Gransnet forums

Pets

What are the signs of dementia in a cat?

(26 Posts)
Nannyxthree Fri 08-Mar-19 09:55:46

We have always had cats and have three at the moment. The eldest one is about 14 and is fit and healthy according to the vet. For the last year or so her behaviour has been unpredictable in that she wants to be stroked and receive attention but when she gets it she attacks you! There hadn't been any changes in her routine and 'Fellaway' didn't help. We are concerned she may attack GC.

Just in the last few months she has started using our bed to pee on! There are other beds in the house which she sleeps on without incident but if she can get to ours (door kept shut now) she is not to be trusted.

I suggested that she goes to vet but DH says that will just cost a fortune in medication which may not help at her age. Already spending a lot at launderette washing the quilt etc.

B9exchange Fri 08-Mar-19 10:04:17

You definitely need to get this checked out, she might have a urinary infection, which could explain all of that. There are other treatable conditions too that need to be rules out.

If DH's mum became confused and struggling with incontinence, would he refuse medical help? grin (sorry, couldn't help myself!)

Charleygirl5 Fri 08-Mar-19 10:12:55

Has anything changed in your house of which your cat may not approve? Have you bought new furniture- changed a room around, anybody moved in or moved out?

Mine uses a bedroom for sleeping and I changed the duvet cover 2 days ago. Since then she has slept on a runner outside the bathroom to show her displeasure.

sodapop Fri 08-Mar-19 11:02:20

I agree with B9 you need to get this checked out as it could be a treatable problem and if it isn't then at least you know what you are dealing with. Good luck

Jane10 Fri 08-Mar-19 13:04:27

Our poor old boy Buddy had a marked change in behaviour. The thing that made us rake him to the vet as him suddenly using our bed as a toilet. Just so unlike him. Sadly, the vet found that he had a cancer with secondaries in his brain. We had time to give him a last few days of spoiling before he was put to sleep. It was very sad. However, he was plainly unhappy and not his usual self. He's still my cat of a lifetime. (But don't tell Baz).
Take your cat to the vet!!

shysal Fri 08-Mar-19 14:16:03

One of my cats (10 year old female) started weeing against my bed headboard. I filled a new litter tray and put it in the bedroom near the bed. Fortunately this did the trick and she uses it frequently and very enthusiastically, but I have found no more inappropriate urinating.

Nannyxthree Fri 08-Mar-19 14:16:46

Many thanks for your replies. I think she is due for her annual check-up soon so will mention it then.

JANE10 we've had a cat in the past who had cancer like your Buddy but ours was obviously in pain and loosing weight.

MissAdventure Fri 08-Mar-19 14:45:11

My friends cat was diagnosed with dementia.
She (the cat) would wander the house for most of the night, crying and not seeming to know what it was she wanted, exactly.
She forgot how to use the catflap, and had to be taken to her dishes to eat.

The vet said that she wasn't suffering though, and she lived on for a couple of years. (By which time my friend was exhausted!)

Anja Fri 08-Mar-19 14:59:41

My old dog has a touch of dementia. The vet suggested I give her fish oil tablets (NOT cod liver oil) and I squeeze one onto her feed 3-4 times a week. Very cheap and it does seem to help her.

Apparently it’s the omega 3 oils which are good for the brain. I’ll perhaps pop one into DH’s dinner too.

Anja Fri 08-Mar-19 15:00:56

PS her symptoms were waking up at night and wanting to go outside.....then just wandering about in the dark garden. Now she sleeps through much of the time.

Nannyxthree Fri 08-Mar-19 17:58:25

Thanks to everyone again. We had another cat some years ago who lived to 18 or 19 and got more and more vague, but was always a loving cat, never bad tempered and apparently happy in her vagueness. Not a bit like the current situation so perhaps I've answered my own question!

maxdecatt Sat 09-Mar-19 09:28:53

The first signs are when the cat answers back when you ask it to help with the dusting. Ours objects to being attached to a broom handle and used to wipe cobwebs from the ceiling. Oops, sorry. The first sign of dementia in me is when I forget it is a cat and use it as a duster.

Bartsmaw Sat 09-Mar-19 09:34:34

Love this really made us laugh out loud. Thanks????

Gizmogranny Sat 09-Mar-19 09:50:52

My daughters cat was diagnosed with dementia. She used to pace around the house meowing for no apparent reason. If she found herself in a corner she couldn’t get out. Very sad.

Diggingdoris Sat 09-Mar-19 10:31:10

Our 19yr old moggie goes out of the open patio doors, walks two yards along to the kitchen back door and cries to be let in! She started weeing in inappropriate places as well, including on the spare bed, regularly. Then she stopped doing this overnight. Bless her, she was an abandoned kitten, found in a black sack in a ditch. Will be a sad day when she goes.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 09-Mar-19 10:40:37

Nannyxthree
Go to the vet pronto Animals obviously can't tell you how they feel. Do you have an animal hospital in your area ?as these places never turn away a sick animal regardless whether you have the immediate funds.

rocketstop Sat 09-Mar-19 10:53:56

My lovely cat had dementia, it first became noticeable when he would wake up in the night crying and scared as though he didn't know where he was, I had to go and cuddle him to settle him down.
Also, he used to sit facing the skirting board or staring into a corner quite dully, and yet he was such an involved cat, the vet said that was a very obvious sign.
I do think you should go to the vet, just for the consultation.

bikergran Sat 09-Mar-19 11:30:44

My little cat Rosie.started with a sort of sore on her mouth the vet said probably a tumour she started doing odd things. Sitting on the chair but facing backwards like she was looking at the back of the chair.

Vet said it was prob starting to effect her brain.

We decided a date and bought her some prawns to eat at the vets sad
Then had to have her sister cat pts about a month later.(prawns for her as well)

Craftycat Sat 09-Mar-19 11:43:17

Having had cats all my life & some living to 24 years old I don't consider this old for a cat.
I suspect a urinary tract infection. Do get her checked out ASAP- she may be in pain.
Can you bring forward her annual check up?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 09-Mar-19 11:55:34

Do get this checked. Wetting your bed is a problem, but you have solved it by keeping the bedroom door closed.

I find it much more worrying that the cat wants to be cuddled then attacks. Definitely keep her away from visiting children. The only cat I have ever known with similar behaviour had a brain tumour, so I hope the vet has some less horrible diagnosis.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 09-Mar-19 11:55:52

My cat is 19 and, fingers crossed, seems to be himself. If puss has stopped grooming that can be a sign, though not looking after himself may have other causes. A friend said that cats make a noise like a bird if they have dementia, not sure as to the verity of this.
It may not cost too much at the vet as dementia can't be treated, as sadly we all know.

willa45 Sat 09-Mar-19 16:34:31

I've had cats for most of my life. The most common ailments in older cats are Diabetes, arthritis, kidney failure and Thyroid disease. Thyroid is easiest to treat. Diabetes requires daily blood sticks and shots, but it's also treatable. Cats with kidney disease deteriorate slowly....eventually they become very thin and vomit a lot, as kidneys shut down. Most humane remedy is to euthanize.

Older cats with dementia cry a lot. They will often stop in their tracks and wail loudly. Older cats drink more water, so have a plentiful supply....they may start 'missing' the litter box and do their business along the perimeter....arthritis is common and your old feline may have trouble walking and getting around. They often can't make it to the litter box in time so they may adopt new, more convenient locations such as a bed or the living room carpet.

Some suggestions: Place one or two extra litter boxes in key locations. It may help to line the perimeters with puppy pads. Adjusting its diet can help too. It is a matter of trial and error until symptoms improve. Generally speaking older cats do better on wet food.

Arm yourself with a lot of patience, keep plenty of puppy pads on hand and find a trustworthy vet.

willa45 Sat 09-Mar-19 16:52:30

....an afterthought. Re: Reacts badly when she's stroked. Could she have a 'sore' spot or a painful lump that hurts when its touched? Will she allow you to inspect under her skin? Have you taken her to a vet since the stroke/attack behavior started?

Willow500 Sat 09-Mar-19 17:00:49

Exactly as willa45 says. I've also had cats for the last 40 years and experienced all the above ailments over that time. Definitely take her for a check up as it could be an infection. We had one old boy who became blind (although with hindsight we think he'd had problems most of this life). In the last couple of years he would wander round on a night crying incessantly - no amount of comforting or moving him to our bed help. In the end his heart gave out and we had to have him put to sleep.

If your cat is suddenly attacking you after years of liking to be petted she could be experiencing some pain or just have become sensitive to touch. I have one currently who won't tolerate being touched or petted anywhere and yet wants to be near me all the time. They're very perverse creatures which is probably why we love them grin

bamwah Sat 09-Mar-19 17:42:39

our old man Dave aged 19 has developed strange habits lately.....he uses a litter tray for the first time since he was a small kitten.....this has to be clean or he will pee on the kitchen floor....he likes to sleep next to his water bowl.....he has changed his eating habits too.....just had him checked out by our vet who says he is doing well on borrowed time......we are just grateful that we still have him around...