Gransnet forums

Pets

Peggy caught a mole this morning.

(11 Posts)
merlotgran Sat 07-Sep-19 16:09:13

Before my very eyes. Waited for it to surface then tossed it in the air, terrier style.

It's only taken her nine years to learn the technique from her mother. hmm Even the cat bounded across the yard to join the celebration!

Now she's showing off. The lawn is full of holes. angry

Ellianne Sat 07-Sep-19 16:15:00

Clever Peggy! Our cats love catching moles. For some reason, unlike the mice or rabbits they catch, they don't eat the moles. Maybe because they're furry!

Gonegirl Sat 07-Sep-19 16:26:46

Poor little mole.

#rightsformoles #leavethemolesalone

merlotgran Sat 07-Sep-19 16:32:27

leavethemmolesalone

I've got a Pink Floyd earworm now. grin

grandtanteJE65 Sat 07-Sep-19 17:10:40

Good thing you don't live here - moles are regarded as an endangered species in Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands, so you could be fined if your dog killed one.

EllanVannin Sat 07-Sep-19 17:13:01

I remember being bitten by a vole many years ago, the little blighter was hanging on my finger. The thanks I got for rescuing it from the jaws of a cat.

Auntieflo Sat 07-Sep-19 17:15:42

Now you just need enough to make a moleskin 'weskit'
?

merlotgran Sat 07-Sep-19 17:17:04

You can have some of ours grandtante We have plenty to spare.

SalsaQueen Sun 08-Sep-19 10:13:08

Poor mole. If your cat had killed a bird, would you celebrate that too?

MiniMoon Sun 08-Sep-19 10:26:51

A cat lived across the road and used to hunt in our garden and down our lane. One day he caught a mole.
I watched from the window to see what would happen.
He put the mole down and began playing with it, as cats do. He became distracted by something in the shrubbery and took his eye off the mole.
The mole took its opportunity, found a soft place in the gravel, and tunnelled its way to freedom.
The cat looked back just as the mole was disappearing underground. He sat and waited for a while, and then went off home.
Well done mole!

merlotgran Sun 08-Sep-19 10:32:18

I agree that it's horrid the way cats play with their prey but gardening on soft fenland means we're plagued with moles so although most of the time we live and let live it's natural for a terrier to hunt them and any help with keeping the numbers down is welcome.

A terrier kills rats and other vermin quickly and efficiently. We don't discourage this.