Gransnet forums

Pets

Cats sleeping on washing

(17 Posts)
Sallywally1 Tue 17-Dec-19 21:46:01

Why do cats like to sleep and or lie on washing or piles of clothes generally, particularly just washed clothes? My cat seems to think he has a right to do so and looks very put out when discouraged! I did buy him his own little bed once, but after a couple of tries he ignored it!

LadyGracie Tue 17-Dec-19 22:27:51

The simple answer is 'because they can'. I love the smell of clean bedding and I'm sure my cat does too!

Luckygirl Tue 17-Dec-19 22:28:39

But does it still smell clean after cat has been on it?

annsixty Tue 17-Dec-19 22:35:26

My lovely cat loves sleeping on clothes in the basket ready for ironing.
I have to take the top garment out and put it back in the wash.
I admit to loving her so much I forgive her for it.?

MissAdventure Tue 17-Dec-19 23:09:42

The people upstairs' cat loved clean washing so much he used to jump through my top window to come and sleep on my fresh ironing when I wasn't about.

shysal Wed 18-Dec-19 07:33:57

One of my cats insists on being 'made' into the bed when I change the sheets. I don't tuck anything in so that he can escape after a sleep.

TwiceAsNice Wed 18-Dec-19 07:42:14

My cat loves my bed. I have an old throw on top to save hair on the duvet but if I can’t find her when I come in after being out , if I lift up the duvet at the bottom of the bed, there she is completely under the covers. Do I care? I think not!

kircubbin2000 Wed 18-Dec-19 09:04:39

As soon as I put on clean bedding he is straight on it.

elastic Wed 18-Dec-19 09:07:28

Love this thread. More cat stories please!

elastic Wed 18-Dec-19 09:08:12

That's amazing Shysal. And so sweet.

Nortsat46 Wed 18-Dec-19 09:15:35

This is Minnie sitting on the clean washing

Charleygirl5 Wed 18-Dec-19 09:16:26

Ages ago I bought a chair for me viewing TV in my bedroom. Tara has decided it is her latest bed so I have popped a small cover over it because it would be difficult to remove cat hairs etc from the chair. She rests on my bed each night, being stroked whilst I read my book and when I switch off the light she moves to her latest bed, the chair. It also happens to be next to the radiator so if it is on she is in heaven. Her litter tray is in her bedroom next door with a single bed which she used to love. She has to walk downstairs for food and water.

Nortsat46 Wed 18-Dec-19 09:23:58

... and this is Minnie checking I have emptied the tumble drier properly ...

grandtanteJE65 Fri 20-Dec-19 14:38:41

We have two comfy rattan chairs in the kitchen, so we can sit in comfort and read the paper.

Our cat highly approves of these chairs, so when I recovered the cushions and sewed two large squares of the same material that can be tucked in round the seat cushion. It is far easier to pop the loose squares of cloth in with the rest of the washing than wash the cushions.

quizqueen Fri 20-Dec-19 14:51:51

When I get out of the shower I usually sit on the end of the bed, wrapped in the towel. My cat instantly jumps up and loves to come over and lie on top of the damp towel and the damp me!

AllTheLs Fri 20-Dec-19 14:55:14

Nortsat46 Please tell me you check each time you put the tumble drier on that Minnie isn't in there!!

She's a lovely cat - I've got a little black cat just like her. Her 'annoying' habit is to rumple up the pile of newly ironed clothes.

EllanVannin Fri 20-Dec-19 18:59:08

My D's dog opens the washing machine after it's finished, drags the washing out and lies on it. He's a thick-coated dog ( Pyrenean x Bernese ) so probably cools him down.

I imagine that's why the cats like to lie on washing. My cats don't bother with washing, it's my bed that they like and with one either side it's like sleeping in a straight-jacket. They don't appear to move in the night either. Bertie who's left out sleeps by the radiator in the hall.