Gransnet forums

Pets

RIP Grumpy Cat

(14 Posts)
MawBroonsback Sat 18-May-19 07:47:38

Sad news, Grumpy Cat has died, aged just 7 sad

www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/may/17/grumpy-cat-dies-seven-internet-meme-gif

That face, a sort of feline Les Dawson was something we could all relate to sad

lemongrove Sat 18-May-19 08:49:02

???
It’s my chosen look first thing in the morning Maw.

lemongrove Sat 18-May-19 08:50:01

Do you think fame was too much for him??

Deedaa Sat 18-May-19 18:19:37

Such a shame when she was so young, but who knows what internal problems her dwarfism may have caused?

sodapop Sat 18-May-19 20:59:24

She earned her owner a great deal of money with ads and merchandise. Maybe it will work for your chosen look Lemongrove

jura2 Sat 18-May-19 21:49:14

the exploitation of animals and 'pets' for the internet and personal gain is disgusting and there is so much cruelty involved in many cases. Sad.

MawBroonsback Sat 18-May-19 23:56:41

What makes you think this cat was in any way illtreated or exploited Jura?
I know nothing about it or its owners just that a random picture on the Internet “went viral” and it became a very famous cat.
Is that exploitation I wonder? If so, how?

jura2 Mon 20-May-19 14:56:55

In this case, I am not sure. But I feel very unhappy about people making money off the back of animals on the internet. There are so many sites- sometimes the photos are funny and seem quite natural- but too often, it is clear the animals have been put into poses and situations which are very unnatural and very uncomfortable and even painful or dangerous, or dressed up, and forced to walk or cycle- with training methods which can involve real cruelty. It upsets me.

humptydumpty Mon 20-May-19 15:03:30

I believe GC died from a urinary infection; I do hope her life was to her liking and not too much posing for pictures, meeting admirers etc.

grannylyn65 Mon 20-May-19 15:09:22

?

Lukas Sun 22-Sep-19 15:59:11

very sad news

paddyann Sun 22-Sep-19 18:11:08

my GD has a huge box full of Grumpy Cat toys ,she collected them ,or rather I collected them for her from a list she made .Hopefullly how he has gone to chase mice in the sky she wont want to get rid of them and start a new collection of strange little things.We've done the LOL dolls ,the My little pony's the Kittys in various forms all the houses and stables and kitchens that go with them ...ah well her new baby sister might want them in a couple of years

Tedber Mon 23-Sep-19 17:57:49

I must be the only one who doesn't know who 'grumpy cat' is!

Maybe the 'grumpy' was because he wasn't feeling well? My 10 year old cat died suddenly in April from bladder problems (he suddenly became unable to pee). So no I don't think it would be anything to do with him being on internet. After all, he wouldn't know would he?

RIP special puss.

Willow500 Tue 24-Sep-19 07:16:58

It was RIP Grandpa cat yesterday too - a feral stray found 3 years ago when a building was demolished. He was old, battle scarred and suffering from kidney failure so not put up for adoption but taken in by a foster carer who he would have nothing to do with. However when she brought in a foster family of kittens who crawled all over him he started to care for them and looked after many little ones over the next 3 years. Sadly his kidneys finally failed and he had to be PTS the other day after one final night with his beloved babies. Such a sad story especially as he was a brown tabby just like my beloved best boy who died 9 years ago sad