Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog theft is it increasing?

(57 Posts)
sazz1 Thu 12-Sep-19 12:21:23

Not a day seems to go by without someone posting that their dog or puppy has been stolen. Recently in the press, on the news and all over Facebook there have been young puppy litters taken from outhouses and sheds. Also seen reports of house burglaries where the family dog has been taken. Thieves took £2500 from one person to return her puppies. As a dog owner myself I do find this frightening. If they are caught it's just classed as theft so no real punishment. What do others think? Should it be a separate crime to steal pets?

Tallyann1 Sat 14-Sep-19 22:24:53

Bluebell....one word...fox!!

BlueBelle Sat 14-Sep-19 22:41:02

jaye don’t talk about USA they declaw cats over there so they don’t spoil the furniture !
No tallyann no foxes here unfortunately I wish there was beautiful creatures

Doings Sun 15-Sep-19 00:36:31

Some years ago now. One of my dog walkers team had her van stolen with dogs in her care in the vehicle. Four, was it five, were left tied to a lamp post, two were held for ransom. The dog walker had walked up to her next pickups house when a car pulled up behind her van, the passenger of the car leapt out and jumped in her van and both vehicles drove off.

It was awful. Thieves demanded thousands of pounds.

The three legged dog stolen from outside the shop and found in Birmingham was one I was following on DogLost. I never leave my dog outside a shop now, never.

Selsey99 Sun 15-Sep-19 18:18:39

Emilymarie spot on

jura2 Tue 17-Sep-19 16:40:24

One solution - do not buy fashionable breeds- adopt older Heinz 57.

Dinahmo Wed 18-Sep-19 13:35:23

Many years ago my DH had a workshop in a building in Brixton. The exterior wall had a large hole which had been used for steam vents but was covered on the inside by a metal plate. A kestrel nested in the hole and he kept an eye on them. As the chicks began learning to fly he often had to go outside to pick them up. One day a chick flew out of the building, down the road and across Brixton High Road, slamming into a plate glass window. He chased it and managed to pick it up. A young lad who worked in a different part of the building had seen the film Kes and so wanted one of the chicks as a pet. He was quite angry when my DH told him no. Anyway, there was a happy ending because they all flew away and he saw them on top of a nearby roof. Once they'd gone he put a panel across the exterior of the hole to prevent future nesting. An early example of someone feeling entitled.