Gransnet forums

Pets

I no longer want to look after my daughter's cats.

(88 Posts)
MissingLincs Sat 02-Mar-19 14:11:47

There's nothing I can do but carry on but I no longer want to be responsible for the cats my daughter brought into our lives!
It's nearly 20 years since the first 2 cats were brought into my life by my ex-husband and my daughter without consulting me first. 13 years ago my daughter volunteered at a local cat rescue centre and gave me a sob story of a cat that couldn't be rehomed and then about 10 years ago she asked if we could look after her friend's cat while they were having work done on their house... the cat never went back to its owner but instead became pregnant, TWICE! We found homes for all but 1 (a blind cat) from the first litter and all but 3 of the 2nd litter.
My daughter did do her share of looking after the cats, feeding them, changing their water and taking the poo out of the litter tray.
My daughter left home 5 years ago and has since got married and had 2 children so I am left looking after 4 cats I do not love, do not like and do not want! Don't get me wrong, I don't neglect them, I buy them 2 giant sacks of Iams every 3 months or so. I pay for any vet bills needed and the bloody flea treatment (although I don't think Frontline works anymore!)
I find myself trying to work out how much longer they might live for to see how long it'll be until I can go on holiday without getting someone in to feed them.
My daughter can't/won't take any of the cats because of my son-in-law's asthma. I'm fed up of the cat hair and chasing them off the kitchen worktops. When my daughter visits with my 3 year old granddaughter, the little one wants to find all the cats and stroke them.
Yes, I have thought about taking them to the Blue Cross and pretending I'd found them but my conscience won't allow it. I'm not a bad person and they will be looked after by me until they pass away, I just wanted to vent my frustration of having to take care of pets that I've never wanted!
As I said, there's nothing I can do but carry on looking after them, I'm just fed up of it!

eazybee Sat 02-Mar-19 14:22:30

You should ask your daughter for a contribution towards their upkeep, as she was responsible for introducing them into your home. My daughter persuaded me to have two cats rather than one thirteen years ago, but she has faithfully paid the insurance for them even after leaving home, while I bring them up and provide board and lodging. She also feeds them if I go away for a few days.
Four cats must cost an awful lot of money, and if you don't enjoy their company it is grossly unfair of her to expect you to maintain them on your own.
Could they be rehomed?

Sparklefizz Sat 02-Mar-19 14:23:47

MissingLincs You're looking after 4 cats which you say you "do not love, do not like and do not want", and this is so sad for both you and the cats. You all deserve better! Those cats could be much-loved and treasured by other families, and you could get on with your life.

If you daughter can't/won't take responsibility for them as you state, then she can't complain if you rehome them. Your little granddaughter will soon adjust.

I have had rescue cats all my life and the rescue centres, not just Blue Cross, are well used to people taking cats there who either don't get on with other pets, cause allergies or are not accepted by landlords. You would not have to pretend anything.

You could have many years more of this, and believe me, those little cats will know that they're not loved or wanted, and meanwhile you feel resentful and fed up.

No offence but if I didn't have a lovely adored cat of my own, I would offer to have them as I believe every pet should be in a loving home.

I do hope you find a way out of your dilemma.

ginny Sat 02-Mar-19 14:26:30

No you are not a bad person at all. In fact you are probably too good! I expect there is little you can do about the situation now but be firm about never taking on any more. Maybe Daughter and neighbour could chip in on the money front, vets and treatments are not cheap nor is having to pay someone to feed them when you are away.flowers

Urmstongran Sat 02-Mar-19 14:29:41

These are cats you’ve inherited by default and I would feel exactly the same as you. Fed up.

I’d set a deadline - say two months - and say to your daughter ‘on 1st May these cats have to be out, they cost me a lot of money and ive done my share’.

She is the animal lover so get her to take back responsibility for getting them homes. Don’t say what your plan is if she doesn’t crack on. Just say you’ll ‘deal with the matter’ yourself on that date. That should focus her mind.

Good luck.
I couldn’t bear it either ☹️

MissingLincs Sat 02-Mar-19 14:35:04

Thank you for your replies... I just think I have to grin & bear it. I just wanted to voice my frustrations even though I can't change anything. I talk to them, I let them sit on my knee, I make a fuss of them, I just wish I didn't have to.
I won't ask my daughter for money towards them because I'm pretty sure she would have taken some, if not all of them if she could have.

Luckygirl Sat 02-Mar-19 14:40:47

You will have to speak to RSPCA and they will be able to help you to rehome them or know where the nearest cats' home is. I would not put up with this in my home.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Mar-19 14:50:44

I don’t see why you have to grin and bear it if you dislike them so much surely the cats would be better off in new homes There neve4 seems a shortage of cat lovers to take on cats and give them a good home
What ages are the cats ?
You say there is nothing else you can do but I don’t think that’s true you can do something if you want to be proactive If your daughter can’t have them through her husbands asthma she can’t keep saving them and passing on to someone else that’s unacceptable

EllanVannin Sat 02-Mar-19 15:00:54

I love cats, but to have 4 foisted onto me I doubt I'd like them any more.
I have 3 of my own and also feed an outside stray ( probably others do too ) so I know the expense involved.
Yes, I'd be giving an ultimatum such as a specific length of time----or else !

MissingLincs Sat 02-Mar-19 15:07:40

It's OK BlueBelle, there hasn't been any additions since the kittens while my daughter was living at home.
The oldest (the blind one) is 10 years old (Facebook reminded me with a flashback photo) and the other 3 are 9 years old so no new cats for 9 years. My daughter moved out about 5 years ago.

Day6 Sat 02-Mar-19 15:28:36

Those cats could be much-loved and treasured by other families, and you could get on with your life.

I agree MissingLincs. It's not fair on the poor cats to be disliked.

You are counting the days till they die. Animals are usually very affectionate but they will sense they are not cherished or loved.

Perhaps if you explain your dilemma to the local cat group, they may try to re-home them for you? It would be such a shame to split them up now though. sad

I hope there is a solution to your problem. I appreciate your daughter was the "cat woman"before she moved out and you have been lumbered with them.

(Same happened to me with daughter's two mice when she went off to Uni.)

Day6 Sat 02-Mar-19 15:32:10

Ooops, apologies, MissingLincs it was Sparklefizz I quoted.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Mar-19 15:37:04

Thanks for your answer Missinglincs so basically for five years you have felt used and harboured resentment at getting left with these cats. If you dislike them find them homes and don’t look back, you could have another 8/10 years if not (my friend has a 21 year old that is still sprightly)

Charleygirl5 Sat 02-Mar-19 15:42:24

I would bite the bullet, look up your local cat rescue centre online and do the deed. If you have any spare food and cat litter they would be pleased to take it. You need a life- enjoy it. Tell your daughter afterwards in case she could persuade you to guilt trip and continue.

I am a lover of cats and they do know when they are not loved.

jura2 Sat 02-Mar-19 16:31:34

why can't your daughter take them? They are hers after all.

sodapop Sat 02-Mar-19 16:56:23

Jura the daughter's husband has asthma so they can't have any of the cats.
I'm not sure you really want to rehome the cats MissingLincs I think you are just a bit fed up with the situation you find yourself in. Five cats are expensive to keep though, I know,
There are rescue centres who will help with rehoming so maybe you could think about it.

muffinthemoo Sat 02-Mar-19 17:04:07

Rehome them. I think it is a bloody cheek to rehome four cats in someone else's home and then dump them when you move out - and I am afraid this is exactly what DD did. She brought them to your home: it was her responsibility as an adult pet owner either to take them with her when she left, or, given the asthma situation, for HER to have the trouble/emotion of rehoming them.

Tell her you are rehoming them, and why.

SalsaQueen Sat 02-Mar-19 17:16:58

Why wouldn't you get a pet-sitter? I've always had cats (almost 40 years) anI've always managed to get reliable, trustworthy people to look after my cats when I've been away.

Also, Frontline ISN'T any good. 3 vets have told me that the fleas become resistant to certain treatments - Frontline being the main one. I get BRAVECTO from the vet, for my cats.

I don't know where you live, but all the animal shelters where I am (Derby) are usually full.

SalsaQueen Sat 02-Mar-19 17:19:03

The cat-sitter I have charges £8 per visit (45 minutes), so it's not too expensive (she calls in twice daily, and my son does the night-time visit)

jura2 Sat 02-Mar-19 17:45:18

SalsaQueen - sorry but how would a cat sitter help in this case???

lemongrove Sat 02-Mar-19 21:01:36

They must be quite old now?
Of course that can mean ill health and big vet bills as well.
Nobody should have pets foisted upon them, but as you agreed to it, there’s no alternative, and I understand you wanting to vent about it.
A friend of ours had two dogs dumped on her by an unthinking DD, 15 years later she is still looking after them and resenting it.

barbiedoll Sat 02-Mar-19 21:02:33

This could have happened to me with a dog, so I made sure I didn't bring it to mine or have it to stay over night, But I do help out by staying at their house when needed, but have said no to staying two weeks as it's too much. Did the same when my Grandson was born a long time ago, would mind him part time, but not full time like my then daughters husband wanted me to so she could work full time.

sodapop Sat 02-Mar-19 21:52:04

So that's how my husband got off loaded onto me grin

Anja Sat 02-Mar-19 22:03:27

Firstly Frontline isn’t very effective any more. That’s one problem easily solved. Ask your vet to prescribe a flea cum wormer then all will be sorted.

If you feel like that then get in touch with an animal charity and ask that they help you rehome the cats. All credit to you for keeping them this long but they might find loving homes with someone else.

Anja Sat 02-Mar-19 22:05:31

PS and tell your daughter to help you find new homes. It’s her problem too.