Gransnet forums

Pets

Wild bird food advice, please!

(10 Posts)
Squiffy Mon 05-Aug-19 17:55:52

I know wild birds aren't exactly 'pets', but . . . . .

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to prevent wild bird seed from germinating?

Our feeding station is planted on the edge of a border and the feeders are hanging over the brick-paved terrace rather than the border itself. The birds are doing a cracking job of flicking the seeds all over the show and we now have a mini wheat field in the bed. There's ingratitude for you!

I've done the compulsory Google search and there are pros and cons regarding microwaving the seeds. I wondered if any of you have tried it?

We've tried covering the part of the bed that's near the feeder, but the birds' scatter-gun approach would mean covering 90% of the whole garden!

I've been digging up the wheat etc, but so much soil is coming up with it and is so embedded that I'm going to end up with craters!

The two feeders are the type that are specifically for small birds - a cylinder containing the food and they have to land on a small bar which opens the feeding hatch, so it's not as though the food is constantly falling out. There is also another type for small birds, which is basically a bowl with a 'hat' suspended above it to prevent larger birds getting the food.

Any ideas would be gratefully received smile

Septimia Mon 05-Aug-19 18:07:57

I buy 'no waste, no grow' birdfood, which seems to work. I get it online.

However, the niger seed produces lots of little plants and I'm wondering if I should just let them grow and seed so that the birds can help themselves!

MrsJamJam Mon 05-Aug-19 18:56:19

The little birds don't like wheat and will always throw it out. Best to buy a mix that doesn't have wheat seeds in, even though it is likely to be a bit more expensive. They are fussy little blighters !

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 05-Aug-19 19:38:55

Agree. Birds don't like mixes. I have four feeders: sunflower seeds (not hearts - too expensive), niger seeds, peanuts and fat balls.

Used to have one feeder for mixed. Watched them throwing it left, right and centre till they found what they wanted. Mainly the coal tits did this.

rubysong Mon 05-Aug-19 19:45:43

We have the same problem. Our feeder is a pole which slots into a tube in the ground. I wonder if a tube could be put in the lawn just below the grass surface, then the pole could be removed for cutting the grass and the seedlings would be mowed along with the grass.

Septimia Mon 05-Aug-19 20:21:01

The wheat in the mix I buy does get eaten, but probably by the bigger birds - including the pheasant that arrives at the dish on the balcony.

I found I had a lots of fancy flours bought at various mills etc. and which hadn't been used so were out of date. I also had some dried fruit that had been around a long time. I bought some cheap fat and mixed it all up, with a bit of water, rolled it into sausages and stuck it in the oven. The birds can't get through it fast enough.

kittylester Mon 05-Aug-19 20:27:53

I buy nibbed sunflower hearts which dont produce much waste. They are more expensive but it is mostly eaten not thrown around.

BradfordLass72 Mon 05-Aug-19 21:44:13

I buy 'wild bird seed' for the seed eaters, and often use any fat from bacon to coat it.
But I throw it on the drive where there is no chance of germination.

I'm reluctant to put it out on anything other than the very coldest day because we live near the bush with abundant food supplies : bugs, spiders, slugs, berries etc., and that's better for the birds than anything I can offer.

Squiffy Mon 05-Aug-19 22:15:09

I knew I could rely on GNetters for some answers!

Now I know why it’s mainly wheat that’s flicked overboard!

Thank you all ? smile

jura2 Thu 08-Aug-19 20:37:59

Only buy sunflowers seeds, and non palm oil fat balls. None of our mountain birds would eat the wheat or cracked corn.