Gransnet forums

Pets

He hasn’t done a poo in 2 days

(21 Posts)
sarahcyn Sat 04-May-19 12:47:57

My darling cockapoo Merlin is normally a 2? per day chap. He now hasn't done anything since Thursday. He is also refusing to walk more than halfway down the street.
I'm offering him a spoonful of coconut oil but how worried should I be?
He's otherwise normal and ate his supper last night as usual.

Slowcookervegan Sat 04-May-19 13:11:53

Straight to the vet, could be a serious blockage.
Good luck.

Chucky Sat 04-May-19 13:13:48

I agree, take him to the vet, not worth the risk of being something serious.

NanaandGrampy Sat 04-May-19 13:14:13

I agree withslowcooker !

Could be a torsion of the bowel OR he could have eaten something like a sock which has blocked him up .

sodapop Sat 04-May-19 15:23:21

Definitely the vet, sooner rather than later sarahcyn Why do our pets become ill at weekends and bank holidays ?

Charleygirl5 Sat 04-May-19 15:33:32

Do not attempt to treat him yourself- you need professional help.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 04-May-19 15:57:27

Hope you have been to the vet and that everything is all right now. Keep us posted!

We pet lovers worry about others' pets, you know.

phoenix Sat 04-May-19 16:05:43

I agree with other posters 're visit to the vet, but spaniels tend to be prone to anal gland problems, so it could be that. (Still need to see the vet though!)

Is he going what Mrs Pumphrey would have referred to as "flop bot"?

whywhywhy Sat 04-May-19 16:10:00

Off to the vets. These babies are precious. x

sarahcyn Sun 05-May-19 11:38:25

Not sure what a “flop bot” is grin
He did a small one yesterday
If he doesn’t poo normally today I’ll call the emergency vet £££&£&£

MawBroonsback Sun 05-May-19 11:42:26

Vet - even the emergency one -do not delay.

Alexa Sun 05-May-19 11:46:38

Refusing to walk a bad sign unless he's really old and tired. Vet asap I think. Best wishes to you and the wee fellow.

glammanana Sun 05-May-19 11:47:00

Poor chap must be so uncomfortable was the small amount he did look normal to you or did it look "forced",do you have a PDSA clinic near you where you can take him my neighbour takes her dog to their clinics and pays a donation for treatment they are very very good.I hope he is better soon they are so precious to us aren't they.

sarahcyn Sun 05-May-19 13:37:47

Many thanks to you all from me and Merlin. Happy to report ?? today and much more lively.
Phoenix you mentioned anal glands - used to be a problem - every 6 weeks to the vet - scooting etc :-( - then we went raw and absolutely no problems ever since in that department
Woof!

phoenix Sun 05-May-19 13:46:57

There you go, "scooting" = "flop bot"!

In the series "All Creatures Great & Small" there was a Pekinese, called Tricki Woo, owned by Mrs Pumphrey. She was always concerned when he had flop bot or went crackerdog! grin

Slowcookervegan Sun 05-May-19 15:46:18

So glad to hear he's better x

sarahcyn Sun 05-May-19 15:53:11

I get a bit obsessed with Merlin's rear end - as you do

phoenix Sun 05-May-19 16:05:13

Slightly off piste, but I remember one of the sign offs in The Two Ronnies, "News just in of a new book published by a disillusioned vet, called "All Creatures Grunt & Smell"!

sarahcyn can't say that I'm particularly obsessed with Oliver Sprout or Minnies read ends, even though they seem determined to keep showing them to me confused

And another thought, perhaps Merlin should now be classified as a Cockernotmuchpoo?

I'll get me coat..............

1inamillion Sun 05-May-19 16:21:36

He needs to go to the vet. If your regular one is closed over the weekend/Bank Holiday Monday, try the vet at Pets at Home. DS finds them very good. Hope Merlin is better soon, let us know.

1inamillion Sun 05-May-19 16:24:46

Glad Merlin is better.
That'll teach me to read ALL the posts.

sarahcyn Tue 07-May-19 10:43:57

Phoenix grin