for the owners who are usually too far away to be of any help, I hardly get an apology just informing me that the dog is harmless or that he normally doesn’t do such a thing. My resentment increases with every incidence (which I am sure the dogs sense) and I am now reluctant to go for walks in the countryside.

I don’t have a phobia because I am not afraid of dogs who walk beside their owners or where I know the owner is in control. I am actually fond of my friend’s dog and play with him and stroke him. However a dog running towards me ahead of the owner makes me want to scream as I know what is about to happen.

So far nobody has been able to give me any advise what to do to prevent a dog from jumping on me other than unhelpful suggestions not to be scared.
Is there anything you can suggest - a whistle or any other item that would protect me.