Gransnet forums

Pets

New Dog

(62 Posts)
blondenana Sun 24-Nov-19 08:46:18

As some of you may have read,i lost my lovely little dog to dementia in August,
I am still very upset about it and misss her, it was suggested i find another, not to replace her of course but to help me cope with Lolas loss,and give me another reason to get up early and occupy me

I have got a poochon from another home, he needed a new home, because the lady was ill and husband works night so wasn't being taken for walk and needed more attention
He is lovely and called Luke apparently after Luke Skywalker as owner is a huge starwars fan
I would have got a rescue dog and did ring every rescue i could think of ,that i could get to fairlt easily, but there were no small dogs,and no guarantees that cats would be fine with them
I decided to see how he was being kept downstairs, for now at least, but came down to 3 puddles and some poo, luckily i have a laminate floor, but was thinking of carpeting my room again, thank goodness i didn't yet
My cats are as yet a bit spooked by him as he is quite young and bouncy, but i saw an ad with him laid with the owners cat which leapt out at me
Here are a couple of pics

Flossieturner Sun 24-Nov-19 08:52:59

He looks a lovely little fellow. How nice that you have been able to give him a new home. I am sure you will have such joy together.

Yehbutnobut Sun 24-Nov-19 08:57:33

You have rehomed a rescue dog even though you sought him out privately. Give him time, he is in a strange house with strange people and strange cats. He must be a bit bewildered as everything he knew before has gone.

Persevere. Love, patience and (most of all) trying to understand how he is feeling is the way forward. ??

Tedber Sun 24-Nov-19 09:34:20

He is adorable. I am loving all these poodle crosses. They do seem to make fabulous pets. Must be the poodle influence ?. We have one in family who is 3/4 poodle although has looks and traits of a Spaniel. Very good with cats, ducks, hens etc though. Lovely

Tedber Sun 24-Nov-19 09:35:55

This is our lovely boy

Susan56 Sun 24-Nov-19 09:39:09

Oh my goodness,he’s adorable.We lost our little dog nearly 12 months ago and are ready to get another although will probably be in the spring now.So happy that you and Luke found each other?

blondenana Sun 24-Nov-19 09:40:10

Thank you,yes he is lovely, and expected barking last night but he was very good,
We have been out for a walk and he did what he had to do, so i'm pleased about that
He does pull a lot on the lead, but so did Lola at first, so not worried about that he will calm down
I was really looking for an older dog,Luke is only 17 months old, so time yet , but being ok with the cats was the main think of course
I have a very large secure enclosed garden which he can't escape from and no one could get, into because of how the surrounding houses and fences are, also locked door to it

Curlywhirly Sun 24-Nov-19 09:47:17

Oh he's gorgeous! We have had our dog (now 9 years old) since she was 10 weeks old, and although she was house trained from 12 weeks, we still had the occasional accident until she was about 2. So, just perseve and hold off on getting that new carpet for a little while yet!

blondenana Sun 24-Nov-19 09:56:38

Tedber he is lovely, they call them teddybear dogs i believe
I still get very emotional about Lola, but i hope she would approve of Luke, nothing will ever replace her, but having had her decided me to have another, as i am more a cat person really and actually a bit frightened of strange dogs
My only other dogs i have had were a German Shepherd who lived to 17, and was an amazing dog, very kind and lovely to everyone and even looked after a stray kitten we found
The other was a border/lakeland terrier, also good with the cats i had then, but had a thing for a GS that lived up the road and kept trying to escape to her grin

Susan56 Sun 24-Nov-19 10:24:03

Tedber??

grandma60 Sun 24-Nov-19 11:03:59

Tedber
He is beautiful. Just waiting for a cuddle.

blondenana Sun 24-Nov-19 15:20:47

Took him down to the beach,but the tide was in so just went for a walk on the seafront, had couple of wees, but cme back and did both again on the floor,The previous owner said he slept on the bed but i am doubting that now,as he was quiet all night i think he would have been whining in a strange room on his on but he was really good,
Will just have to hope it is the newness of his home and hopefully will stop it

Tedber Sun 24-Nov-19 15:46:08

It probably is blondenana...... am sure he will get the message before long. Was he toilet trained at his previous? Well not toilet trained but you know what I mean?

As you say he is a totally different dog from Lola and I do think it is a good idea to get different breed. We did much same - my first love are actually German Sheps but I was so distraught when lost my last one I didn't want another dog at all! I honestly never thought I was going to get over it!

I really wish I had done what you have done now because it was ten years until I got this new one (couldn't be more chalk and cheese) It is primarily my grand daughters (although I picked the breed) but divides his time between our two houses. Also like you we all had cats. LOVE the pic of Luke with his feline friend.

He looks absolutely gorgeous.....

Framilode Sun 24-Nov-19 16:28:02

Well done, and I'm sure you've done the right thing.

We have adopted a little female dog from Romania. She had been very ill treated but is the most gentle, loving little dog you can imagine. She has filled a huge hole in our lives after we lost our other little dog last Christmas and I'm sure yours will do the same for you.

Like you a few hiccups at first but I am sure they will soon be sorted out.

sodapop Sun 24-Nov-19 17:22:29

He looks a lovely boy blondenana I'm sure you will have lots of fun with him. It's early days with the house training, all strange for the poor boy, he needs time to adjust.
Nothing like a dog for love and companionship is there. Good luck to you both.

Daisymae Sun 24-Nov-19 18:04:13

He looks lovely, sure you will have a great time together. I would try taking him outside every hour for the time being. Maybe reward him when he goes?

blondenana Mon 25-Nov-19 20:51:26

Thanks all, yes he is lovely, but i do feel guilty that the poor cats are staying upstairs as they are usually sat with me
I dont believe that the dog slept on the bed as i don't think he would be happy to stay downstairs on his own

I know i am very suspicious up to a point anyway, but i was due to get another dog, a bichon and gave the woman £50 ,
to bring him as i don't drive, but it turned out to be a scam,and apparently she has done this before
She is now being investigated by the fraud squad
I know i shouldn't have parted with any money but it was for petrol, so thought i was helping ,
Anyway i am happy with Luke ,just a bit worried about the cats

Fennel Mon 25-Nov-19 20:58:42

He does look gorgeous, a good choice.
Maybe he's weeing so much to put his imprint on his new home. Even when you've cleaned it up he'll be able to smell his identity there.

Alima Mon 25-Nov-19 21:09:28

He looks beautiful blondenanna! On past experience I am sure the cats will settle soon. (Years ago when our black and white Springer died we rescued a liver and white Springer very soon after. I thought the cats would be fine as they had all lived with a dog. Wrong. Jesse was fine but Nigel decided it was all too much and vanished for several days. We managed to get him home and they all lived together harmoniously mostly)

lavenderzen Mon 25-Nov-19 22:23:02

Luke is lovely blondennana. You have done the right thing.

I was in a similar situation, I lost my 14 year old a while ago, he is always with me, and the little fellow I rescued has a place in my heart too. He is 17 months old and a Springer King Charles cross, very lively but has a lovely nature.

Luke will settle, it just takes time, my little fellow did the "territory marking" too, but has stopped now. He was also a puller, but now has a new harness that is working a treat.

Good luck with him.

RubyLou Mon 25-Nov-19 22:30:55

Well done you because you did rescue, you took a dog from a family that couldn't look after him and stopped him from going to a shelter (or much worse). He looks absolutely gorgeous. My daughter rescued a lovely cocker spaniel who'd been kept as a stud dog and lived on his own in a shed. He wasn't house trained at all, it took a few months, but they cracked it and he's a delightful boy. Dogs are very adaptable and I'm sure Luke and your cats will come to terms with each other. Good luck, Lola will approve.

ClareAB Mon 25-Nov-19 23:06:53

We recently adopted a 10 month old Jack Russell girl. She had been bought in tragic circumstances, terminal illness, and because of that, had spent far too much time confined to a crate/very small back yard, and had no idea of how to be a dog.
The owner died, and we have had her for 3 months. She is a little pocket rocket of energy! We already had a lab girl, and with careful, watchful management, they are getting on well.
The little one, or 'tiny terrorist' as we affectionately call her, soaks up all the love we can give. She now sleeps in our bed, at the bottom and has become so much more chilled and confident.
For the first few weeks she was my shadow, now she prefers a bit of a lie in in the morning, a cuddle on dads knee, a play with our lab, a stretch out in front of the fire. It's lovely to see a sad, timid girl become happy and chilled. Hang in there, the give back so much more than they ever take,

lilypollen Mon 25-Nov-19 23:57:11

blondenana hopefully it's early days to get settled in and you are giving the little one a new life with love. Toilet habits might take a time as for any puppy/dog and once he gets into a routine in the new environment hopefully all good.

blondenana Tue 26-Nov-19 00:00:32

I think he is settling very well, but for 2 nights now the cats [or one of them] has had a poo in my bedroom, although i have always got a tray in a spare bedroom, so i think they are very stressed
As much as i don't fancy it i have put a covered one in my room,they all sleep on my bed, and Lola did too, no problems
I am taking him upstairs and walking him around without taking him directly to them.
The trouble is he is very boisterous, and is a jumper, so i think they are worried about that
He id very affectionate though
He isn't neutered which i will get done asap, and hopefully that might calm him down ,

Lola was older so very calm, and they took to her very quickly, she basically ignored them

Tedber Wed 27-Nov-19 11:57:11

Hope you have had another couple of good nights blondenana.

I am not sure I would have the dog sleeping upstairs but...your choice.

I am sure they will adjust but whether they will all end up bosom buddies is another question.

We already had a cat and when dog came along, what I did was keep the dog downstairs at night and cat upstairs. Both got very used to this and (I think cat felt secure knowing he was 'safe' upstairs)

They eventually got to stage where we could leave them both roaming about the house when we were out but the cat would never let dog too close. Dog was kept firmly in his place by cat. (using past tense as sadly said cat died suddenly this year - nothing to do with dog btw kidney failure).

We once had a cat and dog who slept together as in your pic of Luke - I loved that but won't happen with all cats. The most you can hope for is they jog along happily together apart! My mum also adopted a cat when she already had a dog and they grew very close to each other. Cat even used to accompany my dad and dog out on his nightly walks!

Non of this happened 'overnight' though so be patient and am sure it will come.