Gransnet forums

Pets

15 year old cat

(22 Posts)
Pawprints2019 Mon 30-Sep-19 17:51:21

Hi all i have a 15 year old cat. I already taken her to the vet and she doesnt have diabities or thyroid but i cant afford any more tests. let me tell you her issues she cant eat well i am not sure she haas bad teeth or not but she struggles to eat. she drinks alot of water. Shes really skinny she only weights 6 pounds u can see her spine her hip bones everything. shee has diarrea at times shes has been clingy alot lately and sleeps alot she drinks alot of water sometimes to much at times i seen she had diarrea. Is it maybe a sign of some kind of cancer? she is still walking around she is also very vocal She been wanting to eat i guess thats good she just cant eat all that well any hints wuld be helpful i just cant afford anymore tests or surgies.

BlueBelle Mon 30-Sep-19 18:02:44

Your cat sounds as if she is at the end of her life and surely the kindest thing would be to put her to sleep and not let her suffer My last cat was around this age when she started to get very thin she ate, not a lot, but would sometimes bring bile up and sometimes have the runs her coat went from sleek and shiny black to brown she was very undernourished looking I took her to the vet and he said I can do all sorts of tests but the kindest thing would be to put her to sleep I held her in my arms and she was very content and the minute the needle went into her skin she was gone She was so weak

15 is over 100 in human years

Septimia Mon 30-Sep-19 18:18:20

If you're in the UK you could take your cat to the PDSA. If not, maybe there's a similar animal charity that would help.

However, as BlueBelle says, it sounds as if the kindest thing is to let your cat be put to sleep.

blondenana Mon 30-Sep-19 18:30:02

So sorry to read about your cat,it sounds like kidney failure to me, i have lost a few elderly cats to this,it is common in cats
One of mine though had diabetes, with these symptoms
Have you noticed what her breath smells like?
Diabetes can make their breath smell like pear drops or nail varnish remover but i would say kidneys
It is very hard to even think about losing them but it might be kinder if she's not eating but drinking a lot can be a sign of either flowers for you

Pawprints2019 Mon 30-Sep-19 18:30:24

She still eats and gets full shes comfty right now she likes to lay on my lap and still walks around like shes fine i mean i know she would tell me if shes towards the end but would u think she maybe has cancer?

Pawprints2019 Mon 30-Sep-19 18:31:18

She also doesnt seem like shes in pain

blondenana Mon 30-Sep-19 18:31:40

By the way a can being very vocal can be a sign of dementia

Pawprints2019 Mon 30-Sep-19 18:33:00

I had her at the vet a few months ago they said her kindeys were fine she didnt have diabities and her throyid was fine. she still eats she just struggles to eat like wen she does she leaves pieces on the floor i been thinking of getting her baby food or she loves to eat he rpattee cat can food

Pawprints2019 Mon 30-Sep-19 18:34:13

She still wnts to eat she meows and meows like shes so hungry but when she does she struggles a bit I know her teeth has to be bad to but i cant afford surgey

Pawprints2019 Mon 30-Sep-19 18:36:15

yes i was thinking she had deminita cause i think she forgets that she eats at times. like if she just ate. like 15 mins later hse meows again like shes starving im like you have food or you just ate.

SynchroSwimmer Mon 30-Sep-19 18:37:25

The symptoms more or less match what happened to my much loved older cat.
Drinking lots of water, became vocal, also very clingy at bedtime (friends had told me to expect this).
He had a last happy week in sunshine the garden and then on the last day I recognised that he was no longer happy in himself when he withdrew.

I did buy Tesco cheapest “value”range tiny frozen prawns for my other cat, at the same stage. She had a happy few hours in the sunshine eating as many as she wanted, and still eating on her final way to the vets (she was suddenly blind and lost use of her legs), in case that helps?

So hard letting them go, but taking comfort that we gave them a good life and are doing right by them on their final journey.

humptydumpty Mon 30-Sep-19 18:42:43

Pawprints is is possible as a previous poster suggested to take her to PDSA? If she is struggling to eat, perhaps they could check her teeth for free..

Pawprints2019 Mon 30-Sep-19 18:42:52

yes i mean she always been a loveable cat she loves to give kisses. but lately i noticed she always wants to jump on my lap just stare at me or just jump on my table tray and just stare or sit at my side. she never was like this and very vocal espically at night. She does still seem happy and wants to eat. She can still see im sure not 100% and still can hear me really good. I can tell tho at times her back legs want to give out.

Pawprints2019 Mon 30-Sep-19 18:43:44

humpty i live in the US and i already taken her to the vet and the vet said her teeth seem fine so it must not be them. she eats but like alot come flying out hwen she eats she cant chew like she wants it has to be tiny pieces

Willow500 Mon 30-Sep-19 19:11:15

How long is it since she had the blood tests for thyroid and kidney problems? Having trouble eating is a sign of kidney failure as is drinking a lot of water and loss of weight. I thought my old cat had teeth problems as there was a grinding noise in his jaw as he ate and the vet said that was to do with his kidneys.

Are there any pet charities in the US which could help with fees for more tests? It's very sad if she is suffering that you can't find some help for her.

Pawprints2019 Mon 30-Sep-19 19:14:37

I had her at the vet 5 months ago but like i say i struggle with money so its hard to pay alot ofr tests. I dont think their are charties i havent looked Im just trying to give her her last of life a good life until shes ready but i was just wondering if maybe she had canceer or something

etheltbags1 Mon 30-Sep-19 20:56:26

My sympathy My baby was 18 when I had her put down. She was drinking loads but not eating much. The last 2 days she slept never ate or drank I tried to get her to drink by dipping my finger in the bowl for her to lick. She was very peaceful I cuddled her lots over the weekend ans on the Monday took her to the vets. I now just have a 14 year old boy and every day is a bonus. He's spoiled rotten of course.

Charleygirl5 Mon 30-Sep-19 21:19:26

I would doubt very much if she has cancer- as others have said it is more likely to be teeth, kidney problems or digestive trouble. At least diabetes and thyroid problems were ruled out a while ago. Please do not let her suffer- google charities who may be able to help you.

Pawprints2019 Mon 30-Sep-19 22:33:22

Thank you for all your advice im signing up for a card to help with payments by a vet i have here in town and gonna take her fora checkup asap.

petra Mon 30-Sep-19 22:43:37

Pawprints
The exact symptoms that my 18 yr old had. She had cancer in her jaw. On her last visit to the vets for an exploratory I told the vet that if they found cancer, not to bring her round.
Broke my heart. I was with her mother when she gave birth to her.

HootyMcOwlface Mon 30-Sep-19 22:56:16

My cat has had teeth problems. She is normally very greedy but wasn’t eating, interested but not eating or taking a long time, having a little, going away and coming back for another little bit - totally not like her normal self. Took her to the vets and she had bad teeth. Had X-ray and they said that also a couple were being reabsorbed (sounded like our sensitive teeth) and these can’t be seen on a visual check. They are extremely painful for the cat. (The tooth reabsorbing thing sounded a bit weird, but I looked it up on the internet afterwards and it is a thing cats can get.) Could be your cat has teeth problems too.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 02-Oct-19 13:10:29

As the vet says there is nothing serious the matter, it is unlikely that she is unable to eat because of bad teeth, but could she have got a fish bone or something else sharp lodged in her mouth or throat? This happened to one of my cats and it was by pure chance the vet felt it when examining the roof of her mouth. The bone was easily removed.