Gransnet forums

Pets

Remmy

(6 Posts)
vinasol Sun 22-Dec-19 17:06:57

No doubt some members will be horrified at the thought, but I had a little pet rat called Remmy who died in my arms in March this year. I loved him so much. He was a gentle little character and he and I had rice crispies and toast for breakfast. I think about him a lot and will never forget him. Quite often it's cats and dogs who are pets, but rats are wonderful pets and so perfect for children. Remmy is buried under a large tree in my partner's garden.

LadyGracie Sun 22-Dec-19 18:10:44

Rats are lovely creatures and very intelligent, my 3 year old granddaughter wants one for Christmas after holding one in nursery, along with snakes, spiders and frogs. She's a bit young yet mind to have a pet.

Hetty58 Sun 22-Dec-19 18:15:26

My daughter had pet rats. They were very clever and lovely. Yes, three is too young for pets, I think.

lavenderzen Sun 22-Dec-19 18:47:20

We love our pets very much, and when they leave us they leave a huge hole in our lives. Just like your lovely Remmy did when you had to say goodbye.

SalsaQueen Sun 22-Dec-19 19:10:20

Rats make wonderful pets. Some years ago, one of my sons (he was about 16 at the time, he's 38 now) had a pet rat named Guinness (dark brown with a white head), and we all loved him, with his playful ways, his intelligence and friendly nature.

The death of ANY much-loved pet is sad. x

Tedber Tue 24-Dec-19 20:22:32

Aww vinasol...I have never had a pet rat but I always love their little faces. Whenever I've watched 'Im a celebrity' I often think I would never be bothered about the rats crawling all over me. Sewer rats erm..maybe? but pet rats definitely not.

Also agree....losing any pet is as traumatic as losing anyone else.

My mum died this year in January and I was absolutely devastated. My best friend died in March and again I was destraught then my little ginger tom, Duke, died suddenly without warning in April! He was only 10 and had been really well prior. He was on my bed on night as normal, jumped off the next day and collapsed! I honestly couldn't have told you who I was crying most for? People just don't understand sometimes about animals. They ARE our family too.