Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat litter disposal.

(30 Posts)
shysal Fri 19-Jul-19 14:41:39

I use a clumping cat litter, from which I scoop the lumps several times a day into biodegradable poo bags. These have to go into the wheelie bin for land fill, collected once a fortnight. In the warm weather I can detect the smell as I pass the bin, despite having a deodorant in the lid and sprinkling Jeyes bin powder.
I am considering buying a nappy disposal unit similar to this link, but the cassettes are not cheap. What do others do and have you any better suggestions?Nappy disposal unit

SueDonim Fri 19-Jul-19 23:18:59

Flushing cat poo down the toilet is disgusting, it spreads toxoplasmosis into the water system, potentially infecting wild mammals and humans. YUK!

We use silica cat litter. It's super absorbent and doesn't need to be changed very often. It quickly desiccates the cat poo so it's relatively dry when you bag it up and then there's absolutely no smell coming from it even with two-weekly bin collections.

H1954 Fri 19-Jul-19 23:42:40

Well said Bluebelle! Why is it that cats never poo in their owners gardens? ?????

Charleygirl5 Sat 20-Jul-19 09:33:07

Mine comes home to use her litter tray= gone are the days when she lifted her tail anywhere outside. She prefers the comfort and privacy of her own home.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Dec-19 17:54:39

My cats go to the toilet in their litter trays which are cleaned very regularly so we don’t have our cats upsetting neighbours by doing their business in their gardens, and no we don’t flush the litter down the toilet it’s vile