Gransnet forums

Pets

Indoor rabbit

(38 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Thu 19-Sep-19 03:25:14

I have long wanted a pet.
I'm not a cat person and where I live, dogs are not allowed.
I don't agree that birds should be caged and althogh I've also had mice and hamsters in the past, I don't want a repeat.

Today, my friend Rose told me about her dwarf agouti rabbit which hops onto her knee for a cuddle and roams the house, using its litter tray when necessary.

It also has a harness so she can take it out onto the lawn to feed on fresh grasa and puha (Sow Thistle or Sonchus oleraceus).

I could manage that, although I'd never leave it roaming the house if I were out.

But this is a big step, so I would very much value the advice of anyone who has or had an indoor rabbit.

Thanks

seacliff Thu 19-Sep-19 12:19:09

We had 2 rabbits outside, at one time. We used to bring them in to play, and have a cuddle on our laps. They were very fastidious, and we just put some newspaper in one place, they would always go there to poo.

We had an enclosed garden, although cats could have jumped over. We had one old cat who wouldn't chase anything. Eventually we let the rabbits out permanently. They made a burrow under our rockery and were very happy, they just love digging. If I had an indoor rabbit, I would have an enclosure outside, so it could be in the fresh air for a while every day..

Rabbits are social animals, and need a friend. The certainly did chew wires any chance they got.

SirChenjin Thu 19-Sep-19 12:20:24

I’m very impressed by these rabbits who use a litter tray! Our never did - and rabbits poo and wee A LOT. It was a bad tempered bugger that scratched and bit, and used to chew everything. It was a relief all round when she finally shuffled off to bunny heaven tbh.

Grannyhall29 Sun 05-Jan-20 21:22:57

We used to have a house rabbit, so did my sister, they were both house trained, her rabbit had a litter tray and would cuddle up and play with there dog (a mastif cross - he was huge) but loved the rabbit, our rabbit had a cage for when we were out, with litter tray in it, she would use the litter tray whenever she wanted a wee/poo, she did have a tendency to nibble the wallpaper and my son's PlayStation controller wires, for those saying it's cruel keeping a rabbit in the house, they have much more space than if they were stuck outside in a cage

Ineedalife Sun 05-Jan-20 23:39:30

Just to add my thoughts here. I had rabbits for years, started off with one indoors, he had a hutch where he slept and had his food and during the day he spent his time wandering about and keeping me company. He did rip wallpaper off, when I moved to a house he had use of the garden but always supervised for his safety.

It worked as a lifestyle so his successors mostly lived the same way, also had, at various times, in different houses, runs and enclosed gardens, always supervised and free in the house and hutch in a conservatory in winter or utility room.

I never had any incidents with chewing but did have some very cuddly pets, happy to sit on my lap or in my arms. They would sit with me of an evening.

My neighbours at one time had some and had a kind of playpen for them indoors.

Domestic rabbits do not do well in the great outdoors. Wild ones are born to it so it isn't a case of keeping a wild animal captive, they can be trained but do need neutering as males tend to spray. I found the boys to be lovely and affectionate. Females un-neutered can get nippy.

Buffybee Mon 06-Jan-20 00:22:15

My Gs has a rabbit who lives in the utility room, he has a cage with a litter tray which he always uses, the door is left open and he also has accesss to the garden through a cat flap.
He plays with the dog and loves being stroked and his ears tickled but doesn’t like being picked up, probably as he hadn’t been handled as a baby.
I personally prefer cats but after saying that, the rabbit makes a lovely affectionate pet.

helenrowena Mon 06-Jan-20 00:27:41

Daughter has rabbit, chews wires and furntiure, ruined her carpets,

Guineapigs are great pets and can be put outside in a pen in nice weather to chew grass, They are a lot easier to look after than rabbits, We have had both, I would choose guinea pigs everytime, They dont jump over the pen or destroy things like rabbits do, Mine had fleece to sleep on and they stayed near this and their food and den even though I took the cage away. They are very easy to look after and affectionate, Mine lick my face, they are very cute,

Galaxy Mon 06-Jan-20 08:48:07

We have an indoor rabbit. He used to be indoor and outdoor but now has a condition which means he has to remain indoor. He uses his litter tray but does also leave pellets around. He never wees except in the litter tray. Lots of hair. He doesn't chew but our previous one chewed all the wallpaper off. They are not a neat animal , they must have fresh hay available at all times which can be messy. That sounds like a list of complaints but we do love him. It is strongly recommended that rabbits should live in pairs.

SpringyChicken Mon 06-Jan-20 09:59:44

Our rabbit lived outside but enjoyed coming into the house. Given the choice, I think he would have happily become a house rabbit with outdoor access. They need to be able to roll in the earth to dust bath their coats.
He was a rescue rabbit, a mongrel, probably no more than six months old as he hadn't finished growing. I picked up a lot of rabbits at the centre before choosing him - he was calm and accepting so was used to being handled.
We had him neutered as I read that neutered males make the best pets. It calms them down. He wasn't much of a digger ( I believe the females make the burrows) but would 'assist' in the garden by jumping into any planting hole I'd started to enlarge it. Also he enjoyed biting the hedge clippings smaller for me.
There are measures you can take to rabbit proof the house but I would think there would still be some casualties of the gnawing. Rabbit teeth and claws grow all the time so they have to gnaw really. It's not nice if a rabbit's teeth have to be filed down by the vet. Living outside, free to roam, ours never needed treatment for either.
I believe a solitary rabbit can be very happy with a human companion. Ours was definitely a happy boy. They are so affectionate (given the chance) and people underestimate their intelligence.

ladymuck Mon 06-Jan-20 10:09:48

I have had four indoor bunnies. Before you get one, you need to make your home rabbit-proof. They chew everything! I lost several electrical items because they chewed through the flex. They were not electrocuted but they could have been!

They can be trained to use a litter tray, but you still need to be prepared for 'toilet areas'.

Ideally, they should have access to a garden but be aware of cats! A cat can kill a rabbit very easily.
It may be unnatural to have rabbits indoors but they can be very rewarding pets. The Dutch dwarves dislike being cuddled but the others will happily sit on your lap, and they quickly become part of the family.
One last tip, it will need to be put in a cage at night, line the bottom of the cage with vinyl or sticky back plastic. Once the wood gets soaked with urine, you will never get rid of the smell.

patcaf Mon 06-Jan-20 22:03:31

Indoor rabbits will chew anything. Wires, wallpaper, carpet so be warned. They need to be caged when you are out. They do not live very long either. Sounds like a cat would be a better alternative. They are always looking for homes for senior cats , many of whom are quite happy to stay indoors.

NotTooOld Mon 06-Jan-20 22:16:39

We had a gorgeous little rabbit when the children were young. She lived outside in a hutch but we used to bring her indoors if we were home. She was friendly and cuddly and loved to race around the room jumping over things. We never tried to house train her as such so there were a few accidents but we were all sad when she died after a couple of years. I think a cat might be a better bet for you OP, to be honest.

picturepainter Sun 26-Jan-20 10:18:08

Hello. I started to keep rabbits when I was over forty and currently have two (I am now 58). Rabbits are complex creatures and they really need a companion to be happy as they spend hours grooming each other etc... I have to highlight that they are destructive in the house some more than others. A lot of chewed woodwork one of my current ones chews the floor in random places. Also though litter trays are good you need several and you have to put them in the same place all the time which is an area they select. Currently my older rabbit is becoming less concerned about where toileting happens but as he is elderly (11) I accept this. Rabbits are best neutered and I would recommend you get a ready bonded pair from a rescue. Male mini lops are in my experience the most friendly. I have a new rabbit that took a long time to bond with older rabbit and still doesnt like me and is too fast to catch but we make slow progress. They are work and mess and damage but oh so cute. I do not agree with the rabbit harness idea . They are not dogs and are prey creatures so always nervous they can die of heart attack if they see a dog etc... remember the phrase "bunny in the headlight" I worry that my less friendly at the moment rabbit will never be tame enough to be free in the garden the older one goes out every day like a dog sits by door to be let in or out and spends most of the day out in summer with me. Ideally they like to forage and graze but fresh hay every day is your best alternative if they are indoors. In my experience males are more easy going but each personality is so different. You have to think in terms of the rabbits needs over your own. Perhaps you could get experience by going to volunteer at a local animal shelter. I worked voluntarily for a while at the RSPCA helping get rabbits used to being handled. Guinea pigs are easier to handle and delightful little creatures. I have enjoyed all my rabbits in different ways. They do live till 14 which is another consideration.